Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing contractors

On 9/16/2017 11:24 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 10:38:56 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

Gee ... I didn't realize I had to pass a test to relay an event that we
experienced with our roofer.

Poor Jenny, it is said that ignorance is bliss, however, by the time
one reaches your advanced years, a rational person should have
discovered that aphorism is fallacious.

"Smell test" is an idiomatic expression that refers to an informal
method for determining whether something is authentic, credible, or
ethical, by using one's common sense or sense of propriety.

In other words, trader_4 doubts the veracity of your story. Based
upon your behavior in this group, he has a valid concern, IMHO.

HAHA! Frankly, his sniffer must be clogged up, and your synopsis is
supposed to come across as being intelligent, emphasis on "supposed to".

Why do you feel the need to resort to such responses if you feel you are
intelligent enough to take me on in a legitimate fashion? Perhaps, you
really are not as capable, and I am giving you more credit than you deserve?

You come across as able, but too lazy to engage in conversation that
requires any real thought or effort. On the bright side, you probably
fit nicely into certain societal boxes that accept such laziness as
being normal.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Gee ... I didn't realize I had to pass a test to relay an event that we
experienced with our roofer.

Poor Jenny, it is said that ignorance is bliss, however, by the time
one reaches your advanced years, a rational person should have
discovered that aphorism is fallacious.

"Smell test" is an idiomatic expression that refers to an informal
method for determining whether something is authentic, credible, or
ethical, by using one's common sense or sense of propriety.

In other words, trader_4 doubts the veracity of your story. Based
upon your behavior in this group, he has a valid concern, IMHO.

Let's just say that if what she says is true,

Of course what I said is true.

that the contractor
had a roof replacement complete, done except for some minor trim replacement
and picking up nails and they had not been paid, yet they would not
answer calls,

yep ... still all true.

couldn't be found, had to go to the BBB, then I bet there
is a lot more to the story that we don't know.

Nope ... that's the whole story.

I'd love to hear the contractor's version.

The owners excuse was the job foreman was "new" to being a foreman, and
simply "screwed up" by neglecting to "follow-up", which, I did mention
already.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

And the owner didn't care that you had not paid a dime for a whole new roof? Didn't notice? How long did this go on? You made a lot of calls, who were you calling and leaving messages with? How could you only be dealing with a foreman? I never had a number for a foreman, only a number for a business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing contractors Follow up

On 09/14/2017 06:46 PM, philo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around
$15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even
bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to
reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Sep 2017, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

I have similar problems as you. I need roof work done, but of the
several roofers I contacted a few months ago, they all either never
responded or told me they weren't interested in the job.

I'm about to start of a new round of exploration. I want to have it
done by the onset of winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/19/2017 08:23 PM, Nil wrote:
On 19 Sep 2017, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

I have similar problems as you. I need roof work done, but of the
several roofers I contacted a few months ago, they all either never
responded or told me they weren't interested in the job.

I'm about to start of a new round of exploration. I want to have it
done by the onset of winter.

Two of them never called back...two called back and made an appointment
but never bothered to show up...not even a call.

I will not even attempt to give them a 2nd chance.

The guy who came over today called me right back...made an appointment
same day and even called later to tell me he was running a few minutes late.

I feel good about this one as he carefully inspected both the inside and
out. If the estimate is anywhere close to where I think it should be
I'm going to hire him. It's a well known firm in town.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/20/2017 07:18 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

I'm up in Wisconsin and since I told them it could be done next year the
"kinda busy right now" excuse would not work with me.

The guy who did show up for the estimate told me he was very busy but
always has time to fit someone in.

I like that attitude!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:34:37 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/20/2017 07:18 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

I'm up in Wisconsin and since I told them it could be done next year the
"kinda busy right now" excuse would not work with me.

The guy who did show up for the estimate told me he was very busy but
always has time to fit someone in.

I like that attitude!

Sounds like you might just have a winner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:18:49 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

Just very recently a contractor in Las Vegas packed his truck and
trailer and headed to the Houston. Local news had an article about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/20/2017 01:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:34:37 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/20/2017 07:18 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

I'm up in Wisconsin and since I told them it could be done next year the
"kinda busy right now" excuse would not work with me.

The guy who did show up for the estimate told me he was very busy but
always has time to fit someone in.

I like that attitude!

Sounds like you might just have a winner.

I should know within a day or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

Just very recently a contractor in Las Vegas packed his truck and
trailer and headed to the Houston. Local news had an article about it.

Well, the guy who showed up still has not given me an estimate so I
decided to use Home Advisor.

On their recommendation I have two more to try on Monday
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing contractors ....Conclusion

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

Just very recently a contractor in Las Vegas packed his truck and
trailer and headed to the Houston. Local news had an article about it.

Well, the guy who showed up still has not given me an estimate so I
decided to use Home Advisor.

On their recommendation I have two more to try on Monday

Did not need Home Advisor, the guy I expected to give me the estimate
did send it after all. Since it was slightly less than what I expected I
took it. Now all I have to do is get some money into my checking account.

Out of five calls to contractors only one showed up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:51:31 -0500, philo wrote in

The fifth one I contacted actually showed up!

Roofing business must be really good.

If you are anywhere within 600 miles of Houston or Florida, they are
all probably down in those places raking it in.

Just very recently a contractor in Las Vegas packed his truck and
trailer and headed to the Houston. Local news had an article about it.

Well, the guy who showed up still has not given me an estimate so I
decided to use Home Advisor.

On their recommendation I have two more to try on Monday

Did not need Home Advisor, the guy I expected to give me the estimate
did send it after all. Since it was slightly less than what I expected I
took it. Now all I have to do is get some money into my checking account.

Out of five calls to contractors only one showed up.

For giggles and grins: (Northern CA)

Rip off the old. Dry-in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMoMHV2lw0

Finish next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztueGspo3QI

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looks like there was about 3 layers on part of the roof - it was
definitely HIGH TIME to replace it anyway!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products. It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products. It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?

Yes. 10 year 100% pro-rated for the next 15.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 18:21:44 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/28/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products. It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?

Yes. 10 year 100% pro-rated for the next 15.

Might not mean much if he closes shop 8 years from now.
Happened to me. Capping went bad. Cost me another $900 to have it all replaced.
Manufacturing defect. But that was an odd one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2017 07:05 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 18:21:44 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/28/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products. It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?

Yes. 10 year 100% pro-rated for the next 15.

Might not mean much if he closes shop 8 years from now.
Happened to me. Capping went bad. Cost me another $900 to have it all replaced.
Manufacturing defect. But that was an odd one.

Not worried about it.

What I am worried about more is that the roof had just been replaced 25
or 26 years ago.

If I keep having to get a new roof every 25 years, after a few more
roofs, it's going to get rather bothersome.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2017 10:54 AM, philo wrote:
On 09/28/2017 07:05 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 18:21:44 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/28/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products.Â* It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?

Yes. 10 year 100% pro-rated for the next 15.

Might not mean much if he closes shop 8 years from now.
Happened to me.Â* Capping went bad.Â* Cost me another $900 to have it
all replaced.
Manufacturing defect.Â* But that was an odd one.

Not worried about it.

What I am worried about more is that the roof had just been replaced 25
or 26 years ago.

If I keep having to get a new roof every 25 years, after a few more
roofs, it's going to get rather bothersome.

I know what you mean. Mine will need replacing in about 10 years but I
watched how the guys did mine. Did not look too hard so I may do it
myself if I can get the shingles delivered to the roof. Before I start
though, I'll take a double dose of ibuprofen so my joint will still work
at 82. How hard can it be?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:54:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Well, I just did my shed roof this summer. Just over 5 square, and a
total re-sheath. Sure glad to have a 40 year old son-in-law around to
lend a hand (and back and knees) I'm still a relatively young 65 - but
try telling my body that some days ----.
I've done enough roofs in my day so I know how to do it (did my first
2 at 13 - black shingles in August -) but I also know I'd be paying
for it a lot longer by doing it myself than by signing a cheque.
(What's that old saying about the mind signing a cheque the body can't
pay???)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2017 10:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9

Not worried about it.

What I am worried about more is that the roof had just been replaced
25 or 26 years ago.

If I keep having to get a new roof every 25 years, after a few more
roofs, it's going to get rather bothersome.

I know what you mean.Â* Mine will need replacing in about 10 years but I
watched how the guys did mine.Â* Did not look too hard so I may do it
myself if I can get the shingles delivered to the roof.Â* Before I start
though, I'll take a double dose of ibuprofen so my joint will still work
at 82.Â* How hard can it be?

Even when I was in my 20's I would never work on roofs other than once
helping re-roof a ranch style house. It was not even close to steep and
only ten feet off the ground.

A friend of mine's father at 92 went up on a tall ladder to inspect the
roof work being done , fell off and died a few days later.

My wife and I have a little joke now...

We've agreed that when one of us thinks the other is getting too old
we'll say," Time to check the roof now."

That said, a friend of mine actually had her 82 year old mother repair
her roof!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2017 11:59 AM, wrote:

[...]

I'm all done going up on ladders.

Had both knees replaced five years ago. Though I have few restrictions
I'd hate to wreck my new knees.

The dumpster has arrived so I know it's finally going to get done.

Guy said he'd start the work Sat or Monday and be done in 3 - 5 days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2017 10:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/29/2017 10:54 AM, philo wrote:
On 09/28/2017 07:05 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 18:21:44 -0500, philo wrote:

On 09/28/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:

Mine has two layers

Hopefully in a week from now it will be all done

The roofer, Mr. Biggs placed his sign. Looked like he used
"Certaiteed" products.Â* It is a good brand. Windows, doors, etc.

What will you get for a warranty?

Yes. 10 year 100% pro-rated for the next 15.

Might not mean much if he closes shop 8 years from now.
Happened to me.Â* Capping went bad.Â* Cost me another $900 to have it
all replaced.
Manufacturing defect.Â* But that was an odd one.

Good laugh. One of the guys I left a message for two weeks ago called
this afternoon.

I figure he's be the type of person to tear the roof off then disappear

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I know what you mean. Mine will need replacing in about 10 years but I
watched how the guys did mine. Did not look too hard so I may do it
myself if I can get the shingles delivered to the roof. Before I start
though, I'll take a double dose of ibuprofen so my joint will still work
at 82. How hard can it be?

It's not what it is, it's where it is.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

Default PHILDO ASKS ABOUT "Roofing contractors"

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:03:31 -0700, "fake vet Scatboi Colon Edmund J.
Burke" wrote:

On 9/14/2017 4:46 PM, phildo wrote:
My insurance company tells me I need a new roof by March of next year.

It's at least 25 years old and I realize it's time.

Since it will require a full tear off, I know it's going to be around $15,000.

So far I've talked to three contracting firms and none have even bothered to come and give me an estimate. Not even a call back to reschedule.

Is business /that/ booming?

I'm obviously getting peeved. Guess I will keep trying.

Be a man. Stand up tall and yell, "**** you, Insurance Company! You want a new roof, you pay for it!"
LOL

Be a moulie! Get a sheet of corrugated iron (tin in yer case) and
hammer it on yer roof! Hay, it works in Haiti!

--
Iudaei orbem terrarum infestant
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing contractors : add't follow up

They are doing the last of the work today. It will be exactly one week.
Considering they missed several days due to rain not too bad. I was told
it would be done within six days depending on weather.

In addition to them correcting a mistake in the original 1898
construction that lead to a chronic (but small) front porch leak...they
are completely re-doing the chimney flashing that they told me we not
done very well when I had the chimney replaced maybe 20 years ago.

Additionally they are putting flashing/edging all around the edge of the
roof. The folks who did it last time skipped that step.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 09:50:47 -0500, philo wrote:

They are doing the last of the work today. It will be exactly one week.
Considering they missed several days due to rain not too bad. I was told
it would be done within six days depending on weather.

In addition to them correcting a mistake in the original 1898
construction that lead to a chronic (but small) front porch leak...they
are completely re-doing the chimney flashing that they told me we not
done very well when I had the chimney replaced maybe 20 years ago.

Additionally they are putting flashing/edging all around the edge of the
roof. The folks who did it last time skipped that step.

Just in time for Winter. Ya done good!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/08/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 09:50:47 -0500, philo wrote:

They are doing the last of the work today. It will be exactly one week.
Considering they missed several days due to rain not too bad. I was told
it would be done within six days depending on weather.

In addition to them correcting a mistake in the original 1898
construction that lead to a chronic (but small) front porch leak...they
are completely re-doing the chimney flashing that they told me we not
done very well when I had the chimney replaced maybe 20 years ago.

Additionally they are putting flashing/edging all around the edge of the
roof. The folks who did it last time skipped that step.

Just in time for Winter. Ya done good!

Of course the winter here is slow coming but this is one time I've at
least got the jump on things.