Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic bottle farce

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 13:29:25 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 03:07:04 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:17:27 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:10:24 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:17:38 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 17:14:19 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:31:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 13:56:19 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 03:23:41 +0100, rbowman wrote:

They tried that in a few places near here, but it never took off. The
bins have to be placed perfectly or the arm can't get them. What's
wrong with a couple of blokes walking alongside the truck inspecting
(quick glance) the contents then hooking them onto the lift at the back
of the truck? That way the arm doesn't end up destroying things.

They must be more skilled in this country or people are better at
placing the bins.

I think it's a lot faster with men doing it. How long does it take an arm to pick one up? How do arms do more than one at a time? Three men wandering around grabbing bins from both sides of the street while the driver slowly drives along is much faster and holds people up less in narrow streets. Each man can wheel 2 bins along at a time. That's 6 in parallel.

They go faster with the grabber. I guess out houses are farther apart
but you are not going to be picking up two bins at one stop that
often. I do get to see both ways because when the grabber is broken,
they do put 2 guys on the truck and do it by hand. You can get a good
idea by seeing how late they get here going each way. By hand, they
are going to be here about 2 hours later. Bear in mind that is double
the labor cost. These are government union workers who make as much
money as a doctor in the UK.

Same thing here in NJ, my town switched to the new trucks about two years
ago. I'd say it looks like it's about as fast, but it only takes one guy
instead of two. It'd obviously working, because that's why towns are
moving to it, to cut costs. A side benefit, there are less trash cans
rolling around in the street, because the truck puts them back right,
as opposed to the guys just tossing them sometimes.

Do you not have something like this, which doesn't tend to fall over or roll?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-24.../dp/B005PNFGOC

They use this one here
https://tinyurl.com/yaepyehz

Almost exactly the same size, but for some reason not so stable. Why the fancy shape?

It is easier to grab with the machine. It is almost round in the
center where the arm goes out so it does not really have to be
oriented with the curb. The only problem then is which way the top
opens. If it opens at an angle it can flip a little of the trash out
the side. Best is if it opens (hinge) away from the truck so it tends
to guide the first part of the load straight down into the hopper.

I guess with your overpaid workers you need to mechanise everything.

If the democrats get their wish and the minimum wage goes to $10-15
they will have robots behind the counter at McDonalds.
I imagine you will just order and pay on your phone, enter your one
time password and a bag of food will pop out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And those without those newfangled phones that pretend to be computers?
My phone is for texts and calls.* I use a desktop computer to access the
internet.

A smartphone is a computer with a phone ap. It has led to what many call
the Twitterverse of so many characters or less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Senile Yanks Farce! LOL

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 14:25:38 -0400, REAL dumb Frankie Boi blathered:

A smartphone is a computer with a phone ap. It has led to what many call
the Twitterverse of so many characters or less.

I bet your senility tells you you are having an "intelligent discussion"
with the dumbest troll around, right dumb Frankie Boi? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or
laptop) to use the internet.* Screens must be at least 20 inches.

My eyes are getting that way. I can still read the fine print but why
struggle with it. Wife gifted me a cheap tablet and I might read an
email on it but not type a response on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 19:03:50 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 18:56:58 +0100, wrote:

If the democrats get their wish and the minimum wage goes to $10-15
they will have robots behind the counter at McDonalds.
I imagine you will just order and pay on your phone, enter your one
time password and a bag of food will pop out.

And those without those newfangled phones that pretend to be computers? My phone is for texts and calls. I use a desktop computer to access the internet.

Some restaurants are already using ordering kiosks inside. Walk up,
punch in your order and go pick it up at the counter. You can pay with
a card right there at the kiosk. I assume they would still need
someone to take cash unless they just use a bill and coin accepter
like a vending machine.
There will still have to be people there to load the raw food into the
machines and monitor the operation but it won't be the 20 kids/old
folks you see running around a McDonalds now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:10:24 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or laptop) to use the internet. Screens must be at least 20 inches.

I can survive on the road with my laptop but as soon as I get
somewhere I plug it into the TV. I do miss the old days when they had
wired broadband in the room. That was fast. These days they cap the
WiFi speed at some ridiculous level or charge an outrageous rate to
uncap it. I guess it is their way of recouping the money they lost
when we stopped using that room phone and paying through the nose for
it. If I can get my PC hooked up to the TV I can also watch my own
movies and not buy theirs (why they cap the WiFi I guess).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:36:03 -0400, REAL dumb Frankie Boi, the notorious
troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled:

My eyes are getting that way. I can still read the fine print but why
struggle with it. Wife gifted me a cheap tablet and I might read an
email on it but not type a response on it.

That's VERY VERY interesting, you senile oaf! VBG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 16:10:32 -0400, , another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding Yankie idiot, blabbered:

FLUSH all of the senile idiot's lengthy senile drivel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 14:44:46 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 14:34:41 +0100, rbowman wrote:

wrote:

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or
laptop) to use the internet. Screens must be at least 20 inches.

I can survive on the road with my laptop but as soon as I get
somewhere I plug it into the TV. I do miss the old days when they had
wired broadband in the room. That was fast. These days they cap the
WiFi speed at some ridiculous level or charge an outrageous rate to
uncap it. I guess it is their way of recouping the money they lost
when we stopped using that room phone and paying through the nose for
it. If I can get my PC hooked up to the TV I can also watch my own
movies and not buy theirs (why they cap the WiFi I guess).

I bring my Verizon MiFi wireless hot spot with me. Screw the motels. I
will use theirs if it is free and fast.

Where does it get the signal from? Mobile phone masts?

Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-MiFi-.../dp/B00E9W7LRU

It's a 4G LTE device. It's also my internet connection at home. It has a
telephone number and can receive SMS messages although there is no way
to respond. Essentially it's a headless smart phone.

It's almost impossible to get a decent signal in the UK, how do you manage over there with larger land areas? I'm lucky to get 3G, nevermind 4G.

We pay more for better service I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you just use a smart phone? (I'm using one as a hotspot
now.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because our infrastructure is better? I almost always get a 4G
signal, though I do have Verizon. Other carriers are quite as good,
away from large cities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 07:34:41 -0600, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

to respond. Essentially it's a headless smart phone.

Essentially, you are a headless, troll-feeding idiot, lowbrowman! Now try
denying it! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How much? I pay £5 a month for a minimal amount (a few hours of calls, a few hundred texts, and some data I never use). It goes up to much larger figures if you pay £10 or £15 a month.

My wife's phone bill is $276.33 a month with 4 users on it. One is me
and I use about 15 minutes of phone time a year, no text and no data.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can survive on the road with my laptop but as soon as I get
somewhere I plug it into the TV. I do miss the old days when they had
wired broadband in the room. That was fast. These days they cap the
WiFi speed at some ridiculous level or charge an outrageous rate to
uncap it. I guess it is their way of recouping the money they lost
when we stopped using that room phone and paying through the nose for
it. If I can get my PC hooked up to the TV I can also watch my own
movies and not buy theirs (why they cap the WiFi I guess).

I've never run into a hotel that caps Internet access and charges for
more. Some higher-end hotels charge extra for Internet service but I
haven't seen any cap it. Interestingly, the "budget" hotels, like
Super8 or MotelSex, don't charge for WiFI but four-star hotels often
do.

We usually stay in nicer places and generally they give you free WiFi
that is good enough for most things but you can't stream on it. For
that you need the premium package. I agree, it seems the more you pay
for a room or suite, the more they nickel dime you for other stuff.

If you're worried about that, simply download movies to your computer
(or phone) before you leave home. I do it all the time. Something to
watch on the plane and in the airport.

I do. I have a little container full of thumb drives with all sorts of
stuff on them in my computer bag. I also carry an MP3 player in my
sound canceling headset case for the plane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Yanks Farce!

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:50:28 -0400, , the mentally
challenged, notorious, troll-feeding retard, blabbered again:

We pay more for better service I guess.

Nobody "services" the Scottish sow better than you cocksucking senile Yanks!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have 20:20 vision, that's not the problem.* I just like to see a lot
at once.* And I like to be able to use buttons that are at least the
size of my fingers (which are average size, not huge).* You simply can't
put a whole web page on a silly little phone screen, it's
claustrophobic, you have to keep sliding about to see everything.

Mine is nearly 20:20 corrected with glasses but I have early AMD.
Common problem with age and there is nothing to do about it but slow it
down or get shots in the eye if it becomes the wet kind. I have a
cousin that I have not seen for several years who told me then he looked
down one day and could not see his golf ball. Wife said it is bad and
he gets shots frequently but I called him a couple of months ago and he
answered his cell phone on a golf course several hundred miles away.

Thread and your location reminds me I heard Prince Phillip got a new
hip. I believe rank has its privileges there too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 15:01:44 -0400, REAL dumb Frankie Boi, blabbered again:

FLUSH senile drivel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why so much? That has to include the payments on some expensive
phones. We pay about half that (2 lines) and it includes two Note-8s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I download from Netflix and Amazon to my phone and tablet. I agree.
Noise canceling headphones are the way to go. I bought a set of Boze
QC-35s for my last trip to CA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How much? I pay £5 a month for a minimal amount (a few hours of calls,
a few hundred texts, and some data I never use). It goes up to much
larger figures if you pay £10 or £15 a month.

I pay $85 a month for 'unlimited'. It does get throttled after 18 GB so
it isn't precisely unlimited. That's strictly a data plan. Previously I
had 5 GB for $50 a month but I bumped the 5 GB watching youtube etc and
after that it was $20 a GB.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or laptop) to use the internet. Screens must be at least 20 inches.

So cut off your nose to spite your face. It seems you like to do
that.

I can survive on the road with my laptop but as soon as I get
somewhere I plug it into the TV. I do miss the old days when they had
wired broadband in the room. That was fast. These days they cap the
WiFi speed at some ridiculous level or charge an outrageous rate to
uncap it. I guess it is their way of recouping the money they lost
when we stopped using that room phone and paying through the nose for
it. If I can get my PC hooked up to the TV I can also watch my own
movies and not buy theirs (why they cap the WiFi I guess).

I've never run into a hotel that caps Internet access and charges for
more. Some higher-end hotels charge extra for Internet service but I
haven't seen any cap it. Interestingly, the "budget" hotels, like
Super8 or MotelSex, don't charge for WiFI but four-star hotels often
do.

You must hit a better class of MotelSex than I do. Most I've been at
make it an extra cost option. I stayed at one that advertised free wifi.
It was, but when you logged on it suggested that you might want to pay
additional for more speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How many devices can you hook to a smart phone? The MifI accepts 10. The
real reason I have no use for a smart phone and I do have a use for a
wifi hotspot. I have always hated telephones and making them smarter
doesn't make me love them any more. In fact I miss the heavy old dial
types that had a convenient hammer attached by a curly leash that you
could use to beat the damn thing to death.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had to search that, as AMD to me is a manufacturer of microchips.

Give it thirty years or so and you'll learn a lot of new acronyms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ouch! That hit close to home.

Getting old isn't for sissies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't think there is a (low) limit. I've only used two or three,
though. Cell phones are probably cheaper, though. You don't have to
use the phone. Other than work calls (and SPAM), I doubt I make/take
one call a month. I guess that's not true anymore. I've been calling
the hospital/doctors quite a bit, lately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, likely a lower class. ;-) The fewer stars, the more is included.
The only time I stay in even a three star hotel is when I'm on
business. My employer forces the hotel chains to include WiFi
charges, when I'm traveling on business. A hotel room is just
somewhere to sleep. I don't need a marble lobby. ...and I'm cheap.
;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

More explicitly, the only Motel Six I've stayed at that did not charge
for the wifi only had slow wifi for free which shilled for a paid
upgrade when you logged on.

I'm cheap too but I've been noticing the dollar spread between Freddy's
Fleabag Inn and Day's Inn is getting smaller. I prefer the older motels
that have some character rather than the cookie cutter chains but there
aren't any real bargains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know why it is so much. I am not a phone guy but I don't think
there are any financed phones there. Three of the 4 are heavy data
users tho. (2 Note 8s and an I phone). I have a flip phone that I
seldom even turn on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm ancient school acording to a lot of folks because I don't own one of those damn smartass phones. My cellphone is the size of two Zippo lighters placed end to end. It works great for the phone calls I need to make when I travel to medical apointments or go shopping. It will actually send and receive texts but I must put on 4X reading glasses to see the tiny 2-1/2 X 2-3/4mm screen. If I want to text someone, I do it from Gmail in my desktop/laptop computer. I just put their smartphone number in the "To" box and send it like an Email. I use a POTS desk phone and magicJack VoIP through my router connected to the Internet. If I wind up in the hospital, I plug the magicJack into a USB port on my laptop and make/receive phone calls through the hospital's WiFi. I can use the room phone but people call my magicJack number to reach me because it's the number they have for me. Ain't technology fun? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Luddite Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:10:09 -0600, lowbrowman, yet another endlessly
driveling senile idiot, blabbered again:

Give it thirty years or so and you'll learn a lot of new acronyms.

Luckily, you troll-feeding asshole won't be around for that long to keep
teaching him all about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 02:53:04 +0100, rbowman wrote:

How much? I pay £5 a month for a minimal amount (a few hours of calls,
a few hundred texts, and some data I never use). It goes up to much
larger figures if you pay £10 or £15 a month.

I pay $85 a month for 'unlimited'. It does get throttled after 18 GB so
it isn't precisely unlimited. That's strictly a data plan. Previously I
had 5 GB for $50 a month but I bumped the 5 GB watching youtube etc and
after that it was $20 a GB.

I could pay $28 a month for unlimited data. Similar throttling to yours
but not at night. Also that gives me completely unlimited calls and texts.

For $38 a month, another company my friend uses does 100GB a month, with
no throttling at all.

I thought America was cheap?

Capitalism -- whatever the market will bear. If the market bitches too
much our bought politicians will pass new regulations to keep the
competitors down. In their defense, Verizon's infrastructure in this one
state with a million people covers an area that you could drop the UK
into without disturbing the blackfooted ferrets.

Plastic bottle farce Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 176 April 13th 18 12:03 AM
Plastic bottle farce [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 3rd 18 08:07 PM
Plastic bottle farce % Home Repair 0 April 3rd 18 05:47 PM
Plastic bottle farce % Home Repair 0 April 3rd 18 05:46 PM
Plastic bottle farce % Home Repair 0 April 3rd 18 05:45 PM