Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Mower Engines And Brands ?

On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:01:32 -0700 (PDT), Robert11
wrote:

Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

Cannot buy Tecumseh any more - period.

Now yopu have choice of Briggs, PowerMor, Honda, or unknown clone.

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Husky will be expensinve nomatter what motor they put on.

Honda is generally speaking a better engine so worth a bit more.

Briggs isn't bad either.

I have a "bolton" Chonda clone on my old Yazoo.

Works fine, twice the horsepower of the 50+ year old Briggs that came
off of it, on about the same fuel burn

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

They've pretty much always been made by someone else. The craftsman
snow blowers a few years ago were made by Husky
Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Buy a TORO - either Briggs or Honda powered

Not cheap but generally worth the price premium

Thanks,
Bob