harold balls

Default Sears Refrigerator side by side - water filter - scam?

Yellow all,
Wonder if anyone had the same experience. I have a sears
side by side refrigerator I bought about three years ago. Paid around
$1200 to $1300 for it. It works good but I don't understand the water
filtration system thats on this unit. It has the filter at the bottom
behind the grill. When you open the refrig. door , it has a bank of
led's towards the top. One of them says its time to change the water
filter. This happens about every six months. I just hit reset and it
goes back to "good". I know this is nothing more than a programed chip
telling that light to come on every six months. Here is what i don't
get. I can take the water filter completely out of the unit and the
water dispenser still works! and it does not leak in the recepticle
the filter came out of. Now how in the hell is this filter, filtering
any water? From my experience, When A water filter starts to "go bad"
you will notice a decrease in flow the worst it gets. I've had the
same filter in since I bought it and have not notice any reducing in
flow or any difference in taste. (Sears wants about $40 for anew
filter, but I see you can get them on the web for about $25.) I called
Sears up one time to question them about this, and the lady said all
she can do is send someone out on a service call to look at it. (which
I would have to pay for). I've been waiting to run into a service guy
out and about to cross examine him about this, but haven't run into
any yet.) BTW( i have city water, which the taste issue wouldn't be as
noticable probably). Has anyone else who has a sears side by side with
a water filter noticed or experienced this situation? Water filter
replacement is a big business. Thanks for any input!!
User Example

harold balls wrote:
[...]

I have one of those refrigerators. The filters do work. I can taste
the difference. If I am not mistaken, your refrigerator is a Kenmore
branded Whirlpool. You can get the filters at either Lowes or Home
Depot with the Whirlpool brand and they are a little cheaper. I can't
remember which store has them but one of them doesn't.

As far as things still working with the filter removed... there is
obviously some kind of bypass valve in there.

And as far as the life of your filter... they are probably charcoal
filters and they eventually reach their lifetime. Or, they can build up
bacteria or whatever else. Do you really want to drink water that goes
through a filter full of crud? Even if it doesn't clog up, you should
still replace them periodically.
FDR

"harold balls" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I would say there's a built in bypass valve. You wouldn't want water
streaming out when you replaced the filter now would you? As for reduced
flow, well that may be hard to tell considering the flow is prett reduced
anyway to begin with. The light on the unit is based on the # of times the
door is opened. Not very accurate I suppose, but then the application
doesn't need it. If you don't want filtration, then take the filter out and
leave it out. If you doubt that its working, cut the filter open.

RP

harold balls wrote:
[...]

If you don't want filtered water then leave it out. There is a
drip-proof valve that closes when the filter is removed. This is so you
don't have to shut off the water supply and drain the lines in order to
replace the filter. Mr. Coffee has been doing it for years, pull out the
pot while its brewing and the flow stops. Isn't too complicated actually.

hvacrmedic

Amun

[...]

You got it right on all the points, no argument from me.

Had to laugh when I saw some of the new faucet water filters that have the
same type of light to tell you to change those too.

The cars are the same now.
Lots of lights in dashboards go off at timed intervals WARNING the driver
it's time to service something.

Lordy, how did we ever know when it was time to change a filter or drain oil
or have the brakes checked in years gone by.

BTW if you think the water filters are a scam, take a look at home air
cleaners nowadays.

Hooo boy $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ when that crap piece of 20 cent corrugated paper
gets a bit dirty.,....but it's a "HEPA" filter LOL

oh,.......and don't even get me started on ink jet computer printers that
you $20.00 to buy, but $70.00 each month for replacement ink.
I'll save that rant for another post.

AMUN

Shaun Eli

Question for the experts: Is it the number of times the door is
opened, as someone stated above? Or the amount of water flow through
the filter?

I have NYC tap water which is pretty good, and my practice has been to
replace the filter every OTHER time it says to (in other words, tell it
that I replaced the filter, don't replace it, then replace it the next
time it says to).

Edwin Pawlowski

"harold balls" wrote in message

you will notice a decrease in flow the worst it gets. I've had the
same filter in since I bought it and have not notice any reducing in
flow or any difference in taste. (Sears wants about $40 for anew
filter, but I see you can get them on the web for about $25.)

You may be fortunate and have very good water to start with. I could not
get away so easily. OTOH, I'd not spend that much money on a locked in
business like that. I have an in-line filter that I can change for about
$10.

Sherman

I have one like that. I waited over a year to change it the first
time. The new filter took 22 seconds to fill a 16 oz water bottle.
The old filter took 45 seconds to fill the same water bottle.

I bought one Sears filter and didn't like the price so when the new
filter needing replacing, I removed the refrigerator filter and added
a pair of whole house water filters to the input line. I like
changing them much better. $$

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:11:06 -0400, harold balls
wrote:

[...]

MadonnaC

filter light is based on 6 months or 300 gallons, whichever comes first

FDR

"MadonnaC" wrote in message
oups.com...
filter light is based on 6 months or 300 gallons, whichever comes first

My Whirlpool, which appears to have the same filter setup, didn't go off
until nearly a year later.

MadonnaC

newer refrigerators are timed for 6 months, older ones for 12 months

harold balls

wrote:

[...]

I suppose most of you guys are probably right, but it just seems a
little fishy to me. The flow rate stays the same with the filter
removed. It must have a by-pass built in. Maybe my water feeding it is
pretty good to start with. I'm going to have to buy a new filter and
then cut open the old one. This might tell me something. Thanks for
all your input
Amun

wrote:

[...]

Wait a second here?????

You take out the filter and leave the housing completely open and it still
works fine ?

Or you pull out the filter media, put it back together without it and it
still works ?

AMUN

harold balls

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:17:49 -0400, "Amun"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I can take the filter completely out of the housing and the water
dispenser works like filter was in there. The flow rate out of the
dispenser is the same with or without the filter in. So, something
molded on the end of the filter appearently engages the bypass valve
when you put the filter in the housing. Water comes out of the filter
when I have it in my hand. My whole point about this was this light
that comes on every six months telling you to chnage the filter. If
you do not notice any reduction in flow or how the water taste. then
there is no need to change this filter, no matter what that light
says. Thats what the scam is. That is not some hi-tech filter thats
going to remove every contaminant there is. When the filter starts
going bad you will notice it. After 3 and 1/2 years mine appearently
has not reached this point. good day.

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

There's no scam, fuzznuts.

The type of filter you're describing is just an activated charcoal filter
to improve water taste. It is not particulate filter which can possibly
cause a slow down in flow if filled with particulates.

If you don't notice a change in water taste, then don't change it. The
properties of activated charcoal do limit its effective life. Normally it
holds up well for a year. The manufacturer is being conservative with 6
months. Higher use can, of course, shorten its effective life.

The manufacturer is probably using an elapsed time circuit because it's
cheaper. Ideally, they would use a volume meter to determine how many
gallons of water has been used. There is an optimal maximum of gallons
where the filter will be effective. A volume meter/circuit would
definitely cost more.

It's the same deal with the Brita water pitchers. There is a resettable
timer on the lid that cycles after 1 month to indicate when to change the
filter. Usage is based on an "average" volume of water. There is,
however, a notation in the instructions stating how many pitcher refills
one should be able to use before changing the filter.

Do what you want, but it is not a scam. I bet there is a similar
statement in the refrigerator operating instructions, if you bothered to
read them.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

User Example

[...]

WRONG! After a while the filter builds up contaminants. All that bad
stuff that you are getting rid of in the water ends up stuck in the
filter and all the water you drink is then being filtered not only by
the filter, but all those contaminants. They can also start to be a
nice bacteria / scum pool after awhile. But, if you want to drink
through a used sweat sock because you are too cheap to replace the
filter now and then then go ahead.
Amun

wrote:

[...]

Okay, that was what I thought I read the first time.

And as you point out, if the filter "media" isn't dirty there is no reason
why having it in there or not will make any difference.
If there is nothing to "filter out" a filter can last indefinitely.

Having the warning light on a "door open cycle', or even a "days in use" is
just plain dumb, other than from a "let's sell needless parts" design by the
manufacturers.

But they can offer it as a selling feature too.
The item with the most blinking lights, gets sold first.
Or even a fridge with a filter built in may sell better than one that
doesn't have any filter.
Even to those who have clean water to begin with.

But lets also take into consideration the "idiot consumer" factor.
If a light NEVER came on, and the filter was plugged solid, some idiot would
be ripping the manufacturer apart for selling a filter that they don't know
when to change.
Of course using a simple flow metering valve would be best, but might cost
an extra ten cents per unit to manufacture.

And then there are the ones who need the filter only for it's charcoal
taste/odor component (if it has it)
eg, those who take one glass of water every three years, and then complain
it tastes or smells like plastic after sitting in the lines.
When a simpler fix would be to use it once in a while to keep the water
fresh.

As I stated earlier these "warnings" built in to products now are getting
common.

Cars are loaded with them.
(do you really need a light to come on to tell you the gas is getting low ,
right beside the needle that points to "E" ?)
similar lights come on to let you know it's time to check brakes, tune ups,
oil changes whether they really need service or not etc.

And even computer printers tell you to replace ink, often when there is
plenty left.

Even flashlight batteries have little testers built on that often lie as to
the capacity left

AMUN

nospambob

Our softener works for hard water and I put an in-line filter above
the fridge that has a filter as well. Owners manual says it will work
with filter removed. Light hasn't lit for the 5 years we've had it.
In-line gets annual changing.

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:17:33 -0400, harold balls
wrote:

[...]

harold balls

wrote:

[...]

Wayne, not to be argumentive but from this website:
http://www.fridgefilters.com/whirlpo...s-4396508.html
Whirlpool 4396508 Filter Life

The Whirlpool 4396508 Filter should be replaced:

Every 6 months or
When the filter change indicator light comes on or
If the refrigerator has not been used for more than two weeks (for
instance, during a move) or
If you notice a decrease in the flow of water or objectionable tastes
in the water or ice.

The above statement seems to indicate that the above filter can get
plugged up to the point of effecting water flow. This would probably
go along with noticing a bad taste.
The view i'm leaning to is that unless you see a reduction in flow
rate or notice a change in taste, there is no need to replace the
filter. Money is not an issue. If User wants to replace his filter
whenever that little light tells him its time to do so, more power to
him. It will keep the economy moving. Good day

fuzznuts

Edwin Pawlowski

"harold balls" wrote in message

The above statement seems to indicate that the above filter can get
plugged up to the point of effecting water flow. This would probably
go along with noticing a bad taste.
The view i'm leaning to is that unless you see a reduction in flow
rate or notice a change in taste, there is no need to replace the
filter. Money is not an issue.

There is also the possibility of bacteria buildup. If money is not an issue,
why play with a potential health issue? There are many variables depending
on your water, but I'd rather play it on the safe side. Do as you think is
right for your family.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

harold balls

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:18:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"harold balls" wrote in message

The above statement seems to indicate that the above filter can get
plugged up to the point of effecting water flow. This would probably
go along with noticing a bad taste.
The view i'm leaning to is that unless you see a reduction in flow
rate or notice a change in taste, there is no need to replace the
filter. Money is not an issue.

There is also the possibility of bacteria buildup. If money is not an issue,
why play with a potential health issue? There are many variables depending
on your water, but I'd rather play it on the safe side. Do as you think is
right for your family.

Looking at this quote from a website, i'm starting to think wayne &
user are right.
http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/Solutions.html

Activated carbon filter cartridges will, over time, become less
effective at reducing contaminants as the pores clog with particles
(slowing water flow) and the adsorptive surfaces in the pores become
filled with contaminants (typically not affecting flow rate). There is
often no noticeable indication that a carbon filter is no longer
removing contaminants, so it is important to replace the cartridge
according to the manufacturer's instructions. The overall water
quality (turbidity or presence of other contaminants) also affects the
capacity of activated carbon to adsorb a specific contaminant.

By this above statement this guy is saying that an AC filter can lose
all of its filtration properties and still not clog up or show loss of
flow. You would think that if this were the case you would tell by a
difference in taste. Bacteria is another issue and one to be concerned
about.
When I started this thread, I should of worded the subject different,
and not used the word "scam". I thought this was just another
manufacturers recommendation to do something at a certain time thats
not really neccessary. Alot of them do it . My water Filter status
light has three settings. Good, order and replace. All they are using
to determine this a timer chip. When the replace light comes on they
are inferring that the filter is "bad" which is probably not the case.
Somewhat misleading but probably not a scam. As one responder noted,
some people need these kind of guidance. Good day

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

LOL! I hear you. Actually, I don't disagree with you at all. I was only
pointing out the premise of their recommendation. Let's just say that the
indicator light is for "dummies" and it's probably best that people who
don't have a clue follow the prescribed recommendation. For those who can
perceive the difference in flow and/or taste, then that is probably the
best guide.

As to the "two week" recommendation, that is as much for health reasons and
CYA as anything else. When the filter doesn't have a frequent flow, in
certain environments it is possible for bacteria or other organic
contaminants to multiply.

Back in the late 1960s, the Heater Division of Eaton Corp. developed one of
the first activated charcoal water filters for residential contertop use.
The activiated charcoal cartridge in this filter was significantly larger
than any of those currently installed in refrigerators. Their general
recommendation in their literature was to change the cartridge annually.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

harold balls

wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Once more thanks for your input Wayne. It is an interesting
discussion. I guess sometimes things are not black and white.
Have a nice day
User Example

Whirpool has developed a new fridge that only tells you when the filter
really needs to be replaced. It has a differential pressure guage and
does random sampling to make sure the purity level is within spec. When
it detects something odd in the water, it uses a built in internet
connection to connect with the Whirlpool testing and engineering
department for further analyis and, if the levels are bad, they will
give you a personal phone call to explain it to you and let you know you
need a new filter and where to buy one. This additional stuff makes the
refrigerator cost about $2000 more than the other ones. But for you
people who don't think the 6 month timer is good enough and ends up
wasting filters, maybe this new fridge is for you. Perhaps in about 60
years it would pay for itself in filter savings.

wrote:

[...]

harold balls

news:g22hi19f7ds8mg0ut4g2279m5btc16l4rf@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

Hey User,

Do you have a link to this new fridge that whirlpool
has developed? The most expensive one their website list
(retail $2795), still has the 6-month filter in the base with the
indicator light. I would like to read about this. Thanks!

Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 01:42 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 03:01 AM
A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water Peter Martin Home Repair 51 July 27th 03 08:14 PM