Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flip Phone Forever

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 18:17:20 -0600, Sam E
wrote:

On 12/27/2017 12:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

A camera? That must be a high end model. My LG originates and receives
voice and text calls, end of story. I think it may have a calculator,
maybe not. The drawback is when you're broken down in the middle of
nowhere with no signal there are no games to amuse yourself with until
someone comes along in a day or two.

A thousand years ago nobody had games on their phones, for when their
horses broke down.

I can remember when the only games you could play on a phone was crank
calling people. Now that has become a business.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus price/performance hardware comparison

In article , harry newton
wrote:

He who is Lloyd said on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 20:42:04 -0600 (CST):
If any Linux users were affected because a driver that was written
by someone that obviously didn't have the proper knowledge or
skills to do so, then shame on them for using crapware.

You have absolutely no idea of what happened with the iOS release that
brazenly broke all Linux connectivity because your characterization doesn't
fit the facts.

nor do you, and it didn't.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

At least they
have gotten past the Apple II days when the keyboard was missing
characters that are part of the C language.

such as which ones?

~ iirc. I'm not sure about ^.

Back in the Apple II day you did a lot more bit twiddling. I think there
were either software or hardware workarounds but I remember a friend
complaining about it as well as the gymnastics to get lowercase.

I went the CP/M route with the BDS C subset compiler. It was a different
world and I never had an Apple II or worked with the 6502. I was in the
Intel/Zilog camp. I really liked the 68000 when it came along rather
than Intel's kludge but nobody was paying me to write for Apple or 68000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 Cents wrote:
On 12/24/2017 12:01 PM, harry newton wrote:
(Snip, snip, snip)

I come from a time when the phone had a cord and a bell and a rotary
dial. No answering machine or voice mail either. I upgraded to a flip
phone a few years ago and that's working plenty good enough, and it's
easy to carry. A neighbor gave me an old smart phone and I've got
"Torque" and "Freenav" for a couple of apps. I haven't activated service
on it and now I'm wondering now if I will. Time and technology march on,
sometimes without me. Disclaimer, I'll be 70 next year and getting kinda
old and wear Velcro shoes.

Yes. Velcro shoes !

Greg

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , rbowman
wrote:

At least they
have gotten past the Apple II days when the keyboard was missing
characters that are part of the C language.

such as which ones?

~ iirc. I'm not sure about ^.

did you even look at the photo?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...e_ii_8e43f9b0-
53a0-406d-ab6d-fab25e3a451f_1024x1024.JPG

~ is shift `, in the lower left corner, 2nd key in
^ is shift 6, top row

Back in the Apple II day you did a lot more bit twiddling. I think there
were either software or hardware workarounds but I remember a friend
complaining about it as well as the gymnastics to get lowercase.

the original apple ii didn't have lower case, nor did a lot of
computers in 1977.

that was added shortly after and hasn't been an issue for more than 35
years.

that's a long time to hold a grudge.

I went the CP/M route with the BDS C subset compiler. It was a different
world and I never had an Apple II or worked with the 6502.

clearly.

I was in the
Intel/Zilog camp. I really liked the 68000 when it came along rather
than Intel's kludge but nobody was paying me to write for Apple or 68000.

too bad. it was far, far more lucrative, and yes, the 68k architecture
was great.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2017 06:20 AM, nospam wrote:
did you even look at the photo?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...e_ii_8e43f9b0-
53a0-406d-ab6d-fab25e3a451f_1024x1024.JPG

~ is shift `, in the lower left corner, 2nd key in
^ is shift 6, top row

Did you even look at the photo? The part that says Apple IIe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe#New_features

"One of the most notable improvements of the Apple IIe is the addition
of a full ASCII character set and keyboard. The most important addition
is the ability to input and display lower-case letters."

Did I say anything about the IIe that came out 6 years after the II?

Programming for Apple was definitely not more lucrative for me. The only
company that I ever worked for that had Apple products used the first
generation Mac since it met the TEMPEST requirements. Even there I did
not personally use one.

I will agree on the 68K architecture and in fact I had a 68K development
board. However at the time I was doing embedded work and Motorala was a
no-sale. Their microcontrollers were fine but Motorala had a bad
reputation. you would design one of their parts in and when it came time
to go into production Motorala didn't have the parts. Their number one
priority was automotive. That rep also hurt the 68K.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , rbowman
wrote:

did you even look at the photo?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...e_ii_8e43f9b0-
53a0-406d-ab6d-fab25e3a451f_1024x1024.JPG

~ is shift `, in the lower left corner, 2nd key in
^ is shift 6, top row

Did you even look at the photo? The part that says Apple IIe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe#New_features

"One of the most notable improvements of the Apple IIe is the addition
of a full ASCII character set and keyboard. The most important addition
is the ability to input and display lower-case letters."

Did I say anything about the IIe that came out 6 years after the II?

you said the days of the apple ii, which includes the iie.

the apple ii series was discontinued in 1993, *long* after the iie came
out.

you're also ignoring that many other computers from that era didn't
have lower case. it wasn't just apple.

the original apple ii & apple ii plus keyboard was almost identical to
the then common asr-33 teletype, also uppercase only. it even had a
rept key.

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/APPLEPLUS-16.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZXnaIDU8AAtFLV.jpg

Programming for Apple was definitely not more lucrative for me. The only
company that I ever worked for that had Apple products used the first
generation Mac since it met the TEMPEST requirements. Even there I did
not personally use one.

there weren't a lot of people who knew how to write mac apps and even
fewer who could do it well, yet there was a *huge* demand, so those who
did got paid *very* well.
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

He who is nospam said on Thu, 28 Dec 2017 00:15:07 -0500:

You have absolutely no idea of what happened with the iOS release that
brazenly broke all Linux connectivity because your characterization doesn't
fit the facts.

nor do you, and it didn't.

C'mon nospam. You had your head handed to you on the Linux newsgroup when
you last tried to make the claim that Apple didn't break Linux connectivity
with the iOS 7.0.0 to iOS 7.0.1 release.

*Apple never tests any of their products in the real world.*

So, not only do you get CPU slowdowns to half the speed you paid for with
each iOS release, but you also have a great chance of everything breaking
in the real world.

*Even Apple admits that they don't test their products in the real world.*

You don't get your head handed to you on the iOS newsgroups because most
people on the iOS newsgroups are uninformed about the real world - they
live entirely imprisoned inside the luxury of the walled garden.

What's funny is that intelligent Linux posters such as Whiskers and Frank
Slootweg can see right through you in your first posts - whereas the iOS
gullibles fall for your sneaky semantic twists every single time.

Heh heh ... that's the biggest difference between Linux users (who live in
the real world) and iOS users (who live in the walled prison garden).

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2017-12-28, nospam wrote:

you're also ignoring that many other computers from that era didn't
have lower case. it wasn't just apple.

BINGO.

JR
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In article , harry newton
wrote:

You have absolutely no idea of what happened with the iOS release that
brazenly broke all Linux connectivity because your characterization doesn't
fit the facts.

nor do you, and it didn't.

C'mon nospam. You had your head handed to you on the Linux newsgroup when
you last tried to make the claim that Apple didn't break Linux connectivity
with the iOS 7.0.0 to iOS 7.0.1 release.

stop lying.

apple didn't break anything.

apple added new functionality that the linux driver did not support,
which was eventually updated to support it.

nothing unusual about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will keep my old flip phone until I myself flip.
I will never carry around one of those "smart" phones which don't fit
any pocket of any apparel I own.
The only thing dumber than "smart" phones is "texting".

Years ago - seeing my high-school-aged-kids texting -
I would scoff and think it was dumb.
Now, after several years of using text messages -
I rather like it - whether sending or receiving -
it's more efficient than voicemail tag, and you can text
to several people at once.
I think my texts cost 10 cents to send - free receive -
which might add-up for a young person texting all day & night
but it's nothing for my usage.
John T.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

He who is nospam said on Thu, 28 Dec 2017 11:12:30 -0500:

apple didn't break anything.

apple added new functionality that the linux driver did not support,
which was eventually updated to support it.

nothing unusual about that.

You already got your head handed to you about this on the Linux newsgroup
http://tinyurlcom/alt-os-linux

You Apple apologists will deny anything Apple does that breaks connectivity
outside the prison walls of the walled garden.

Never once are you correct. You'd earn an "F" in any high school class.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 28, 2017 at 4:24:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I will keep my old flip phone until I myself flip.
I will never carry around one of those "smart" phones which don't fit
any pocket of any apparel I own.
The only thing dumber than "smart" phones is "texting".

Years ago - seeing my high-school-aged-kids texting -
I would scoff and think it was dumb.
Now, after several years of using text messages -
I rather like it - whether sending or receiving -
it's more efficient than voicemail tag, and you can text
to several people at once.
I think my texts cost 10 cents to send - free receive -
which might add-up for a young person texting all day & night
but it's nothing for my usage.
John T.

I send and receive texts from my desktop or laptop computer. No special software needed. Simply put the phone number along with area code in the "To" line and type your message in the Email area. I text with Gmail quite often to my friends who carry smart-alec phones around on them at all times. Try it out, I believe it also works with Hotmail and most Email clients. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Email Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 15:39:07 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

If that doesn't work you just need to add the router for which carrier
they have. verison is VTEXT.COM )
More complex texts, like with embedded pictures go to vzwpix.com.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cool! Thanks! I'll try it. I have these in my Gmail address book. I haven't used " yet so I'll have to try it out. ^_^

@vtext.com

@vzwpix.com

@txt.att.net

@sms.myboostmobile.com

[8~{} Uncle SMS Monster

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2017 08:40 AM, nospam wrote:
you said the days of the apple ii, which includes the iie.

Whatever you say...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is the list I have
Sprint
Verizon

T-Mobile

AT&T

Virgin Mobile

Cingular

Nextel

US Cellular

Boost

Alltel

AT&T:

Qwest:

T-Mobile:

Verizon:

Sprint:
or
Virgin Mobile:

Nextel:

Alltel:

Metro PCS:

Powertel:

Boost Mobile:

Suncom:

Tracfone:

U.S. Cellular:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! It's useful information. I've saved it to my cellphone information database. I don't own one of those smartphones and the cellphone I do have will send and receive texts but the screen is +- one and one eights inches square. Perhaps I'll break down one day and get one of those smartphones but I can do the same things with one of my tablets using the magicJack app. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle App Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2017 07:00 PM, wrote:

[snip]

If that doesn't work you just need to add the router for which carrier
they have. verison is VTEXT.COM )

I've been using that a lot, since it's easier to write a text on a
device with a regular keyboard.

More complex texts, like with embedded pictures go to vzwpix.com.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The man who accepts the faith of Calvin is miserable in proportion to
the extent he carries it out." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth
Reading And Other Essays_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 15:39:53 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

Another somewhat related question is how does one print texts?

ePrint? I haven't figured out the App yet to print to the printer (HP)
via Android.

The dang printer goes to sleep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another somewhat related question is how does one print texts?

Y wud n-e-1 ?

John T.
who tappety-taps complete words, sentences,
and some punctuation in his texts
but has never felt the need to print one
There IS a voicemail I wish that I had saved :
" Hi Dad. I rolled the car - I'm OK but the car isn't. "

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2017 02:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

Another somewhat related question is how does one print texts?

Can you forward it to your home email, and print from there?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

Another somewhat related question is how does one print texts?

Can you forward it to your home email, and print from there?

I'll try it.

I have seen it presented in the local district courtrooms.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

On 12/28/2017 07:00 PM,
wrote:

[snip]

If that doesn't work you just need to add the router for which carrier
they have. verison is VTEXT.COM )

I've been using that a lot, since it's easier to write a text on a
device with a regular keyboard.

More complex texts, like with embedded pictures go to vzwpix.com.

My only problem is how does one receive texts-like replies.
I like texting because it's a written form of communication.

Another somewhat related question is how does one print texts?

When people reply to my "texts" I am not even sure they know it is
Email on my end and from a PC printing is trivial.
Not sure what you can do from a phone but if you have a wifi attached
printer there should be a data path.
I don't know about anything you can put in your purse.

Hey, hey, hey I don't have a purse... No wifi printer; I will investigate.. I
could attach the dumbphone to the PC...
--
Tekkie

I have a couple of magicJacks. One of them is the original USB only version and the other is the magicJack Plus which has both a USB plug and an Ethernet jack so it can connect directly to a router. If I go to the hospital, I can plug my main magicJack into my laptop, plug in a standard POTS phone and make and receive phone calls via the fast WiFi at the hospital. I get my calls wherever I have an Internet connection. My original magicJack is my decoy number that I give out to websites that insist on a valid phone number for access. All the telemarketing calls go to my main Email account as voicemail so I can screen them. I laugh at and delete the majority of them. $35.00 per magicJack a year for unlimited local and long distance service isn't a bad deal. I bought my first magicJack back in 2007 when they first became available and haven't looked back. Screw POTS lines and AT&T. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Phonetic Monster
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:53:00 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

Until you provide evidence that thsi is "permanent", please stop using
that word. You've been asked to provide evidence and you haven't.

For anyone who still thinks the iPhone throttling wasn't *secret*,
*drastic*, and, most importantly, *permanent* - read this article.

*"There is no way to toggle Apple's hidden throttling on or off*
*within the company's iOS software. Instead, the only way to disable*
*an iPhone slowdown is to install a new battery in your phone."*
How to take advantage of Apple's $29 iPhone battery replacement program
right now
http://bgr.com/2018/01/01/iphone-battery-replacement-29-how-to-iphone-slowdown-scandal/
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2018 12:12 AM, Harry Newton wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:53:00 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

Until you provide evidence that thsi is "permanent", please stop using
that word. You've been asked to provide evidence and you haven't.

For anyone who still thinks the iPhone throttling wasn't *secret*,
*drastic*, and, most importantly, *permanent* - read this article.

*"There is no way to toggle Apple's hidden throttling on or off*
*within the company's iOS software. Instead, the only way to disable*
*an iPhone slowdown is to install a new battery in your phone."*
How to take advantage of Apple's $29 iPhone battery replacement program
right now
http://bgr.com/2018/01/01/iphone-battery-replacement-29-how-to-iphone-slowdown-scandal/

First the iChuckleHeads break your iPhone with a software update and now they offer to repair it with a $29 iBattery?Â* Nice racket.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2018-01-08, Harry Newton wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 00:53:00 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

Until you provide evidence that thsi is "permanent", please stop using
that word. You've been asked to provide evidence and you haven't.

For anyone who still thinks the iPhone throttling wasn't *secret*

FALSE. It was mentioned in the iOS 10.2.1 release notes as anyone with a
web browser and half a brain cell can plainly see:

"iOS 10.2.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone
or iPad. It also improves power management during peak workloads to
avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone."

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893

There's nothing "secret" about this.

*drastic*

FALSE. The feature only activates when apps cause *peak* spikes in
performance, which doesn't apply to the vast majority of apps, and only
takes effect on devices whose batteries are at the end of their lifespan
and cannot provide the needed current without prematurely shutting off
the device, which extends the runtime of devices with dying batteries -
that's something most people want. Hardly "drastic".

and, most importantly, *permanent*

FALSE. The feature activates only on devices whose batteries can no
longer supply nominal current and only during *peak* resource
consumption, which means most apps are unaffected since most do not
cause peak spikes in performance. And replacing the dying battery with a
new one returns those *peak* spikes back to 100% performance. Nothing
"permanent" about it.

Troll on...

JR

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 8 Jan 2018 16:59:58 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

There's nothing "secret" about this.

Did you happen to notice the Apple Apology?

Do you think Apple accidentally apologized for nothing?

Did you happen to notice all the lawsuits?

Do you think they accidentally allege Apple did nothing wrong?

Did you happen to notice that *all* the Android manufacturers said they'd
never do to their customers what Apple did to you?

Or are you blind to facts?
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Harry Newton wrote:
On 8 Jan 2018 16:59:58 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

There's nothing "secret" about this.

Did you happen

I happen to see that you dislike facts when they don't fit your troll
narrative.

JR