Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Plastic bottle farce

On 04/04/2018 08:40 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 20:10:09 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 20:01:44 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:36:03 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 19:25:38 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 18:56:58 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 13:29:25 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 03:07:04 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:17:27 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 00:10:24 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:17:38 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 17:14:19 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:31:15 AM UTC-4,

wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 13:56:19 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 03:23:41 +0100, rbowman

They tried that in a few places near here, but it never
took off. The
bins have to be placed perfectly or the arm can't get
them. What's
wrong with a couple of blokes walking alongside the
truck
inspecting
(quick glance) the contents then hooking them onto the
lift
at the back
of the truck? That way the arm doesn't end up
destroying
things.

They must be more skilled in this country or people are
better at
placing the bins.

I think it's a lot faster with men doing it. How long
does it
take an arm to pick one up? How do arms do more than one
at a
time? Three men wandering around grabbing bins from both
sides
of the street while the driver slowly drives along is much
faster and holds people up less in narrow streets. Each man
can wheel 2 bins along at a time. That's 6 in parallel.

They go faster with the grabber. I guess out houses are
farther
apart
but you are not going to be picking up two bins at one stop
that
often. I do get to see both ways because when the grabber is
broken,
they do put 2 guys on the truck and do it by hand. You
can get
a good
idea by seeing how late they get here going each way. By
hand,
they
are going to be here about 2 hours later. Bear in mind
that is
double
the labor cost. These are government union workers who
make as
much
money as a doctor in the UK.

Same thing here in NJ, my town switched to the new trucks
about
two years
ago. I'd say it looks like it's about as fast, but it only
takes one guy
instead of two. It'd obviously working, because that's why
towns are
moving to it, to cut costs. A side benefit, there are less
trash cans
rolling around in the street, because the truck puts them
back
right,
as opposed to the guys just tossing them sometimes.

Do you not have something like this, which doesn't tend to
fall
over or roll?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-24.../dp/B005PNFGOC

They use this one here
https://tinyurl.com/yaepyehz

Almost exactly the same size, but for some reason not so stable.
Why the fancy shape?

It is easier to grab with the machine. It is almost round in the
center where the arm goes out so it does not really have to be
oriented with the curb. The only problem then is which way the
top
opens. If it opens at an angle it can flip a little of the trash
out
the side. Best is if it opens (hinge) away from the truck so it
tends
to guide the first part of the load straight down into the
hopper.

I guess with your overpaid workers you need to mechanise
everything.

If the democrats get their wish and the minimum wage goes to $10-15
they will have robots behind the counter at McDonalds.
I imagine you will just order and pay on your phone, enter your one
time password and a bag of food will pop out.

And those without those newfangled phones that pretend to be
computers?
My phone is for texts and calls. I use a desktop computer to
access the
internet.

A smartphone is a computer with a phone ap. It has led to what many
call
the Twitterverse of so many characters or less.

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or
laptop) to use the internet. Screens must be at least 20 inches.

My eyes are getting that way. I can still read the fine print but why
struggle with it. Wife gifted me a cheap tablet and I might read an
email on it but not type a response on it.

I have 20:20 vision, that's not the problem. I just like to see a lot
at once. And I like to be able to use buttons that are at least the
size of my fingers (which are average size, not huge). You simply can't
put a whole web page on a silly little phone screen, it's
claustrophobic, you have to keep sliding about to see everything.

Mine is nearly 20:20 corrected with glasses but I have early AMD.

I had to search that, as AMD to me is a manufacturer of microchips.

Give it thirty years or so and you'll learn a lot of new acronyms.

Ouch! That hit close to home.

Getting old isn't for sissies.

Tell me about it...