Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair
Fake ID Fake ID is offline

Default emergency milk

In article ,
Carlos Eduardo Vieira wrote:
I'm not sure which ng to ask this question in, but it's
related to homes
but not to repair and it's related to food but not to cooking.

I use Costco milk and cream (the real stuff, 100% stuff,
not the watered
down stuff) for my ice cream and coffee.

I live a score of miles from the nearest grocery store
(other than a 7-11
gas station complex about a dozen miles away at a
highway exit), which
makes a round trip for milk an hour in transit (there's
generally no
traffic unless there's an accident).

For emergencies for the milk for ice cream and coffee, I
have resorted to
canned milk (both types) but they change the flavor too
much (they're not
really milk at all, it seems).

Then someone suggested "powdered milk", which I went to
the grocery store
to buy, only to my horror to find that it's far more
expensive than fresh
milk! (About $18 for 20 quarts worth of the powder.)

Normally the "crap" solution is the cheapest, where I
was in for a shock
that the price for that crap powdered milk solution is
more than twice the
price for the fresh milk solution.

Why?

Do you find the same price disparity where you live?
Is there any other "emergency milk" solution out there?

UHT, ultra high temperature, pasteurized milk.
Sold in a box container, but whole and non-fat varieties.
Does not need refrigeration until opened.
Might be hard to find--last seen at the dollar store.
Tastes far better than reconstituted powder milk, but not quite as good as fresh.

Dietitian made us switch to almond milk. More expensive than dairy milk, but with a substantially longer shelt life.