Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mower Engines And Brands ?

Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2018 5:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:

Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

Same as always; Craftsman has never been anything but a brand; all
products were, are and have always been made by contract supply; who
makes what is embedded in the product number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:01:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert11
wrote:

Hi,
Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.
Questions, please:
a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?
Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?
b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.
Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?
c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?
Any thoughts on their mowers ?
Thanks,
Bob

Why not go electric ?

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/L...6/RMA-510.aspx

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2018 6:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've been happy with my Honda. Going strong after 10 years and just
talked to a guy this am and he has the same Honda and is happy with it.

I think it was Murray that made Craftsman.

If I had a small lawn, say less than 1/4 acre, I would consider a
battery operated electric. The one suggested has 2 batteries which is
good but I see nothing up front about run time and have seen an ad for
one that runs up to an hour. I'd also want self propelled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

Cannot buy Tecumseh any more - period.

Now yopu have choice of Briggs, PowerMor, Honda, or unknown clone.

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Husky will be expensinve nomatter what motor they put on.

Honda is generally speaking a better engine so worth a bit more.

Briggs isn't bad either.

I have a "bolton" Chonda clone on my old Yazoo.

Works fine, twice the horsepower of the 50+ year old Briggs that came
off of it, on about the same fuel burn

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

They've pretty much always been made by someone else. The craftsman
snow blowers a few years ago were made by Husky
Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Buy a TORO - either Briggs or Honda powered

Not cheap but generally worth the price premium

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2018 18:51:45 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Murray made SOME craftsman mowers - but certainly not all.
MTD made MANY, along with Husky (Husquvarna?)
AYP has als omade Craftsman equipment.
Stanley now owns the craftsman name. Stanley is part of the "Blackened
Decker" group of companies so you can expect quality to go down like
on everything else they have touched.

If I had a small lawn, say less than 1/4 acre, I would consider a
battery operated electric. The one suggested has 2 batteries which is
good but I see nothing up front about run time and have seen an ad for
one that runs up to an hour. I'd also want self propelled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2018 6:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

Yes, about the same, both good for a few years.

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Yes, but having gone through a bunch of the others, Honda is the way to
go. Cost per years will be the lowest starting about year 5, the time
the others are going to crap.

Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Get the Honda and be done for years to come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2018 04:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:
a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

None of the above. It's not self-propelled but I have a TroyBilt with a
Honda engine that works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:01:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Unless you have to mow uphill, think hard before buying self-propelled.
I have 2 Honda powered mowers, the new one being self-propelled.
The non-self-propelled one is much easier to handle in tight spots, and easy to push on
long passes. If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought the self-propelled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2018 5:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Thanks,
Bob

Â* Have you considered re-powering the mower you have ? I purchased a
"used" Honda OHC engine for my tiller , right at a hundred bucks . It
looked brand new - these motors come off equipment with other problems ,
in my case a power washer with a bad pump . The paint on the muffler
wasn't even discolored ... but it darn sure is now , and I'm very happy
with my decision . Another thing , this is a 6 hp motor , the original
Briggs was only 3.5 .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/25/2018 07:25 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:01:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Unless you have to mow uphill, think hard before buying self-propelled.
I have 2 Honda powered mowers, the new one being self-propelled.
The non-self-propelled one is much easier to handle in tight spots, and easy to push on
long passes. If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought the self-propelled.

I've never used a variable speed self-propelled mower but a
non-self-propelled moves exactly as fast as I want to on any given day
without messing with a complex drive train.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

Stanley now owns the craftsman name. Stanley is part of the "Blackened
Decker" group of companies so you can expect quality to go down like
on everything else they have touched.

You have that right.

--
Tekkie