Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Type A transmission fluid

On May 14, 5:38 pm, mm wrote:
On 14 May 2007 14:28:16 -0700, dpb wrote:

On May 14, 3:04 pm, mm wrote:
Found almost nothing about Type A transmission fluid on the net,
except that it was used in the 40's and 50's, and yet I thought I
bought or used some decades later than that.

Does every xmission fluid meet Type A standards now? ...

Except for those that don't... It's been so long since I had
anything except GM I really am not sure, but I believe there's still a
difference between the old Type F and equivalents...

It turns out that Type F was also an outgrowth of Type A, so maybe F
meets A standards as well.

No, I'm sure there were differences there -- not so much in lubricity
but in viscosity and other more esoteric properties. You definitely
did not want to either mix them nor use the one where the other was
called for.