Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Type A transmission fluid

Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? I have to refill
and replace my '95 LeBaron conervertible power top motor/pump and I
guess I know anything will work fine, but the just about identical '88
motor I'm replacing it with says to use Type A.

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dexron

DEXRONŽ-III MERCONŽ provides superior wear protection for all passenger cars
and light trucks requiring the use of a Type A or Type A Suffix A, DEXRONŽ,
DEXRONŽ-II, DEXRONŽ-IIE, DEXRONŽ-III or MERCONŽAutomatic Transmission
Fluid --

wrote in message
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? I have to refill
and replace my '95 LeBaron conervertible power top motor/pump and I
guess I know anything will work fine, but the just about identical '88
motor I'm replacing it with says to use Type A.

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? ...

Except for those that don't... It's been so long since I had
anything except GM I really am not sure, but I believe there's still a
difference between the old Type F and equivalents...

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?

Again, don't think it was ever labeled as Type A (because while it met/
exceded those standards, that wasn't the standard it was labeled
against) but was an acceptable substitute.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 May 2007 14:28:16 -0700, dpb wrote:

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? ...

Except for those that don't... It's been so long since I had
anything except GM I really am not sure, but I believe there's still a
difference between the old Type F and equivalents...

It turns out that Type F was also an outgrowth of Type A, so maybe F
meets A standards as well.

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?

Again, don't think it was ever labeled as Type A (because while it met/
exceded those standards, that wasn't the standard it was labeled
against) but was an acceptable substitute.

OK, I probably read what you said somewhere, or maybe what User
posted, but I didn't find it today when I looked.

At any rate, it turns out I didn't need any more fluid anyhow. If
interested in a story, see A Story, not a Question, which is about 3
to 5 threads down from this one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? ...

Except for those that don't... It's been so long since I had
anything except GM I really am not sure, but I believe there's still a
difference between the old Type F and equivalents...

It turns out that Type F was also an outgrowth of Type A, so maybe F
meets A standards as well.

No, I'm sure there were differences there -- not so much in lubricity
but in viscosity and other more esoteric properties. You definitely
did not want to either mix them nor use the one where the other was
called for.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? I have to refill
and replace my '95 LeBaron conervertible power top motor/pump and I
guess I know anything will work fine, but the just about identical '88
motor I'm replacing it with says to use Type A.

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?

OK, the nostalgia bug hit so I did a little looking...

Couple of comments on your questions in addition to before -- Dexron
and Mercon are different. Mercon was the Ford follow-on to Type F.
What the looking reminded me of was what the "F" was was a "high
friction" type for the Ford transmissions of the day. Those
transmissions were designed significantly different than the GM and
required more friction-transmission properties (and consequently had
to withstand higher temperatures). A Type A in a Ford transmission
would break down early and not provide good performance at all whereas
the frictional properties of the Type F in a GM tranny sorta' "gummed
it up" as a catchall description. Definitely was a bad deal to use
the wrong one for any length of time.

But, for your case, despite your later note you don't need additional
fluid, I'll note I'd go w/ the recommendation for the pump, I'd go w/
the pump recommendation rather than the motor if you're switching and
they're significantly different. For that purpose, however, I agree
most any will work fine, but I would try to avoid mixing types.

As a finale, here's a brief description of the current class of most
popular ATFs -- note that those that need Type F still are not
compatible w/ Mercon/Dexron(s)...

DEXRON(r) -III
This is a specification for General Motors vehicles, but many foreign
manufactures specify a DEXRON approved ATF as well. DEXRON-III can be
used in transmissions that call for DEXRON-IIE or DEXRON-II.

MERCON(r)

Most Ford vehicles manufactured between 1980 and 1999 specify a MERCON
ATF. ATFs that meet DEXRON-III requirements usually meet the MERCON
requirements as well.

MERCON(r) V

Beginning with the 1997 model year, Ford introduced a higher
performance level ATF with the MERCON V specification. Many Ford
automatic transmissions from 1999 on will require a MERCON V fluid.
The most notable exceptions are the E40D, 4R100, and CD4E
transmissions, which still specify regular MERCON ATF.

Type F

Type F is specifically designed for all pre-1977 Ford vehicles and
some makes between 1977 and 1981. Effective March 1997, Ford
discontinued administration of approvals for Type F fluids. However,
there are still many vehicles on the road that use Type F. Type F and
MERCON fluids are not interchangeable.

ATF+3(r) /ATF+4(r)

DaimlerChrysler has had their own ATF specifications for many years,
but as of 1997, Chrysler owners' manuals no longer list DEXRON as an
acceptable replacement. ATF+3 is a readily available mineral oil-based
ATF that is suitable in any application calling for ATF PLUS(r) , ATF
+2(r) , or a Type 7176(r) fluid. Vehicles manufactured after 1999
require ATF+4(r), a synthetic-based ATF only available through
DaimlerChrysler.

From http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/306.cfm

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 7:31 am, dpb wrote:
On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:

Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,

OK, I had found a couple of other things that I meant to add (and I
promise this is the last )...I looked at the SAE site on standards
for ATF and found two abstracts that had some interesting info..

First is abstract from a technical paper "History of Automotive
Lubrication" --
Today's lubricant quality is defined by classifications, or
specifications, that are established by taking into account
metallurgy, equipment design, and/or operating conditions. For engine
oils, the American Petroleum Institute (API), the Society of
Automotive Engineers (SAE), and the American Society for Testing and
Materials (ASTM) are the key bodies that define industry needs,
establish classifications, and develop test methods to assure that
lubricants meet the required performance. For gear oils, API and the
Coordinating Research Council (CRC) play a similar role. The U.S.
Military and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) have their own
performance requirements that are usually over and above those of the
API/SAE/ASTM and API/CRC. The performance requirements of automatic
transmission fluids (ATFs) are established by OEMs, such as General
Motors Corporation (GM) and the Ford Motor Company. ...

The second was a paper written by GM engineers for some conference in
1968 which was for the dual purpose of getting the info out and
promoting the (then new) product --

Title: Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluids Are Higher Quality Than
Formerly Used Type A Fluids

Author(s):
Robert L. Anderson - General Motors Res. Labs.
Norman A. Hunstad - General Motors Res. Labs.

Abstract:
The minimum quality of Dexron automatic transmission fluids is higher
than that of the formerly used Type A fluids. They will provide
improved transmission operation, both initially and for extended
periods of service.

These fluids were developed principally to achieve longer shift-time
retention and clutch plate durability. Advances were also made in
respect to low-temperature fluidity, antifoam quality, fluid-seal
compatibility, oxidation resistance, and fluid-nylon compatibility.
This paper reviews the development of these fluids, and outlines the
recently established specification requirements and qualification
procedures which are used to define this higher quality level for
fluids supplied to the service fluid market.

I'm sure a search for Ford and Chrysler would produce similar
reports...

So, overall, it is a case of the manufacturers developed products
specifically designed for their own needs.