Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/18 3:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Where did you buy the new fluid ? Usually they will take used for recycling.

Like:
https://www.autozone.com/landing/pag...responsibility
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 2:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Â* Many chain auto parts stores accept it for recycling . Or you could
use it in a waste oil burner to melt aluminum and brass to cast into
useful and decorative items . I wouldn't recommend it for a forge though
, don't know what is in there that might contaminate your metal .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 3:29 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/9/2018 2:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Â* Many chain auto parts stores accept it for recycling . Or you could
use it in a waste oil burner to melt aluminum and brass to cast into
useful and decorative items . I wouldn't recommend it for a forge though
, don't know what is in there that might contaminate your metal .

I used to drop off oil at Pep Boys and once left a battery. You could
just leave it near the shop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 12:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

I take it to the city haz-waste site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:18:29 -0400, K120
wrote:

I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Does the trash service have a drop off station? They tagged me once
for a partial gallon of old paint. Then I put the can in the
neighbors 97 gallon trash can.

As others say, an auto parts store, maybe, or a auto lube shop may
take it. IIRC ATF is basically detergent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 3:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Put it in opaque motor oil bottles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 2:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Â* Many chain auto parts stores accept it for recycling . Or you could
use it in a waste oil burner to melt aluminum and brass to cast into
useful and decorative items . I wouldn't recommend it for a forge though
, don't know what is in there that might contaminate your metal .

I used to drop off oil at Pep Boys and once left a battery. You could
just leave it near the shop.

I know Pep Boys takes used motor oil here. He could try similar auto parts
chains. Also we have a county hazardous waste facility that takes antifreeze,
oil, paint, just about anything like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:27:28 -0400, ""Retired" said:

Where did you buy the new fluid ?
Usually they will take used for recycling.

I buy the atf at O'Reillys.
I called them up.
They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it.
No cross contamination is allowed they say.
So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say.
I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.

I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

I take it to my friendly local transmission shop. Just like I take my
used engine oil to the local "Canadian Tire" outlet where I buy my new
oil
Posted to alt.home.repair

"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2018 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 3:18 PM, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Put it in opaque motor oil bottles.

The local garbage company specifies clear containers for pickup. I took
mine (oil) to the HazMat Days last month and they didn't bitch about a
gallon Rotella jug. They did hand a guy's brake fluid back to him though.

The oil drop off was separate from the rest of the operation.
Unfortunately I got in the wrong line that I couldn't get out of and
spent about 20 minutes fuming. The workers were unloading items piece by
piece and carefully reading labels to see exactly what sort of hazardous
substance it might be.

Screw that. There's a transmission shop in town that burns used oil in
their shop heater. I'll bring it to them next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2018 07:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

The one here does provided it's in a clear container next to the trash
container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2018 9:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

Ours had for the past 20 years or so. At first it was recycled
somewhere but now they use it in an oil burner designed for it to heat
the shed at the landfill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/18 9:22 PM, K120 wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:27:28 -0400, ""Retired" said:

Where did you buy the new fluid ? Usually they will take used for
recycling.

I buy the atf at O'Reillys.
I called them up.
They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it.
No cross contamination is allowed they say.
So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say.
I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.

I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam.
Thanks!

You did "rinse" the milk bottles before filling with atf, right ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:23:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/9/2018 9:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

Ours had for the past 20 years or so. At first it was recycled
somewhere but now they use it in an oil burner designed for it to heat
the shed at the landfill.

Safety Kleen (BresLube) has re-refinery half way between here and the
airport. 15Km to the airport. They re-refine a lot of the used oil in
this area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 9:22:15 PM UTC-4, K120 wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:27:28 -0400, ""Retired" said:

Where did you buy the new fluid ?
Usually they will take used for recycling.

I buy the atf at O'Reillys.
I called them up.
They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it.

What does that mean? How would they or anyone know who sold oil
that is now old and used? If you put a quart of product you bought
there in and then drained 5 out, now what?

No cross contamination is allowed they say.
So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say.
I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.

I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2018 09:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag
mixed in with the rest of the trash.Â* They've never rejected it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 21:22:11 -0400, K120
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:27:28 -0400, ""Retired" said:

Where did you buy the new fluid ?
Usually they will take used for recycling.

I buy the atf at O'Reillys.
I called them up.
They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it.
No cross contamination is allowed they say.
So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say.
I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.

I noticed a sign at Firestone in Maryland that the law requires t hem to
take it.

There is also a county site, where I think it is recycled. They have
places for kerosene and antifreeze at the county site also.

What state do you live in?

I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam.
Thanks!

Yes, the spam is disgusting. Bufor is a pig.

There were always a few OT discussions among regular posters, but he's
still a pig.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:11:18 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 9:22:15 PM UTC-4, K120 wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:27:28 -0400, ""Retired" said:

Where did you buy the new fluid ?
Usually they will take used for recycling.

I buy the atf at O'Reillys.
I called them up.
They said they take up to five gallons if they sold it.

What does that mean?

They want to see a receipt that he bought atf. They might not insist on
it.

Apple wanted a copy of the owner's drivers license and a power of
attorney before they would unlock an ipad the the owner's late brother
had locked. After I got all that stuff, he didn't ask for it, didn't
look at it.

Walmart seemed to say they wanted the bar code number to pick somethiung
up but they only looked at my name on my driver's license.

How would they or anyone know who sold oil
that is now old and used?

There are radioactive" markers that show where the oil was sold

If you put a quart of product you bought
there in and then drained 5 out, now what?

No cross contamination is allowed they say.
So it can't be atf in a motor oil container they say.
I have to sign something before they'll take it they say.

I almost couldn't find this thread in all the spam.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2018-10-09, K120 wrote:
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Popular Science magazine in their feature series "Hints From the Model Garage"
addressed this issue for motor oil, and transmission fluid would be disposed
of the same way. It's the bottom left item on the page:

https://books.google.ae/books?id=myA...1 963&f=false

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to
manage your cigarette.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2018 6:33 PM, Bill wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2018 4:12 AM, Tom wrote:
On 10/09/2018 09:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news
I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?

Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag
mixed in with the rest of the trash.Â* They've never rejected it.

Label the bag appropriately, and see if they accept it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2018 9:55 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/10/2018 4:12 AM, Tom wrote:
On 10/09/2018 09:36 PM, catalpa wrote:
"K120" wrote in message
news I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?
Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag mixed in with the rest of the trash.Â* They've never rejected it.

Label the bag appropriately, and see if they accept it.

Oh great, now the lefties want us to label our trash?Â*Â* I suppose we need to do multilingual labels as well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"K120" wrote in message
news I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask
anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen
milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?
Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag
mixed in with the rest of the trash.Â* They've never rejected it.

Label the bag appropriately, and see if they accept it.

Oh great, now the lefties want us to label our trash?Â*Â* I suppose we
need to do multilingual labels as well?

Well, you could just follow the rules of your waste service. Or not, if
you are one of those "superior" righties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.

How about brake shops back in the day blowing off brakes with an air hose,
dust flying everywhere, with no dust masks or containment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.

How about brake shops back in the day blowing off brakes with an air hose,
dust flying everywhere, with no dust masks or containment.

Cough, cough, cough - it is just allergies.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.

How about brake shops back in the day blowing off brakes with an air hose,
dust flying everywhere, with no dust masks or containment.

Cough, cough, cough - it is just allergies.

I very quickly adopted the use of a water hose instead of an air
hose - -- wash them down and squeegee the evidence down the drain
where the dust was caught by the oil in the grease trap - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:26:56 -0400, Tekkie®

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.

How about brake shops back in the day blowing off brakes with an air hose,
dust flying everywhere, with no dust masks or containment.

Cough, cough, cough - it is just allergies.

In public school we used asbestos and plaster of paris in art class
- - - as a "modelling clay"
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Decades ago we would ask for used tyranny fluid (preferably red) to
coat and preserve aging board fences. Wonderful product

Decades ago we would not have even thought to wear gloves when we
applied it... Of course, it would be a little more difficult to manage
your cigarette.

Yes. I remember a plumber doing a repair on a pipe at work. He was
tearing off the asbestos insulation with a cigarette hanging out of his
mouth.

How about brake shops back in the day blowing off brakes with an air hose,
dust flying everywhere, with no dust masks or containment.

Cough, cough, cough - it is just allergies.

I had an uncle who worked for Marshall Eclipse, aka the Marshall
Asbestos Corporation when Bendix bought it. He died of allergies...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2018 02:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
In public school we used asbestos and plaster of paris in art class
- - - as a "modelling clay"

We've got some sweet real estate deals in a very scenic part of the state:

https://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/li...Speed=noscript
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:37:42 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/15/2018 02:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
In public school we used asbestos and plaster of paris in art class
- - - as a "modelling clay"

We've got some sweet real estate deals in a very scenic part of the state:

https://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/li...Speed=noscript

The new Interstate, I-11 was recently finished in NV. (bypass Boulder
City to cross the bridge below the Dam. Asbestos was discovered
laying above the soil. Anyway, your GPS may not know of I-11 yet.

"...In December 2013, UNLV researchers discovered naturally occurring
asbestos in the area that the Boulder City bypass was going to be
constructed in. Containing the asbestos and monitoring the surrounding
air to keep workers safe was estimated to cost at least an additional
$12 million dollars..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_11
Posted to alt.home.repair

"K120" wrote in message
news I found this newsgroup but it seems to be only spam but I'll ask
anyway.

My trash company on Monday wrote "motor oil only" on my half-dozen
milk
jugs with red transmission fluid in them.

Where do you dump used transmission fluid in the USA?
Your trash company takes motor oil? Never heard that before.

I put drain oil in an old milk jug and then put that in a trash bag
mixed in with the rest of the trash.Â* They've never rejected it.

Label the bag appropriately, and see if they accept it.

Oh great, now the lefties want us to label our trash?Â*Â* I suppose we
need to do multilingual labels as well?

Well, you could just follow the rules of your waste service. Or not, if
you are one of those "superior" righties.

OK we will now label our trash "Bob F".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/15/2018 02:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
In public school we used asbestos and plaster of paris in art class
- - - as a "modelling clay"

We've got some sweet real estate deals in a very scenic part of the state:

https://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/li...Speed=noscript

The new Interstate, I-11 was recently finished in NV. (bypass Boulder
City to cross the bridge below the Dam. Asbestos was discovered
laying above the soil. Anyway, your GPS may not know of I-11 yet.

"...In December 2013, UNLV researchers discovered naturally occurring
asbestos in the area that the Boulder City bypass was going to be
constructed in. Containing the asbestos and monitoring the surrounding
air to keep workers safe was estimated to cost at least an additional
$12 million dollars..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_11

Asbestos can be a problem and not just a dust mask is required but you
want to keep it off your clothes that you wear home. A friend just
retired from a shop that worked with Corian and said he is still getting
rid of the dust on his clothes and in the house.

Another friend worked with it but did it outside without protection
figuring the breeze would blow particles away. He's retired and has
slight asbestosis. Unlike other particulate asbestos is not attacked by
bodily fluids and cilia in the lungs cannot push it all out. Corian
dust is OK but not asbestos.

What bugs me are those that think if asbestos is just nearby it will
jump up and get them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2018 01:08 PM, Oren wrote:
The new Interstate, I-11 was recently finished in NV. (bypass Boulder
City to cross the bridge below the Dam. Asbestos was discovered
laying above the soil. Anyway, your GPS may not know of I-11 yet.

Is there anything on the AZ side yet? I came up through Kingman last
fall and it looked like the same old same old. I stopped and went back
across the dam for old times sake. Walked around looked at stuff but I
skipped the visitor center; I'm allergic to metal detectors.

That takes all the fun out of it. Dragging a 53' trailer across the dam
and up through the canyon used to be interesting.