Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nine new engines? -- six new transmissions? -- 60 new engines and transmissions?

Anthony wrote:

In the near future, you'll see 2.0L 4 cylinder engines with 225-300 hp
with good low end torque and perfect driveability. They will include
newer technlogies such as variable displacement turbochargers, variable
cams on both intake and exhaust, very lightweight valves, internal
cooling gallery pistons, servo controlled, extremely quick acting EGR and
other technologies that will allow much improved economy and emissions
from current tech.

Thanks for the update. My burning question is, however, will this engine and the rest of
the car make 250,000 miles if I take care of it?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Thanks for the update. My burning question is, however, will this engine and the rest of
the car make 250,000 miles if I take care of it?

That's a good question. In the dirt bike world, I've always been a
thumper fan, so was thrilled when not too many years ago, everyone got
deadly serious about competitive 4 stroke race bikes. Well, they've
largely gotten there, but only with loads of high tech and complexity.
I've been out of the dirt bike game for years, but some friends have
said that rebuilding a racing thumper is not for the ham fisted. Not to
mention requiring many more, more expensive parts, than a 2 stroke.

250k miles? Only time will tell...

btw, I've been very impressed with my wife's Ford Sapphire over in Oz.
While not a hot rod, it has oodles of torque. It takes a fair bit of
concentration on my part to keep it under 110km/hr on the highway. Even
on a decent grade, a few moments distraction and I've found myself up to
120-130. I took a peek under the hood, it's a monster straight 6 with
fuel injection. I'd long wondered how a big straight 6 would work with
FI, now I know. And I'll bet taken care of, that engine is good for
several hundred thousand miles, easy.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:13:38 -0500, Wes wrote:

Anthony wrote:

In the near future, you'll see 2.0L 4 cylinder engines with 225-300 hp
with good low end torque and perfect driveability. They will include
newer technlogies such as variable displacement turbochargers, variable
cams on both intake and exhaust, very lightweight valves, internal
cooling gallery pistons, servo controlled, extremely quick acting EGR and
other technologies that will allow much improved economy and emissions
from current tech.

Thanks for the update. My burning question is, however, will this engine and the rest of
the car make 250,000 miles if I take care of it?

Wes

Quite possibly 300,000.

Every year the darn things get better - in many ways anyway.

GM? Lets hope we START to see improvements, as they've been building
the 3.8 for how many decades and STILL have not solved their most
glaring defects.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

250k miles? Only time will tell...

btw, I've been very impressed with my wife's Ford Sapphire over in Oz.
While not a hot rod, it has oodles of torque. It takes a fair bit of
concentration on my part to keep it under 110km/hr on the highway. Even
on a decent grade, a few moments distraction and I've found myself up to
120-130. I took a peek under the hood, it's a monster straight 6 with
fuel injection. I'd long wondered how a big straight 6 would work with
FI, now I know. And I'll bet taken care of, that engine is good for
several hundred thousand miles, easy.

Dad had a Ford falcon with a 170? and later a Plymouth Duster with a slant six. Those
cars both made the quarter million point.

Have you moved to OZ already?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Have you moved to OZ already?

No, and right now I'm hoping not to for a good while. I'm supposed to be
getting a call this month to chat about a killer job. It's a back door
deal brokered by a friend that works there. Would be the job of my
dreams and would allow me to bring my wife here when her daughter
graduates, and put her through a culinary school. My buddy's been there
6 years and is the junior, most have been there 15-26 years. It's the
sort of place I could work until ready to retire. Yeah, there's still a
few places like that in this country. I consider myself fortunate to
live within commuting distance to one and have a friend on the inside.

Wish I was there now though, my stepson is bowling in the Bradman Letter
cricket match as I'm writing this. He's the most outstanding bowler in
the region, but Coota is a small town and hard pressed to put a good
team together in 16 and under. This match is played between Cootamundra
where Don Bradman was born, and Bowral where he grew up.
In 30 years, Coota's only won 4 times. David's a wicked fast bowler.
I've faced him bowling just tennis balls and have zero chance of hitting
one. (well, doesn't help that I swing the cricket bat like a Louisville
Slugger, lol...) I'll have to wait a few hours for them to ring me back
with the results...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Wish I was there now though, my stepson is bowling in the Bradman Letter
cricket match as I'm writing this.

Just got a not-quite-live update. Bowral's batting first, 40 runs with
26 over and only one wicket. Usually they're at 100 or so runs at this
point. Nobody has a hit off David yet.
Temp is 45 degrees. That's centigrade. 113F....

Jon