Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Mower Engines And Brands ?

On Fri, 25 May 2018 18:51:45 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/25/2018 6:01 PM, Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Will probably go for a new Mower.
21' or 22". and self propelled.

Questions, please:

a. Any consensus re Briggs & Stratton vs. Tecumseh in the size
ranges for the mowers I'd be interested in ?

Or, both pretty much the same in quality ?

b. I see Honda Motors on Hsquva brand mowers.
Quite pricey.

Any thoughts on these, motor and/or Mower by Hsquva ? Worth the premium ?

c. Our Ace Hardware has Craftsman with the B&S engine.
Can't imagine who makes Craftsman anymore.
Do they still exist as a real company, or just someone using their name ?

Any thoughts on their mowers ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've been happy with my Honda. Going strong after 10 years and just
talked to a guy this am and he has the same Honda and is happy with it.

I think it was Murray that made Craftsman.

Murray made SOME craftsman mowers - but certainly not all.
MTD made MANY, along with Husky (Husquvarna?)
AYP has als omade Craftsman equipment.
Stanley now owns the craftsman name. Stanley is part of the "Blackened
Decker" group of companies so you can expect quality to go down like
on everything else they have touched.

If I had a small lawn, say less than 1/4 acre, I would consider a
battery operated electric. The one suggested has 2 batteries which is
good but I see nothing up front about run time and have seen an ad for
one that runs up to an hour. I'd also want self propelled.