Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Replace Car Sat Nav with 10" Phablet

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

It's the way I've done it for quite a while now. I've used both my
Moto G phone and my cheap Argos/Bush 7" phablet. Both work well, the
app I use is Here! (was Nokia, now someone else) which is free. A big
advantage of the phone/phablet is that it recalculates much faster
than any dedicated SatNav I've ever used.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need for
a sim payment.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 09/01/2017 10:57, Capitol wrote:
john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need
for a sim payment.

Would a ten inch screen be a bit too big? Distracting, plus causing a
blind spot.

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or
would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Nice ****ing great blindspot you have there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 11:37:31 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Nice ****ing great blindspot you have there.

He doesn't want a 10'' one then.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need
for a sim payment.

The advantage of having an "online" connection is that you can get real
time routing and feedback. So for example I find I quite often use my
phone when I want satnav these days - just with the built in google maps
/ navigation, and find the dynamic routing is quite nice - something I
don't get with my "offline" tomtom. The data cost seems fairly low
(although I only use it occasionally)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need
for a sim payment.

Would a ten inch screen be a bit too big? Distracting, plus causing a
blind spot.

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or
would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

The app I use (Here!) works off-line, i.e. with no phone data required.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so, presumably the ongoing
cost would be higher.

I can also see that it would only work if you had a passenger; you couldn't
really mount something that size for driver-only use.

Personally, I love the basic TomTom I have; the lane guidance is especially
useful when at a large, unfamiliar junction.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 13:57, Chris Whelan wrote:
john.west wrote:

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so, presumably the ongoing
cost would be higher.

WifFi hotspot? Assuming your provider allows tethering or doesn't
complain if you do

I can also see that it would only work if you had a passenger; you couldn't
really mount something that size for driver-only use.

Yes, it is on the big side!!

Personally, I love the basic TomTom I have; the lane guidance is especially
useful when at a large, unfamiliar junction.

Dynamic traffic updates can be very useful. There have been a few times
when it has paid off, and also the occasions when I ignored the
alternative route which I then regretted.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 13:26, Chris Green wrote:
GB wrote:

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or
would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

The app I use (Here!) works off-line, i.e. with no phone data required.

There are many that will download maps for offline use, but a major
advantage of the "connected" apps is that they can get real time traffic
data and reroute if necessary (before you reach the blockage).

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 13:00:28 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 13:00:28 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.

You might need Dab soon because they are considering shutting down

FM broadcasts within the next few years..
(Unless you aren't interested in listening to radio in the car).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 15:54:48 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 13:00:28 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.

You might need Dab soon because they are considering shutting down

FM broadcasts within the next few years..
(Unless you aren't interested in listening to radio in the car).

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"john.west" wrote in message
news
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds on
Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Yes, it doesnt work as well when you are the only person in the car
because it isnt as easy to have it where you can use it yourself with
such a large screen. If you have a mount that allows the driver to use
it, it will inevitably obscure quite a bit of the dash in that situation.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates.

But thats all it can do and at £40 I bet the maps arent a patch on
google.maps.

No need for a sim payment.

No need for a sim payment with the right sim, you pay for what you use.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

news
john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need
for a sim payment.

Would a ten inch screen be a bit too big? Distracting, plus causing a
blind spot.

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off,

Dont really need the entire UK map.

or would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

google.maps doesnt use loads of data if you dont store the maps in the
device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Illegal in most jurisdictions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 9 January 2017 11:37:31 UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten*
inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Nice ****ing great blindspot you have there.

He doesn't want a 10'' one then.

Works fine when mounted below the top of the dash.
except that it then obscures quite a bit of the dash or
radios etc. IMO something that big has to be mounted
in the dash itself and that usually isnt practical.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all. that should have been SHMBO not HHMBO (Freudian Slip ?)
I only have a 'pay as you go' tariff , so need a program that downloads
the map offline and then just uses the phone GPS to give a real time
location on the map. Thanks.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need
for a sim payment.

The advantage of having an "online" connection is that you can get real
time routing and feedback. So for example I find I quite often use my
phone when I want satnav these days - just with the built in google maps /
navigation, and find the dynamic routing is quite nice

Yeah, can be handy when you have to get somewhere by
a specific time for an appointment or to leave on a flight or
train etc. It did allow me to see we were cutting it very fine
from a long way out so I could drive like a hoon while I could
because of the congestion it knew about in the city proper.

- something I don't get with my "offline" tomtom.

Yeah, I havent used my for years now.

The data cost seems fairly low

Yep, bugger all and I pay 7.2c/MB for data.

(although I only use it occasionally)

I use it weekly, mostly for the garage/yard sale run to
get right to the door with the places which include a
street number and with streets I can't quite remember
where they are even tho I recognise the name.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
john.west wrote:
[...]

I used it on a very long run in to catch a train and it was completely
hopeless compared with google.maps we were running in parallel
on a different phone predicting the arrival time due to congestion.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
john.west wrote:

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so,
presumably the ongoing cost would be higher.

Not much tho. I pay 7.2c/MB for data and the cost
is peanuts compared with the fuel and many have
data included and so its effectively free.

I can also see that it would only work if you had a passenger;
you couldn't really mount something that size for driver-only use.

It would work mounted centrally over the dash but
would obscure a great chunk of the dash. No big
deal if you use it instead of the radios etc but not ideal.

Personally, I love the basic TomTom I have;

I havent used mine for years now.

the lane guidance is especially useful
when at a large, unfamiliar junction.

That's there with maps.google now in many jurisdictions.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

news
GB wrote:

Can the app download the entire UK map over wifi before you set off, or
would you be using loads of data whilst on the move?

The app I use (Here!) works off-line, i.e. with no phone data required.

There are many that will download maps for offline use, but a major
advantage of the "connected" apps is that they can get real time traffic
data and reroute if necessary (before you reach the blockage).

And allows you to hoon along while you can well before the
congestion if you need to get there at a particular time too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 19:29:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Illegal in most jurisdictions.

I have driven through every country in Europe with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 9 January 2017 19:29:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten*
inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Illegal in most jurisdictions.

I have driven through every country in Europe with it.

All that means is that you didnt get caught.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 January 2017 20:59:35 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 9 January 2017 19:29:02 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten*
inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Illegal in most jurisdictions.

I have driven through every country in Europe with it.

All that means is that you didnt get caught.

Unlike the Gumball Rally in Spain that I saw then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 16:48:15 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, 9 January 2017 15:54:48 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 13:00:28 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.

You might need Dab soon because they are considering shutting down

FM broadcasts within the next few years..
(Unless you aren't interested in listening to radio in the car).

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

You never used to write in capitals. Why do you lose your temper so much nowadays?

--
After Christmas vacation, an elementary school teacher was asking her students how they celebrated Christmas.
When she got to Sammy, whose father ran a local toy store, she said, "Sammy, since you're Jewish, I guess your family didn't celebrate Christmas."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 01:09:07 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

You never used to write in capitals. Why do you lose your temper so much nowadays?

MdDS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 01:09:07 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Sammy replied, "Oh yes, we did. We all held hands and danced around the cash register singing, 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus.'

CAN YOU GET A JEWISH YORKSHIREMAN?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Marks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

You never used to write in capitals. Why do
you lose your temper so much nowadays?

MdDS.

Your god is supposed to have cured you of that with
a miracle cue designed to convert all us heathens.

Wot an incompetent ****wit of a god.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y Fredxxx wrote:
On 09/01/2017 13:57, Chris Whelan wrote:
Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so, presumably the ongoing
cost would be higher.

WifFi hotspot? Assuming your provider allows tethering or doesn't
complain if you do

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order
is a free SIM that gives 200MB a month. Just topup by 2 pounds every 6
months to keep it alive. That should be enough to satnav use but, if not,
just order several!

Theo
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 10:44, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.
Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet know
which of the many is the best one).
Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there any
disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose built sat
nav with a much smaller Screen ?

The big question is how well does the live traffic work?
The tomtom live traffic is really good, google is mediocre.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2017 19:24, Rod Speed wrote:

google.maps doesnt use loads of data if you dont store the maps in the
device.

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road but it does
around here.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2017 10:47, Theo wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Fredxxx wrote:
On 09/01/2017 13:57, Chris Whelan wrote:
Are you proposing using it with a SIM card? If so, presumably the ongoing
cost would be higher.

WifFi hotspot? Assuming your provider allows tethering or doesn't
complain if you do

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order
is a free SIM that gives 200MB a month. Just topup by 2 pounds every 6
months to keep it alive. That should be enough to satnav use but, if not,
just order several!

Theo

Thanks, just ordered one to play with.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can
buy a *ten* inch Phablet (a tablet which can take a
phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds on Amazon.

Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or
i dont yet know which of the many is the best one).

Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger
seat is there any disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than
buy the purpose built sat nav with a much smaller Screen ?

The big question is how well does the live traffic work?
The tomtom live traffic is really good, google is mediocre.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage, particularly when
google is allowed to use the mobile phone base info that allows it
to see what the absolute vast bulk of the traffic is actually doing.

Nothing tomtom can do gets even within a bulls roar of that.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

google.maps doesnt use loads of data if you dont store the maps in the
device.

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road

It doesnt in the capital citys which are just as info dense as yours.

but it does around here.

BULL****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 09:01:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
James Wilkinson Sword wrote

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

You never used to write in capitals. Why do
you lose your temper so much nowadays?

MdDS.

Your god is supposed to have cured you of that with
a miracle cue designed to convert all us heathens.

Wot an incompetent ****wit of a god.

The Lord giveth the Lord taketh away.

http://swldxer.co.uk/credits.jpg