Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Side by side refrigerator in garage abruptly quits working, needs 2hour thawing

I have a side by side refrigerator in the garage. This summer, when
the weather was rather warm, it suddenly quit cooling. The motor kept
on running, but the inside was warm.

I turned it off, thawed it overnight with both doors open and then it
started working again.

I put a thermometer in the refrigerator section to monitor it.

The refrigerator worked fine for another couple of weeks, then the
same thing happened, 65 degrees F inside, motor still running.

Again, re-thawed it for just two hours, with only the freezer section
open, and it is fine now.

I vaguely recall some mentions of ice forming somewhere and blocking
something, which agrees with my observations, but what exactly are the
details here?

And what can I do about it? Does this problem happen only with side by
side fridges?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:23:00 AM UTC-7, Ignoramus3194 wrote:
[...]

Check defrost timer:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....PvAcJ fpHALU
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 9:23 AM, Ignoramus3194 wrote:
[...]

It's freezing up. Every time this has happened to me, it's been
the clock motor that does the defrost timer. If your clock is
electronic, that's more difficult. You may have a busted defrost heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus3194 wrote:

[...]

Bad defrost timer, possible bad door seals allowing excess moisture in,
etc. Can happen with any refrigerator/freezer. Frost forms on the coils
in the freezer compartment and the defrost heating element on a timer
turns on to melt the frost off once a day or so. If that doesn't happen
the frost builds to the point it blocks airflow over the coils and frost
is a pretty good insulator as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3194 wrote:

[...]

Hi,
As well make sure drain is not plugged up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2012 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3194 wrote:

[...]

Just to add to the other responses .... mechanical defrost timer is
probably number one on the list. There are 2 other components involved
.... the heater and usually a thermostat. They are usually found behind
the rear panel in the freezer. The timer turns on the heater for a
fixed amount of time, but as soon as the temperature goes above freezing
(ice is gone), it shuts off the heater to save energy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remove the panel at the rear of the freezer compartment. Below the coils is
the heater - a 12 inch or so long 1/2 inch diameter quartz bulb. If it is
black, probably burnt out Check for continuity. Replace cheaply on eBay.
If not, check timer.
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 11:23 am, Ignoramus3194
wrote:
[...]

The most likely problems are a burned out defrost heater or a
failed defrost thermostat. Both are located in the freezer
compartment
behind a removeable panel. The internet can give you guidance on
how to unplug your refrigerator and test each one.
While it's possible that the defrost timer, or the electronic
motherboard containing the microprocessor that has the defrost
timing in it's software, are bad, this is much rarer than the heater
and the thermostat.

Remember, the defrost timer turns on the heater for a give time.
When the temp around the coils reaches around 50F or so, the
defrost thermostat opens up, disabling the heater, even if the timer
still had time to go, so the compartment will not "overheat".....
The thermostat is a simple mechanical bimetal switch, and as
such, is not "robust" , and can fail open after a few years, keeping
the heater from ever getting electricity.
the defrost heater is simply a heating element with no moving
paarts. But it still can fail, especially if the defrost thermostat
fails
in a "closed" position.....
Check them both, even if the first one you check is bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-20, John Keiser wrote:
Remove the panel at the rear of the freezer compartment. Below the coils is
the heater - a 12 inch or so long 1/2 inch diameter quartz bulb. If it is
black, probably burnt out Check for continuity. Replace cheaply on eBay.
If not, check timer.

This is what it seems to be, indeed.