Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Dark Side

On 04/17/2017 05:49 AM, David B. wrote:
On 17/04/2017 10:52, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 14:10:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/16/2017 05:48 AM, Diesel wrote:

Well, I just built a machine recently using some very new
hardware and was unable to install anything until I went into
the UEFI settings and set CSM to legacy. Hard to believe that
the mobo was non-functional with the default setup.

Essentially it made the UEFI look like a legacy BIOS as far as I
could figure.

****! BD used to tell me how knowledgeable you're supposed to be
with the PC, but... after reading several of your posts now in
various threads, I think he's misplaced his trust, again...No
offense intended.

LOL, I certainly never made the claim I'm knowledgeable...I'm
pretty dumb actually but somehow manage to solve most problems I
come across simply because I'm persistent and don't give up. I
guess I have /some/ smarts though because I often come up with
solutions that other people don't think of.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time BD mis-represented someone or
something. He's bad about doing that.

I most certainly did not intentionally misrepresent Philo - he's been
one of my Facebook friends for MANY years.

Did you know that because he spent so much time kneeling in front of
computers - praying for them to work properly again - he had to have
both of his knees replaced some years ago? He made a good recovery.

I apologize if I seemed to be insulting you, btw.

It's right and proper that you have apologized. Philo is another of
life's 'good guys' - you should endeavor to be more like him, Dustin.

Thanks but I wrecked my knees from jogging when I was younger not from
doing computer work.

I stopped jogging when I was 40 but the damage was done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/04/2017 14:14, philo wrote:
I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee School of
Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he mentioned that I do have
some computer knowledge.

Thanks for not letting me down, Philo! :-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Diesel wrote:
"Terry Coombs" news Sun, 16 Apr 2017 11:54:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It still posts , windows tries to start then goes to startup
repair . This is Win7 Pro 64 bit .

Okay.

It installed and was running , drivers were on a CD that came
with the
motherboard - Asrock N68C-GS4FX rev g/a 1.03. Problems started
after an initial round of updates from M$ update .

Ahh.. There's a work around for this very annoying issue...

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Wasted ... I have used wsus before , stumbling around until I got lucky .
I shoulda read the instructions sooner ...
The comp that had (!) Mint on it now has a fresh copy of Win7 ,
downloading updates to wsus as I type . I decided the problems inherent in
converting my whole shebang to Linux were more than I want to deal with .
And yes , this comp will be networked - that's the whole reason I wanted
them all running the same OS . Though I have figured out how to get them all
(2 Win7's , 2 XP's and 1 Vista) to talk to each other .
I think some of my problems come from marginal quality RAM , will soon
replace it . Half the stuff I recently bought has failed ... and I didn't
buy the cheapest .
--
Snag
Did you know that Cherry brandy mixes well with vodka ?

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news 16 Apr 2017 14:10:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

ROFL! Maybe BD should reach out to you via facebook to ensure the
stories match up, BEFORE he posts. lol!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 13:14:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

As a veteran of the Chicago Poetry Slam scene, Usenet insults are
rather tame and it takes quite a bit to elicit an insult. Even the
Kaditcha man eventually gave up on trying to insult me.

Hahah. Nice. I participated in something similar as a teen, myself.
Your experience however, would likely cause my arse to be handed to
me on a silver platter should I ever foolishly engage you.

You do remember him don't you?

Of course. I found him to be very amusing. I can't tell you how much
I enjoyed his effort to teach me coding by altering a very simple
program source I shared. He totally ****ed up the syntax with his
'improvements'; He jumped into the pool with both feet before
checking to make sure it had water in it. Ouch.

BTW: When I mentioned somewhere that my computer experience goes
back to 1979, I forgot to mention that that was when I started
/repairing/ computers. I was taking post graduate courses at the
time and repaired a computer my professor was unable to figure
out. I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee
School of Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he
mentioned that I do have some computer knowledge.

While not entirely wrong on his part, we're certainly not even close
to equals here. And, that's what he was implying when he brought you
up. You may not have known about that, but, he didn't select you out
of the blue.

It's that auto-update and reboot thing.
I had to use Policy Editor to get the machine to do what I wanted
and I don't think the average user wants to mess with that.
Win7 had a simple and logical update procedure.

Hmm. You aren't using windows 10 home then.. eh? Even with policy
editor settings, I'd be leery of ensuring your changes will hold.
Short of enterprise versions, they *should* hold then. I'd hate to
think what could happen if they did not in those environments.
*shudder*

For $2 I did not even try to get a refund I just threw the stick
in the computer parts recycle bin and gave the vendor a neutral
rating.

You marked the stick in some way though, right? So that you don't
forget and install it again in something else...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2017 04:51 PM, David B. wrote:
On 17/04/2017 14:14, philo wrote:
I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee School of
Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he mentioned that I do
have some computer knowledge.

Thanks for not letting me down, Philo! :-)

No problem , some here seem to have thin skin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2017 07:26 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 13:14:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

As a veteran of the Chicago Poetry Slam scene, Usenet insults are
rather tame and it takes quite a bit to elicit an insult. Even the
Kaditcha man eventually gave up on trying to insult me.

Hahah. Nice. I participated in something similar as a teen, myself.
Your experience however, would likely cause my arse to be handed to
me on a silver platter should I ever foolishly engage you.

It was a ton of fun, sometimes I got booed off the stage but on other
nights woman offered to buy me drinks after a good reading.

I never won a Chicago slam but after a 20 year absence , returned and
Marc Smith (the originator of the slam) still remembered me.

Of course it might have been because I was there with my friend Jeanne
Spicuzza, the featured reader for the evening... Move star and producer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1138219/

She even hired me once to be her photographer.

You do remember him don't you?

Of course. I found him to be very amusing. I can't tell you how much
I enjoyed his effort to teach me coding by altering a very simple
program source I shared. He totally ****ed up the syntax with his
'improvements'; He jumped into the pool with both feet before
checking to make sure it had water in it. Ouch.

Well one day I was bragging about my job as Senior Service Engineer at
Enersys-Delaware. He came back and said my job was equivalent to
spittoon cleaner in a whore house.

I could have argued with him but decided to tell the truth and just
announce, "Well, my job is not /that/ good actually.

That did shut him up and he really never picked on me again...at least
not much.

BTW: When I mentioned somewhere that my computer experience goes
back to 1979, I forgot to mention that that was when I started
/repairing/ computers. I was taking post graduate courses at the
time and repaired a computer my professor was unable to figure
out. I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee
School of Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he
mentioned that I do have some computer knowledge.

While not entirely wrong on his part, we're certainly not even close
to equals here. And, that's what he was implying when he brought you
up. You may not have known about that, but, he didn't select you out
of the blue.

BTW: I was not at all good at programming, due to punch cards and having
to wait in line, it took a week just to get one program running.

I bought a Ti99/4 in 1982 and taught myself BASIC and learned way more
on that because I could get results and correct mistakes at once.

It's that auto-update and reboot thing.
I had to use Policy Editor to get the machine to do what I wanted
and I don't think the average user wants to mess with that.
Win7 had a simple and logical update procedure.

Hmm. You aren't using windows 10 home then.. eh? Even with policy
editor settings, I'd be leery of ensuring your changes will hold.
Short of enterprise versions, they *should* hold then. I'd hate to
think what could happen if they did not in those environments.
*shudder*

Using the pro version...and yes the changes held.

For $2 I did not even try to get a refund I just threw the stick
in the computer parts recycle bin and gave the vendor a neutral
rating.

You marked the stick in some way though, right? So that you don't
forget and install it again in something else...

It went to the junk recycle bin not back in my junk box, it's long gone

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Dark Side ....Green Mill Chicago

Here Jeanne is at the Green Mill, it's one of my personal photos. I
cannot release the ones she paid for

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m7mqihkzm...Jean1.JPG?dl=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 03:18:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It was a ton of fun, sometimes I got booed off the stage but on
other nights woman offered to buy me drinks after a good reading.

I never won a Chicago slam but after a 20 year absence , returned
and Marc Smith (the originator of the slam) still remembered me.

It's always nice to be remembered. To quote Freddy...

"Being dead wasn't a problem, but being forgotten, now that's a BITCH

Of course it might have been because I was there with my friend
Jeanne Spicuzza, the featured reader for the evening... Move star
and producer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1138219/

She even hired me once to be her photographer.

Hob knob with the rich and shameless eh?

I could have argued with him but decided to tell the truth and
just announce, "Well, my job is not /that/ good actually.

That did shut him up and he really never picked on me again...at
least not much.

ROFL!

Hmm. You aren't using windows 10 home then.. eh? Even with policy
editor settings, I'd be leery of ensuring your changes will hold.
Short of enterprise versions, they *should* hold then. I'd hate
to think what could happen if they did not in those environments.
*shudder*

Using the pro version...and yes the changes held.

How long has it been since you applied them?

It went to the junk recycle bin not back in my junk box, it's long
gone

Ahh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/04/2017 14:16, philo wrote:
[...]

Unlike you, Philo, our Dustin thinks I was being serious when I said ...

"Did you know that because he spent so much time kneeling in front of
computers - praying for them to work properly again - he had to have
both of his knees replaced some years ago?"

Dustin will NEVER understand British humor! :-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/04/2017 04:08, philo wrote:
On 04/17/2017 04:51 PM, David B. wrote:
On 17/04/2017 14:14, philo wrote:
I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee School of
Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he mentioned that I do
have some computer knowledge.

Thanks for not letting me down, Philo! :-)

No problem , some here seem to have thin skin

:-)

I just LOVED the "I saw"!

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 04:14 AM, David B. wrote:

Thanks but I wrecked my knees from jogging when I was younger not from
doing computer work.

I stopped jogging when I was 40 but the damage was done.

Unlike you, Philo, our Dustin thinks I was being serious when I said ...

"Did you know that because he spent so much time kneeling in front of
computers - praying for them to work properly again - he had to have
both of his knees replaced some years ago?"

Dustin will NEVER understand British humor! :-)

He would not understand any humor, British or otherwise
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 04:15 AM, David B. wrote:
On 18/04/2017 04:08, philo wrote:
On 04/17/2017 04:51 PM, David B. wrote:
On 17/04/2017 14:14, philo wrote:
I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee School of
Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he mentioned that I do
have some computer knowledge.

Thanks for not letting me down, Philo! :-)

No problem , some here seem to have thin skin

:-)

I just LOVED the "I saw"!

There used to be a hardware store at that location.

When it closed and was converted into a restaurant, they decided to keep
the sign that was a huge saw, they just changed the name of course.

I bet most of the young patrons don't even know that it used to be a
hardware store....I think you might say "ironmongers" though
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 04:04 AM, Diesel wrote:

snip

Hob knob with the rich and shameless eh?

She is not rich, the money she made from her first movie was immediately
put into her second.

I could have argued with him but decided to tell the truth and
just announce, "Well, my job is not /that/ good actually.

That did shut him up and he really never picked on me again...at
least not much.

ROFL!

Hmm. You aren't using windows 10 home then.. eh? Even with policy
editor settings, I'd be leery of ensuring your changes will hold.
Short of enterprise versions, they *should* hold then. I'd hate
to think what could happen if they did not in those environments.
*shudder*

Using the pro version...and yes the changes held.

How long has it been since you applied them?

The machine was one of my spare Win7 machines that I upgraded to Win10
maybe four months ago.

It's had the latest updates applied (but not Creator) and all Policy
changes have stayed as they were.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/04/2017 13:53, philo wrote:
On 04/18/2017 04:14 AM, David B. wrote:

Thanks but I wrecked my knees from jogging when I was younger not from
doing computer work.

I stopped jogging when I was 40 but the damage was done.

Unlike you, Philo, our Dustin thinks I was being serious when I said ...

"Did you know that because he spent so much time kneeling in front of
computers - praying for them to work properly again - he had to have
both of his knees replaced some years ago?"

Dustin will NEVER understand British humor! :-)

He would not understand any humor, British or otherwise

You are most perceptive! :-)

I really don't like folk to be be so sad, but at least he hasn't yet
committed suicide - as I first feared he might. That was about nine
years ago; I've permitted myself to be his 'punch-ball' since then to
try to save him from self harm.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/04/2017 13:56, philo wrote:
On 04/18/2017 04:15 AM, David B. wrote:
On 18/04/2017 04:08, philo wrote:
On 04/17/2017 04:51 PM, David B. wrote:
On 17/04/2017 14:14, philo wrote:
I actually started back in 1968 with FORTAN_IV at Milwaukee School of
Engineering, so BD was not entirely wrong if he mentioned that I do
have some computer knowledge.

Thanks for not letting me down, Philo! :-)

No problem , some here seem to have thin skin

:-)

I just LOVED the "I saw"!

There used to be a hardware store at that location.

That was exactly what I had suspected.

When it closed and was converted into a restaurant, they decided to keep
the sign that was a huge saw, they just changed the name of course.

A clever idea!

I bet most of the young patrons don't even know that it used to be a
hardware store....

Indeed. I'm sure you are right about that.
I think you might say "ironmongers" though

We'd more often than not say Hardware SHOP - but we do also understand
'Ironmongers'! ;-)

You have no doubt watched this clip befo-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_6SaqVQSw

Great fun - IMO! :-)

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David B. wrote:
[...]

I thought it was hilarious .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 12:53:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 04:14 AM, David B. wrote:

Thanks but I wrecked my knees from jogging when I was younger
not from doing computer work.

I stopped jogging when I was 40 but the damage was done.

Unlike you, Philo, our Dustin thinks I was being serious when I
said ...

"Did you know that because he spent so much time kneeling in
front of computers - praying for them to work properly again - he
had to have both of his knees replaced some years ago?"

Dustin will NEVER understand British humor! :-)

He would not understand any humor, British or otherwise

ROFL. While I find your comment amusing, it's way off base. I have a
very dry sense of humour, but, it's still humour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 13:08:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 04:04 AM, Diesel wrote:

snip

Hob knob with the rich and shameless eh?

She is not rich, the money she made from her first movie was
immediately put into her second.

And you wrote that you didn't think I understood humour. Cute.

It's had the latest updates applied (but not Creator) and all
Policy changes have stayed as they were.

So far, so good then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/04/2017 18:16, Terry Coombs wrote:
David B. wrote:
[...]

Hey! That's great news! :-)

--
David B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 11:50 AM, David B. wrote:
[...]

LOL very good, I have not seen it in a while though

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 01:11 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 13:08:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 04:04 AM, Diesel wrote:

snip

Hob knob with the rich and shameless eh?

She is not rich, the money she made from her first movie was
immediately put into her second.

And you wrote that you didn't think I understood humour. Cute.

Usenet can be hard at times without seeing facial expressions or tone of
voice

It's had the latest updates applied (but not Creator) and all
Policy changes have stayed as they were.

So far, so good then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/04/2017 02:47, philo wrote:
[...]

There's another great sketch you'd enjoy. I'll make a new post so that
other folk can enjoy it too!

Cheers!

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 01:48:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 01:11 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 13:08:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 04:04 AM, Diesel wrote:

snip

Hob knob with the rich and shameless eh?

She is not rich, the money she made from her first movie was
immediately put into her second.

And you wrote that you didn't think I understood humour. Cute.

Usenet can be hard at times without seeing facial expressions or
tone of voice

While I appreciate the effort to excuse your wiseass remark, it was
still unfounded. Not only was your comment a wiseass one, it is
incorrect, as well.

There was no call for your snide remark. And, just so we're clear,
I'm not the only one who didn't buy BD's bull**** claim and your lame
excuse attempting to cover for him, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/04/2017 13:46, Diesel wrote:
[...]

So sad. :-(

-
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.