Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Replace Car Sat Nav with 10" Phablet

On 10/01/2017 16:50, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
john.west wrote

Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten*
inch Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70
pounds on Amazon.

Then get a free Navigation Android App. (like Sygic, or i dont yet
know which of the many is the best one).

Since HWMBO can manage the phablet from the passenger seat is there
any disadvantage in doing it this way, rather than buy the purpose
built sat nav with a much smaller Screen ?

The big question is how well does the live traffic work?
The tomtom live traffic is really good, google is mediocre.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage, particularly when google
is allowed to use the mobile phone base info that allows it to see what
the absolute vast bulk of the traffic is actually doing.
Nothing tomtom can do gets even within a bulls roar of that.

While that may be true in your backwaters google isn't allowed to track
all the mobiles in the UK. Its traffic is pretty poor here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 16:51:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

google.maps doesnt use loads of data if you dont store the maps in the
device.

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road

It doesnt in the capital citys which are just as info dense as yours.

but it does around here.

BULL****.

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

True of anywhere that isnt as stupid as you lot.

google isn't allowed to track all the mobiles in the UK.

More fool you lot.

Its traffic is pretty poor here.

Because you lot are terminal ****wits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 16:51:58 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

google.maps doesnt use loads of data if you dont store the maps in
the
device.

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road

It doesnt in the capital citys which are just as info dense as yours.

but it does around here.

BULL****.

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg

Doesnt even have any street view.

Just another steaming turd...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 18:02:09 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg

Doesnt even have any street view.

I can see where I am with my own eyes when I get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg

Doesnt even have any street view.

I can see where I am with my own eyes when I get there.

Useless when you want to see which of the possibilitys
appeals to you most from the street view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 20:18:52 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg

Doesnt even have any street view.

I can see where I am with my own eyes when I get there.

Useless when you want to see which of the possibilitys
appeals to you most from the street view

I had to zoom in to Chisinau, enter the Lat/Long onto my GPS III and drive there in 2008.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

CORRECT TOOL FOR THE JOB.

http://swldxer.co.uk/chisinau.jpg

Doesnt even have any street view.

I can see where I am with my own eyes when I get there.

Useless when you want to see which of the possibilitys
appeals to you most from the street view

I had to zoom in to Chisinau, enter the Lat/Long onto my GPS III and drive
there in 2008.

Street view is much better if you are deciding which you want to visit as a
tourist etc.

And works a lot better with everything on your phone too, satnav,
particularly
when walking around as a tourist, full live public transport scheduling,
booking
paying, delay updates etc, and the camera as well, all in the one thing that
goes
in your pocket effortless, no need to lug a ****ing great sack of ****
around.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all.

Being retired we would use the phablet with its sim card for
recreational use so would unlikelyy need real-time traffic flow info. We
would be using this set-up only as an aid to our Paper Map reading.
The inbuilt GPS from my pay-as-you go simcard would show our location on
the downloaded maps in real time as we travel along.
So this arrangement is not costing anything, and suits our needs. The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

john.west wrote:
So this arrangement is not costing anything, and suits our needs. The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

My recommendation would be Here!, it's free and can be set to work
off-line once the maps have been downloaded. You can select the areas
of maps you want, e.g. just England or the whole of the UK and/or
countries in Europe according to how much space you have available.

I use it on my Moto G phone (even mounted on my motorbike!) and on a
cheap 7" tablet.

Remember to download the maps using WiFi unless you have unlimited
data on your phone deal.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2017 10:09, john.west wrote:
Thanks to all.

The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly
slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me.
Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you
can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on
the play store) and then use what works best for you.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

john.west wrote:
So this arrangement is not costing anything, and suits our needs. The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

My recommendation would be Here!, it's free and can be set to work
off-line once the maps have been downloaded. You can select the areas
of maps you want, e.g. just England or the whole of the UK and/or
countries in Europe according to how much space you have available.

+1 for Here! I have it on my phone for emergencies when I don't have my sat-
nav.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:42:56 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 01:09:07 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Sammy replied, "Oh yes, we did. We all held hands and danced around the cash register singing, 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus.'

CAN YOU GET A JEWISH YORKSHIREMAN?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Marks

Probably, they're both mean.

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants -- Whitney Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:40:27 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 01:09:07 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

THE DAB ANTENNA ON THE NUVICAM, YOU IDIOT.
I'VE HAD A DAB ANTENNA FOR MY SONY SINCE 2008!

You never used to write in capitals. Why do you lose your temper so much nowadays?

MdDS.

Thought that was gone?

--
Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa £35K:
Your main duties will include:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 15:54:45 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 09/01/2017 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 13:00:28 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/01/2017 11:16, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 9 January 2017 10:44:29 UTC, john.west wrote:
Sat Navs typically have say a 5 inch screen, but i can buy a *ten* inch
Phablet (a tablet which can take a phone sim card) for 60 or 70 pounds
on Amazon.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/nuvicam.jpg

Can't you fit a 42" monitor then?

I can't even get rid of that flaming DAB antenna.

You might need Dab soon because they are considering shutting down

FM broadcasts within the next few years..
(Unless you aren't interested in listening to radio in the car).

He'll also need it for the traffic updates for the GPS. I assume they are going digital too.

--
There once was a time when all people believed in god and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages. -- Richard Lederer

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"john.west" wrote in message
news
Thanks to all.

Being retired we would use the phablet with its sim card for recreational
use so would unlikelyy need real-time traffic flow info. We would be using
this set-up only as an aid to our Paper Map reading.
The inbuilt GPS from my pay-as-you go simcard would show our location on
the downloaded maps in real time as we travel along.
So this arrangement is not costing anything, and suits our needs.

The other part of the original question was: if anyone would have
experience of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map
Apps, since there are so many to choose from.

I prefer the google map app myself, mainly for the street view
which can be handy when deciding which place to visit when
doing recreational stuff, and for the way they accept corrections
to the maps if you care to tell them about map errors. Works fine
offline too now although I dont bother myself, it doesnt use that much
data in online mode and that give you the latest data all the time.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 13-Jan-17 2:03 AM, Sam Jackson wrote:

"john.west" wrote in message
[...]

I was impressed by Google Maps ability to reroute without data on Malta.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:14:17 +0000, Chris B wrote:

On 12/01/2017 10:09, john.west wrote:
Thanks to all.

The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly
slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me.
Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you
can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on
the play store) and then use what works best for you.

From following this thread and having got a low cost Android
smartphone I've just received the 3 Sim.

The one thing I'd really like from an Android Satnav app is to be able
to install a custom POI file as I do with my old Garmin.

Any tips as to what works well? Here! doesn't seem to support POIs.
The procedure for Navmii seems convoluted.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2017 13:46, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:14:17 +0000, Chris B wrote:

On 12/01/2017 10:09, john.west wrote:
Thanks to all.

The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly
slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me.
Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you
can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on
the play store) and then use what works best for you.

From following this thread and having got a low cost Android
smartphone I've just received the 3 Sim.

The one thing I'd really like from an Android Satnav app is to be able
to install a custom POI file as I do with my old Garmin.

Any tips as to what works well? Here! doesn't seem to support POIs.
The procedure for Navmii seems convoluted.

https://galileo-app.com ?

I use it on an iphone, and bookmark my own POI.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

Cost? I bought a 7in satnav for £40 with free map updates. No need for a
sim payment.

I don't do much intercity driving these days but at price, I'd get one.
Which model please? TIA.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:37:51 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 25/01/2017 13:46, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:14:17 +0000, Chris B wrote:

On 12/01/2017 10:09, john.west wrote:
Thanks to all.

The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly
slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me.
Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you
can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on
the play store) and then use what works best for you.

From following this thread and having got a low cost Android
smartphone I've just received the 3 Sim.

The one thing I'd really like from an Android Satnav app is to be able
to install a custom POI file as I do with my old Garmin.

Any tips as to what works well? Here! doesn't seem to support POIs.
The procedure for Navmii seems convoluted.

https://galileo-app.com ?

I use it on an iphone, and bookmark my own POI.

A quick look seems as if this should do nicely thanks. My POI has
about 40,000 entries across the UK and I've checked that I can
download it as a csv or gpx.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2017 12:54, AnthonyL wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:37:51 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 25/01/2017 13:46, AnthonyL wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:14:17 +0000, Chris B wrote:

On 12/01/2017 10:09, john.west wrote:
Thanks to all.

The
other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience
of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since
there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly
slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me.
Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you
can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on
the play store) and then use what works best for you.

From following this thread and having got a low cost Android
smartphone I've just received the 3 Sim.

The one thing I'd really like from an Android Satnav app is to be able
to install a custom POI file as I do with my old Garmin.

Any tips as to what works well? Here! doesn't seem to support POIs.
The procedure for Navmii seems convoluted.

https://galileo-app.com ?

I use it on an iphone, and bookmark my own POI.

A quick look seems as if this should do nicely thanks. My POI has
about 40,000 entries across the UK and I've checked that I can
download it as a csv or gpx.

Thought you meant a couple of pubs! Be interested to know if it works.

--
Cheers, Rob