Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic bottle farce

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 13:29:25 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 03:07:04 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:17:27 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:10:24 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:17:38 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 17:14:19 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:31:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 13:56:19 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 03:23:41 +0100, rbowman wrote:

They tried that in a few places near here, but it never took off. The
bins have to be placed perfectly or the arm can't get them. What's
wrong with a couple of blokes walking alongside the truck inspecting
(quick glance) the contents then hooking them onto the lift at the back
of the truck? That way the arm doesn't end up destroying things.

They must be more skilled in this country or people are better at
placing the bins.

I think it's a lot faster with men doing it. How long does it take an arm to pick one up? How do arms do more than one at a time? Three men wandering around grabbing bins from both sides of the street while the driver slowly drives along is much faster and holds people up less in narrow streets. Each man can wheel 2 bins along at a time. That's 6 in parallel.

They go faster with the grabber. I guess out houses are farther apart
but you are not going to be picking up two bins at one stop that
often. I do get to see both ways because when the grabber is broken,
they do put 2 guys on the truck and do it by hand. You can get a good
idea by seeing how late they get here going each way. By hand, they
are going to be here about 2 hours later. Bear in mind that is double
the labor cost. These are government union workers who make as much
money as a doctor in the UK.

Same thing here in NJ, my town switched to the new trucks about two years
ago. I'd say it looks like it's about as fast, but it only takes one guy
instead of two. It'd obviously working, because that's why towns are
moving to it, to cut costs. A side benefit, there are less trash cans
rolling around in the street, because the truck puts them back right,
as opposed to the guys just tossing them sometimes.

Do you not have something like this, which doesn't tend to fall over or roll?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-24.../dp/B005PNFGOC

They use this one here
https://tinyurl.com/yaepyehz

Almost exactly the same size, but for some reason not so stable. Why the fancy shape?

It is easier to grab with the machine. It is almost round in the
center where the arm goes out so it does not really have to be
oriented with the curb. The only problem then is which way the top
opens. If it opens at an angle it can flip a little of the trash out
the side. Best is if it opens (hinge) away from the truck so it tends
to guide the first part of the load straight down into the hopper.

I guess with your overpaid workers you need to mechanise everything.

If the democrats get their wish and the minimum wage goes to $10-15
they will have robots behind the counter at McDonalds.
I imagine you will just order and pay on your phone, enter your one
time password and a bag of food will pop out.