Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Roofing contractors

In article , "frank says...

On 9/14/2017 7:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Hard to believe. No absence of contractors around here. I got 4 bids
before accepting one for new deck in a few weeks. If you put your name
on one of the internet in a site like Home Advisor, they will be
contacting you. Not necessarily recommending as they had none of the
good contractors I know around here when I looked at their roofing
contractors. Roof is maybe next inline and I'm going to call the ones I
like in the Spring.

Don't hire just any roofer but make sure they are licensed with workers
comp.

Depends on where you are. About 2 years ago I also used the Home
Advisor for contractors. Sent it out around 8 AM and by lunch I had
either 3 or 4 to call . Four came out and for 28 squares it was from
about 8,000 to 18,000. I did not take the lowest,but then next to the
lowest price of just over 8,000 this was for either 40 or 50 year
shingles. As I was about 65 If they go for 30 years it should be good
enough....

As said, make sure the are insured and bonded. I asked and the
contractor showed me the paper work on that. I told him I did not want
anything to come back on me if they fell off or any other problems. My
roof was almost a 45 deg angle. About 8 men showed up and did not use
any safety equipment at all. I thought for sure some would fall off,
but they walked around the roof as if it was flat ground.

The crew came out about 2 or 3 weeks later as agreed on and was finished
in one day. This was a tear off and replace, plus cover 3 power vents
and install the ridge vent.

They took off the power vents and put in the roof ridge type as per
agreement.

---