Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Type A transmission fluid

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? I have to refill
and replace my '95 LeBaron conervertible power top motor/pump and I
guess I know anything will work fine, but the just about identical '88
motor I'm replacing it with says to use Type A.

Did Dexron Mercon used to be labeled type A also?

OK, the nostalgia bug hit so I did a little looking...

Couple of comments on your questions in addition to before -- Dexron
and Mercon are different. Mercon was the Ford follow-on to Type F.
What the looking reminded me of was what the "F" was was a "high
friction" type for the Ford transmissions of the day. Those
transmissions were designed significantly different than the GM and
required more friction-transmission properties (and consequently had
to withstand higher temperatures). A Type A in a Ford transmission
would break down early and not provide good performance at all whereas
the frictional properties of the Type F in a GM tranny sorta' "gummed
it up" as a catchall description. Definitely was a bad deal to use
the wrong one for any length of time.

But, for your case, despite your later note you don't need additional
fluid, I'll note I'd go w/ the recommendation for the pump, I'd go w/
the pump recommendation rather than the motor if you're switching and
they're significantly different. For that purpose, however, I agree
most any will work fine, but I would try to avoid mixing types.

As a finale, here's a brief description of the current class of most
popular ATFs -- note that those that need Type F still are not
compatible w/ Mercon/Dexron(s)...

DEXRON(r) -III
This is a specification for General Motors vehicles, but many foreign
manufactures specify a DEXRON approved ATF as well. DEXRON-III can be
used in transmissions that call for DEXRON-IIE or DEXRON-II.

MERCON(r)

Most Ford vehicles manufactured between 1980 and 1999 specify a MERCON
ATF. ATFs that meet DEXRON-III requirements usually meet the MERCON
requirements as well.

MERCON(r) V

Beginning with the 1997 model year, Ford introduced a higher
performance level ATF with the MERCON V specification. Many Ford
automatic transmissions from 1999 on will require a MERCON V fluid.
The most notable exceptions are the E40D, 4R100, and CD4E
transmissions, which still specify regular MERCON ATF.

Type F

Type F is specifically designed for all pre-1977 Ford vehicles and
some makes between 1977 and 1981. Effective March 1997, Ford
discontinued administration of approvals for Type F fluids. However,
there are still many vehicles on the road that use Type F. Type F and
MERCON fluids are not interchangeable.

ATF+3(r) /ATF+4(r)

DaimlerChrysler has had their own ATF specifications for many years,
but as of 1997, Chrysler owners' manuals no longer list DEXRON as an
acceptable replacement. ATF+3 is a readily available mineral oil-based
ATF that is suitable in any application calling for ATF PLUS(r) , ATF
+2(r) , or a Type 7176(r) fluid. Vehicles manufactured after 1999
require ATF+4(r), a synthetic-based ATF only available through
DaimlerChrysler.

From http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/306.cfm