Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Plastic bottle farce

On 04/04/2018 11:14 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 07:34:41 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 03:26:41 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 04/03/2018 02:10 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:10:24 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I refuse to use something the size of a phone (or even a tablet or
laptop) to use the internet. Screens must be at least 20 inches.

I can survive on the road with my laptop but as soon as I get
somewhere I plug it into the TV. I do miss the old days when they had
wired broadband in the room. That was fast. These days they cap the
WiFi speed at some ridiculous level or charge an outrageous rate to
uncap it. I guess it is their way of recouping the money they lost
when we stopped using that room phone and paying through the nose for
it. If I can get my PC hooked up to the TV I can also watch my own
movies and not buy theirs (why they cap the WiFi I guess).

I bring my Verizon MiFi wireless hot spot with me. Screw the motels. I
will use theirs if it is free and fast.

Where does it get the signal from? Mobile phone masts?

Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-MiFi-.../dp/B00E9W7LRU

It's a 4G LTE device. It's also my internet connection at home. It has a
telephone number and can receive SMS messages although there is no way
to respond. Essentially it's a headless smart phone.

Why don't you just use a smart phone? (I'm using one as a hotspot
now.)

How many devices can you hook to a smart phone? The MifI accepts 10. The
real reason I have no use for a smart phone and I do have a use for a
wifi hotspot. I have always hated telephones and making them smarter
doesn't make me love them any more. In fact I miss the heavy old dial
types that had a convenient hammer attached by a curly leash that you
could use to beat the damn thing to death.