Posted to alt.home.repair
julsb1982

Default how to clean water line in amana side by side fridge

I just bought a used amana side by side fridge that is a few years old
and everything works fine on it but it was sitting in the heat and
wasnt left open to dry once it was unplugged. I cleaned the whole
inside out with clorox and water but I don't know how to clean the
water line to the water and ice dispenser. Im afraid it had water left
in the line and its now got bacteria or something in it and I need
help! Can you please tell me what I can do.....

Thanks- Julie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

julsb1982 writes:

Can you please tell me what I can do.

Rinse with lye solution to sanitize.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"julsb1982" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a used amana side by side fridge that is a few years old
and everything works fine on it but it was sitting in the heat and
wasnt left open to dry once it was unplugged. I cleaned the whole
inside out with clorox and water but I don't know how to clean the
water line to the water and ice dispenser. Im afraid it had water left
in the line and its now got bacteria or something in it and I need
help! Can you please tell me what I can do.....

Thanks- Julie

You have a couple of options.

1. hook it up and run the water for a while, it may be fine, afterall it was
sealed in the tube not exposed to much air.

2. look for a water storage tank behind the bottom drawer in the fridge
compartment. Put a few spoons of chlorine or iodine tabs in the tank then
wait and run the water long enough to flush clean. Vinegar will work just
as well and remove hard water deposits at the same time and is less toxic if
you use too much

3. Replace the tubing, it comes in kits at appliance parts counters.

No need to clean the copper supply tube (if it is copper) cause copper kills
most microorganisms.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Run a quart of water through the water server. (fill a quart pitcher
from the water dispenser, and pour down the drain.) Throw away the ice
cubes for the first t hree days. Enjoy. Public water is chlorinated.
Maybe not enough for this, but at least some what.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"julsb1982" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a used amana side by side fridge that is a few years old
and everything works fine on it but it was sitting in the heat and
wasnt left open to dry once it was unplugged. I cleaned the whole
inside out with clorox and water but I don't know how to clean the
water line to the water and ice dispenser. Im afraid it had water left
in the line and its now got bacteria or something in it and I need
help! Can you please tell me what I can do.....

Thanks- Julie

Posted to alt.home.repair
julsb1982

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Run a quart of water through the water server. (fill a quart pitcher
from the water dispenser, and pour down the drain.) Throw away the ice
cubes for the first t hree days. Enjoy. Public water is chlorinated.
Maybe not enough for this, but at least some what.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"julsb1982" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a used amana side by side fridge that is a few years old
and everything works fine on it but it was sitting in the heat and
wasnt left open to dry once it was unplugged. I cleaned the whole
inside out with clorox and water but I don't know how to clean the
water line to the water and ice dispenser. Im afraid it had water left
in the line and its now got bacteria or something in it and I need
help! Can you please tell me what I can do.....

Thanks- Julie

Thanks for your help everyone!!