Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing contractors

My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:46:55 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

IDK, depends on local conditions. Here in NJ there was no problem
getting quotes 6 months after Sandy, when you would think they would
be extra busy. I had 3 here inside a week I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2017 06:53 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:46:55 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

IDK, depends on local conditions. Here in NJ there was no problem
getting quotes 6 months after Sandy, when you would think they would
be extra busy. I had 3 here inside a week I think.

Thanks. Guess I will just ask some more
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:59:12 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 09/14/2017 06:53 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 7:46:55 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

IDK, depends on local conditions. Here in NJ there was no problem
getting quotes 6 months after Sandy, when you would think they would
be extra busy. I had 3 here inside a week I think.

Thanks. Guess I will just ask some more

One thing to think about is venting, if it's adequate, if you want to
change or add. I got rid of a power vent in favor of ridge venting
when I did mine. Another is to take a look if there is any rotting
of any of the fascia boards at the soffits. I had some, I did that
work myself. None of the companies said a word about that, IDK
what happens if they notice it at the time, ie do they offer to fix
it? It would screw up their work cycle that's for sure, they
would have to get the right material, etc. It's certainly better to do
it first, as they will put drip edge over the soffit fascia boards
and the new shingles will extend over it, etc. If you do it first,
you don't have to worry about damaging the old shingles. How about gutters?
They in good shape?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2017 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Hard to believe. No absence of contractors around here. I got 4 bids
before accepting one for new deck in a few weeks. If you put your name
on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you. Not necessarily recommending as they had none of the
good contractors I know around here when I looked at their roofing
contractors. Roof is maybe next inline and I'm going to call the ones I
like in the Spring.

Don't hire just any roofer but make sure they are licensed with workers
comp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

[...]

Depends on where you are. About 2 years ago I also used the Home
Advisor for contractors. Sent it out around 8 AM and by lunch I had
either 3 or 4 to call . Four came out and for 28 squares it was from
about 8,000 to 18,000. I did not take the lowest,but then next to the
lowest price of just over 8,000 this was for either 40 or 50 year
shingles. As I was about 65 If they go for 30 years it should be good
enough....

As said, make sure the are insured and bonded. I asked and the
contractor showed me the paper work on that. I told him I did not want
anything to come back on me if they fell off or any other problems. My
roof was almost a 45 deg angle. About 8 men showed up and did not use
any safety equipment at all. I thought for sure some would fall off,
but they walked around the roof as if it was flat ground.

The crew came out about 2 or 3 weeks later as agreed on and was finished
in one day. This was a tear off and replace, plus cover 3 power vents
and install the ridge vent.

They took off the power vents and put in the roof ridge type as per
agreement.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2017 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Did they come out and look at it? Inspect your house? I've heard of
things like this but in 52 years of owning houses, I've never had anyone
look at anything. But I'm also a good looking guy that is very
trustworthy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2017 07:11 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks. Guess I will just ask some more

One thing to think about is venting, if it's adequate, if you want to
change or add. I got rid of a power vent in favor of ridge venting
when I did mine. Another is to take a look if there is any rotting
of any of the fascia boards at the soffits. I had some, I did that
work myself. None of the companies said a word about that, IDK
what happens if they notice it at the time, ie do they offer to fix
it? It would screw up their work cycle that's for sure, they
would have to get the right material, etc. It's certainly better to do
it first, as they will put drip edge over the soffit fascia boards
and the new shingles will extend over it, etc. If you do it first,
you don't have to worry about damaging the old shingles. How about gutters?
They in good shape?

I have a lead an another roofer, will get more info soon.

The gutters were replaced 25 years ago and still in good shape but there
may be some rotting wood. I will of course have them look for that and
replace as needed.

My days of going up on tall ladders are over.

Also, last time they did add a number of roof vents.

BTW: The bank owned house a few doors away is really a nightmare.

They put new gutters up right over rotted wood.

Houses in my neighborhood usually sell within a few weeks but this one
has been vacant for about a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2017 07:15 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

Thanks. Guess I will just ask some more

One thing to think about is venting, if it's adequate, if you want to
change or add. I got rid of a power vent in favor of ridge venting
when I did mine. Another is to take a look if there is any rotting
of any of the fascia boards at the soffits. I had some, I did that
work myself. None of the companies said a word about that, IDK
what happens if they notice it at the time, ie do they offer to fix
it? It would screw up their work cycle that's for sure, they
would have to get the right material, etc. It's certainly better to do
it first, as they will put drip edge over the soffit fascia boards
and the new shingles will extend over it, etc. If you do it first,
you don't have to worry about damaging the old shingles. How about gutters?
They in good shape?

+1 on ridge and soffit venting, you can dramatically prolong the life
of your roof by making this simple change.

Yeah, if I have to keep getting my roof replaced every 25 years this is
eventually going to be a real PITA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2017 07:15 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Since this is going to be a minimum of $15k, just surprised that they
don't even bother to give an estimate. The next one hopefully will be
better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2017 10:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

[...]

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I
never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 09:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.

Thank you

If this next one does not work out will probably give that a try
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 08:23 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/14/2017 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Did they come out and look at it? Inspect your house? I've heard of
things like this but in 52 years of owning houses, I've never had anyone
look at anything. But I'm also a good looking guy that is very
trustworthy.

Two of them returned my phone call and set up a time to come out and
estimate. They never showed up, never called ...nothing.

Also, I went over and talked to the boss of the work crew replacing the
roof of a neighbor's house. I said to him when he had a minute to come
over and give me an estimate.

He agreed but never bothered to walk over.

I suppose they just have too much business this time of year.

I recall when I was painting houses and it got too late in the year, I
still gave estimates and had work waiting the next year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:21:21 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/15/2017 09:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.

Thank you

If this next one does not work out will probably give that a try

I believe my wife used the site to get recommendations from other
owners in our neighborhood. Then went from there.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:21:21 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/15/2017 09:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.

Thank you

If this next one does not work out will probably give that a try

I believe my wife used the site to get recommendations from other
owners in our neighborhood. Then went from there.

Good luck.

Thanks

Five years ago I knew this day was coming so at least have the money set
aside. Even got the wife to agree, no big vacation next year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 11:18 AM, philo wrote:

Don't hire just any roofer but make sure they are licensed with
workers comp.

Since this is going to be a minimum of $15k, just surprised that they
don't even bother to give an estimate. The next one hopefully will be
better.

They don't even have to come out. Some use Goggle earth to see the roof
and calculate size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:21:21 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/15/2017 09:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.

Thank you

If this next one does not work out will probably give that a try

I believe my wife used the site to get recommendations from other
owners in our neighborhood. Then went from there.

Good luck.

We used home advisor to find a couple of roofers to give us bids on
replacing our roof. It was at the end of its life and was beginning to
leak. So, we chose the better company, and they did a nice job of
tearing off two layers of old roof, replacing wood where needed, and
putting a new roof on in one day. They left as it was getting dark.

We thought they would be back the next day to clean up their mess, but
they only came back to retrieve some extra roof packages. I was finding
nails all over the driveway around our vehicles, and my husband kept
calling them to come clean up their mess. They had promised to leave
our yard as if they had never been there, and did not keep that promise.
They also did not replace all the fascia boards with new primed wood
that was agreed upon.

My husband could never get anyone to answer the phone when he'd call for
them to come fix the wood and clean up the yard. They were supposed to
go through the yard and driveway at least 3 times with a large magnet to
pick up stray nails, and failed to do that.

I finally had enough of them ignoring us, so I got on the Home advisor
website and left a message there to no avail. Then I emailed the Better
Business bureau and filed a complaint. Let me tell you, the very next
day the BBB contacted the business, and we woke up with our phone
ringing off the hook wanting to talk to my husband about that complaint.
The owner himself was wanting to get that complaint closed, but my
husband told him it was the wife who was NOT happy. I was the one
picking up roofing nails near and around our vehicle tires every day.

Dear husband called the man back and he was in our living room within
the hour. He called the job supervisor to our house and ripped him a
new one for not following up messages we left on his phone. They fixed
everything with the fascia boards, went thru the yard and picked up
debris they left behind, and ran that gigantic magnet on wheels through
the yard surrounding the driveway and found more nails that would have
washed into the driveway after a good rain.

That business owner would have kissed our feet to get that BBB complaint
closed. He kept saying that one complaint was costing him thousands of
dollars every day in new business.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/17 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Those three have already told you all you all you need to eliminate them
from consideration.

--
Liberals don't want a government, they want a mommy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 11:20 AM, philo wrote:
On 09/14/2017 10:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

On 9/14/2017 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

Depends on where you are.Â* About 2 years ago I also used the Home
Advisor for contractors.Â* Sent it out around 8 AM and by lunch I had
either 3 or 4 to call .Â* Four came out and for 28 squares it was from
about 8,000 to 18,000.Â* I did not take the lowest,but then next to the
lowest price of just over 8,000 this was for either 40 or 50 year
shingles.Â* As I was about 65 If they go for 30 years it should be good
enough....

As said, make sure the are insured and bonded.Â* I asked and the
contractor showed me the paper work on that.Â* I told him I did not want
anything to come back on me if they fell off or any other problems. My
roof was almost a 45 deg angle.Â* About 8 men showed up and did not use
any safety equipment at all.Â* I thought for sure some would fall off,
but they walked around the roof as if it was flat ground.

The crew came out about 2 or 3 weeks later as agreed on and was finished
in one day.Â* This was a tear off and replace, plus cover 3 power vents
and install the ridge vent.

They took off the power vents and put in the roof ridge type as per
agreement.

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I
never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.

I was all over the roof in my younger days but not now. I might go up
ladder to 1st level to clean gutters but that's it.

One son that is an insurance company lawyer tells me he has several
cases in front of him where workers fell off roofs with severe injuries
like broken backs or knees that needed replacement and if they don't
have workman's comp can come after the home owner. In getting our new
deck my wife has gotten copies of insurance for not only the contractor
but for his sub that is doing the new deck.

Couple of years ago we had a carpet installer fall and punch a hole in
the wall and hurt his shoulder. PITA to get him to fix it and he did
not complain about sore shoulder.

We called our insurance company to see if we could get a rider on our
homeowners to cover workers and they said they did not sell them
although lawyer son with another company got one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 12:57 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

My lawyer son had this problem with a new roof but it was not nails on
the ground but gutters full of nails which backed up causing water
damage. I'm not only going to get new roof but gutters and downspouts
in that order.

Many years ago, when I bought this house and had winged roof and not
enough nails used in siding, the BBB was useless in getting help from
and I personally knew the head of our local BBB. She was useless too,
just a bureaucratic hack. The county withholding building permits from
my contractor made him remove and reinstall the aluminum siding but let
the roof go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:57:24 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

[...]

Was this work written in a contract or just an agreement and promises?

Any large job like this needs a written contract, statement of work,
materials list, start date and exact ending date. IMHO.

Sometimes you need to put a size 12 boot up their ass that needs to be
surgically removed or light a fire :-)

Back in 2006 I had dispute with a company in NYC. They jacked around.
I filed an online complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The
phone started ringing. They tough guy was eating out of my hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

If they are so busy then riding around the area should give some names. I
did that last roof and they gave me a price but my neighbor recommended
someone else - who did the work - prices were very close. I wish I had used
the one I found... Long story there.

I don't know why they are not returning your call. They can't smell bad
breath over the phone. g I'm sure material prices will be going up with
the hurricanes so maybe they want to fudge their quotes until prices
stabilize.

Go to a supply house and get some names. They usually don't steer people
wrong.

You aren't on one of those slow pay / bad customer lists are you - or have
symbols on the curb? g

I had another funny comment but I forgot it...

You have until May so...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 12:57:30 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Who paid them before the work was complete? That's how you make sure
they complete the job, don't pay in full until it;s done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I
never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.

I was all over the roof in my younger days but not now.Â* I might go up
ladder to 1st level to clean gutters but that's it.

One son that is an insurance company lawyer tells me he has several
cases in front of him where workers fell off roofs with severe injuries
like broken backs or knees that needed replacement and if they don't
have workman's comp can come after the home owner.Â* In getting our new
deck my wife has gotten copies of insurance for not only the contractor
but for his sub that is doing the new deck.

Couple of years ago we had a carpet installer fall and punch a hole in
the wall and hurt his shoulder.Â* PITA to get him to fix it and he did
not complain about sore shoulder.

We called our insurance company to see if we could get a rider on our
homeowners to cover workers and they said they did not sell them
although lawyer son with another company got one.

Thanks for the info.

I better find one who has insurance then
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 10:49 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/15/2017 11:18 AM, philo wrote:

Don't hire just any roofer but make sure they are licensed with
workers comp.

Since this is going to be a minimum of $15k, just surprised that they
don't even bother to give an estimate. The next one hopefully will be
better.

They don't even have to come out.Â* Some use Goggle earth to see the roof
and calculate size.

I can see my roof from Google Earth but the ones I talked to said they
would come out in person.

At any rate, I think I have a lead now.

My step-daughter's boyfriend's brother has his own roofing company and
he has over 20 years experience. I will talk to him next week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 12:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/14/17 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Those three have already told you all you all you need to eliminate them
from consideration.

Yep, though I doubt I'll hear from them again, if they ever would decide
to call or show up I would never consider them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2017 02:29 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

Go to a supply house and get some names. They usually don't steer people
wrong.

You aren't on one of those slow pay / bad customer lists are you - or have
symbols on the curb? g

I had another funny comment but I forgot it...

You have until May so...

As mentioned , looks like I may have a lead,
should know next week

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 1:06 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/15/2017 12:57 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 9/15/2017 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 10:21:21 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/15/2017 09:43 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 20:15:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

If you put your name on one of the internet in a site like Home
Advisor, they will be
contacting you.

We used https://nextdoor.com/ for a plumber. Had numerous contact
us.

Thank you

If this next one does not work out will probably give that a try

I believe my wife used the site to get recommendations from other
owners in our neighborhood.Â* Then went from there.

Good luck.

We used home advisor to find a couple of roofers to give us bids on
replacing our roof.Â* It was at the end of its life and was beginning to
leak.Â* So, we chose the better company, and they did a nice job of
tearing off two layers of old roof, replacing wood where needed, and
putting a new roof on in one day.Â* They left as it was getting dark.

We thought they would be back the next day to clean up their mess, but
they only came back to retrieve some extra roof packages.Â* I was finding
nails all over the driveway around our vehicles, and my husband kept
calling them to come clean up their mess.Â* They had promised to leave
our yard as if they had never been there, and did not keep that promise.
Â* They also did not replace all the fascia boards with new primed wood
that was agreed upon.

My husband could never get anyone to answer the phone when he'd call for
them to come fix the wood and clean up the yard.Â* They were supposed to
go through the yard and driveway at least 3 times with a large magnet to
pick up stray nails, and failed to do that.

I finally had enough of them ignoring us, so I got on the Home advisor
website and left a message there to no avail.Â* Then I emailed the Better
Business bureau and filed a complaint.Â* Let me tell you, the very next
day the BBB contacted the business, and we woke up with our phone
ringing off the hook wanting to talk to my husband about that complaint.
Â* The owner himself was wanting to get that complaint closed, but my
husband told him it was the wife who was NOT happy.Â* I was the one
picking up roofing nails near and around our vehicle tires every day.

Dear husband called the man back and he was in our living room within
the hour.Â* He called the job supervisor to our house and ripped him a
new one for not following up messages we left on his phone.Â* They fixed
everything with the fascia boards, went thru the yard and picked up
debris they left behind, and ran that gigantic magnet on wheels through
the yard surrounding the driveway and found more nails that would have
washed into the driveway after a good rain.

That business owner would have kissed our feet to get that BBB complaint
closed. He kept saying that one complaint was costing him thousands of
dollars every day in new business.

My lawyer son had this problem with a new roof but it was not nails on
the ground but gutters full of nails which backed up causing water
damage.Â* I'm not only going to get new roof but gutters and downspouts
in that order.

Many years ago, when I bought this house and had winged roof and not
enough nails used in siding, the BBB was useless in getting help from
and I personally knew the head of our local BBB.Â* She was useless too,
just a bureaucratic hack.Â* The county withholding building permits from
my contractor made him remove and reinstall the aluminum siding but let
the roof go.

I don't think the BBB had to really do anything except advertise the
complaint, and then tell the business owner he had so many days to
respond to the complaint. He was very upset because he was supposed to
have the highest rating from the BBB, and my complaint was going to
effect that rating if he didn't make right on that companies promises.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the work was written in the contract.

Any large job like this needs a written contract, statement of work,
materials list, start date and exact ending date. IMHO.

Sometimes you need to put a size 12 boot up their ass that needs to be
surgically removed or light a fire :-)

LOL My husband wears a size 12D boot, too. But, he wasn't the one who
made the complaint. I don't need a big boot or have to carry a big
stick, either. I know how to make a fuss on social media! ha!
Businesses live by social media these days.

Back in 2006 I had dispute with a company in NYC. They jacked around.
I filed an online complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. The
phone started ringing. They tough guy was eating out of my hand.

That's how it should be, too!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 3:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

They weren't paid for the job, yet!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2017 10:00 PM, philo wrote:
On 09/15/2017 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I
never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.

I was all over the roof in my younger days but not now.Â* I might go up
ladder to 1st level to clean gutters but that's it.

One son that is an insurance company lawyer tells me he has several
cases in front of him where workers fell off roofs with severe
injuries like broken backs or knees that needed replacement and if
they don't have workman's comp can come after the home owner.Â* In
getting our new deck my wife has gotten copies of insurance for not
only the contractor but for his sub that is doing the new deck.

Couple of years ago we had a carpet installer fall and punch a hole in
the wall and hurt his shoulder.Â* PITA to get him to fix it and he did
not complain about sore shoulder.

We called our insurance company to see if we could get a rider on our
homeowners to cover workers and they said they did not sell them
although lawyer son with another company got one.

Thanks for the info.

I better find one who has insurance then

We found in contracting for our new deck that the contractors readily
supplied the information to assure us. One ditched us when we requested it.

Building permits for roofs are only required here if something like 20%
of underlying boards must be replaced. To get a building permit in this
county the contractor must be licensed, bonded and insured.

We were surprised that our home owners insurance would not cover these
workers and we could not even get a rider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2017 8:44 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/15/2017 10:00 PM, philo wrote:
On 09/15/2017 12:54 PM, Frank wrote:

Even in my younger days when I earned a living by painting houses, I
never went up on a roof other than a single story ranch house.

I was all over the roof in my younger days but not now.Â* I might go
up ladder to 1st level to clean gutters but that's it.

One son that is an insurance company lawyer tells me he has several
cases in front of him where workers fell off roofs with severe
injuries like broken backs or knees that needed replacement and if
they don't have workman's comp can come after the home owner.Â* In
getting our new deck my wife has gotten copies of insurance for not
only the contractor but for his sub that is doing the new deck.

Couple of years ago we had a carpet installer fall and punch a hole
in the wall and hurt his shoulder.Â* PITA to get him to fix it and he
did not complain about sore shoulder.

We called our insurance company to see if we could get a rider on our
homeowners to cover workers and they said they did not sell them
although lawyer son with another company got one.

Thanks for the info.

I better find one who has insurance then

We found in contracting for our new deck that the contractors readily
supplied the information to assure us.Â* One ditched us when we requested
it.

Building permits for roofs are only required here if something like 20%
of underlying boards must be replaced.Â* To get a building permit in this
county the contractor must be licensed, bonded and insured.

We were surprised that our home owners insurance would not cover these
workers and we could not even get a rider.

IMO, your insurance should NOT cover them, but they also should not be
allowed to sue you for injuries. They are the dumb ones getting injured
not using proper equipment or unsafe practices. My opinion does not
always hold up in court though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 10:13:44 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

+1

That's how it should be, unless the homeowner specifically did something
out of the ordinary to cause the injury, eg the homeowner moved one of
their ladders and hit them in the head while doing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2017 6:26 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

And now your story doesn't pass the smell test. I don't believe you
couldn't get them to return calls, to cleanup, do some minor work to complete
a roofing job when they haven't been paid. Unless your whole story, including
going to the BBB occurred over a short time period.

Gee ... I didn't realize I had to pass a test to relay an event that we
experienced with our roofer.

This happens when the contractor has your money, not when you have theirs.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2017 10:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

20% of underlying boards must be replaced.Â* To get a building permit
in this county the contractor must be licensed, bonded and insured.

We were surprised that our home owners insurance would not cover these
workers and we could not even get a rider.

IMO, your insurance should NOT cover them, but they also should not be
allowed to sue you for injuries.Â* They are the dumb ones getting injured
not using proper equipment or unsafe practices.Â* My opinion does not
always hold up in court though.

I agree with you but my son says sometimes the court will rule in their
favor. These people will appear in court all crippled up in a wheel
chair and a jury or even judge will feel sorry for them and award them
damages.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that my son got a rider from his insurance
company and thought it was about $15/year. My insurer will not sell one
and will only offer a policy for hundreds of dollars.

Bad enough dealing with contractors and we all know it is not a picnic
dealing with insurance companies. My neighbor, Poor Richard who I
mentioned here previously, had this problem when tree fell on his wife
and house last winter. It was a struggle for him to get a contractor
for his new roof at what insurance would pay and while guy he got did a
good job it was done on the weekend with employees from who knows where.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:24:49 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 10:38:56 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

Gee ... I didn't realize I had to pass a test to relay an event that we
experienced with our roofer.

Poor Jenny, it is said that ignorance is bliss, however, by the time
one reaches your advanced years, a rational person should have
discovered that aphorism is fallacious.

"Smell test" is an idiomatic expression that refers to an informal
method for determining whether something is authentic, credible, or
ethical, by using one's common sense or sense of propriety.

In other words, trader_4 doubts the veracity of your story. Based
upon your behavior in this group, he has a valid concern, IMHO.

Let's just say that if what she says is true, that the contractor
had a roof replacement complete, done except for some minor trim replacement
and picking up nails and they had not been paid, yet they would not
answer calls, couldn't be found, had to go to the BBB, then I bet there
is a lot more to the story that we don't know. I'd love to hear the
contractor's version.