Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:42:33 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Well, I'm here.

If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe
cheaper than anything sold in the US) and 10" below the radio in a
separate cove just in front of the gear shift, there is a small hole
marked AUX and a USB style jack marked USB, what are the odds the AUX
will be an input to the radio?

What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.

The radio here is not my taste, and I refuse to spend the money for
Serious radio since I'm a light-hearted guy, but I would record off
the comptuer to a flashdrive, or use the phone to output to the radio,
if either were possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 8:52 AM, Micky wrote:

If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe
cheaper than anything sold in the US) and 10" below the radio in a
separate cove just in front of the gear shift, there is a small hole
marked AUX and a USB style jack marked USB, what are the odds the AUX
will be an input to the radio?

What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.

The radio here is not my taste, and I refuse to spend the money for
Serious radio since I'm a light-hearted guy, but I would record off
the comptuer to a flashdrive, or use the phone to output to the radio,
if either were possible.

The USB in my car takes a flash drive for music. Very common these
days, as is plugging in a phone or iPod.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:52:30 +0200, Micky
wrote:

If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe

What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using
a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time,
the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number
of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB
activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the
key is turned on.

If your radio has a selection for "media," that is what you want. Mine
allows for selection of songs by singer, album, genre, etc. (based on
MP3 tags), or play all in order or randomly.

-dan z-

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

_One huge mistake people make when renting cars _

"If you ever rent a car, make sure you don't make this mistake! It
could even happen to you if you are selling your car."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dLxYnIBr0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/16/2017 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Well, FWIW, I have not been creating anymore political posts, but if I
see one already started I often add some useless comments.

I was going to post a Home Repair question but thought it too trivial,
but perhaps it's better than posting political garbage.

I have seen that GE now has a silicon adhesive called Iron Grip that
they claim is better than just using their silicon sealer.

I've never had a problem with "RTV" when used as an adhesive
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:32:04 -0500
philo wrote:

I often add some useless comments.

no ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack

On 3/16/2017 5:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Yes, it appears my job here is nearly done.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Art,

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage.

I can relate. After years of reading usenet groups, all that seems to be
left are political and religious arguments and name calling.

I can't remember the last time there were more than one or two serious
discussions related to home repair in this group.

Several other groups I watch have been in similar decline.

It's sad, usenet was a convenient way to discuss a variety of topics
without having to visit individual web forums. It takes too much time and
hassle to visit and log in to each forum, so I tend not to visit most of
the ones that do interest me.

It was good while it lasted...

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 07:43:42 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 3/16/2017 5:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Yes, it appears my job here is nearly done.
LOL

You're not dead yet assface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 9:46 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Art,

[...]

Many interesting topics still are discussed here. At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Art,

[...]

I think this has been mentioned before, but why can't we create an
alt.home.repair.moderated? All the moderators would need to do is
allow any post that is even remotely on topic. Those who post
political garbage or name calling would not be permitted. And my
favorite - those who post links to news stories without even
commenting (as though the rest of us are too stupid to watch the news)
would also be blocked.

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

"interesting topic" "interesting home repair topic"

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

--
Maggie

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.
But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup. When someone
new looks at this and sees 50 totally OT political threads and
only one home repair one, they just move on. AHR is slowly dying
and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Art,

[...]

I'd be in favor of it. Does anyone here have experience in how to
go about doing it? We either stop having this massive abuse with
one OT post after another or AHR is finished.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Someone else said that this group was like people meeting up at the
hardware store. At first they talk about the project they're working
on, and then they start talking about other things that are on their
minds. They're still at the hardware store and surrounded by a number
of hardware store type topics, but they're also human and may want to
talk about something else "interesting to them" while they're in the
hardware store.

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup.

If I turn off my filters, the group is so plummeted with spam and
undesirable posts I would probably just mark everything "read", but with
the filters on I see the trees instead of the forest.

Why do people talk about 'death of a newsgroup' when we still have
hundreds of posts here where people are participating because they WANT
to, and that doesn't even count all the filtered out posts I block that
other people still read and respond to?

When someone
new looks at this and sees 50 totally OT political threads and
only one home repair one, they just move on.

The last week all I've seen are people talking about their projects with
one or two side political posts, but that's because I FILTER out the
stuff I'm not interested in.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read
them, either block them, or ignore them.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe

I didn't mean to start the sentence with "If". I really did rent one.
It's not a secret.

What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using
a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time,
the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number
of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB
activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the
key is turned on.

That sounds great.

What gave me doubts is that the jack is 10 inches away instead of on
the face of the radio, like I've seen twice before.

If your radio has a selection for "media," that is what you want. Mine

It has a media button. I tried it and nothing was there. I guess
that's my fault.

Maybe I can find something to record tonight. On my last trip, I
recorded not call-in talk, but semi-expert-talk about politics and the
nation, like the Diane Rehm show, but I don't enjoy hearing about that
anymore. Maybe I can find the audio version of the History Channel.
Last time, I only used an MP3 player. The car will be much easier and
better.

allows for selection of songs by singer, album, genre, etc. (based on
MP3 tags), or play all in order or randomly.

-dan z-

Thanks Dan and Ed. Oren, I have to wait on the video a bit. My
Firefox is frozen but this is the first time in 6 days so for me
that's pretty good. Soon it will crash and then things will be good
again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:32:04 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/16/2017 07:42 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Well, FWIW, I have not been creating anymore political posts, but if I
see one already started I often add some useless comments.

I was going to post a Home Repair question but thought it too trivial,
but perhaps it's better than posting political garbage.

I have seen that GE now has a silicon adhesive called Iron Grip that
they claim is better than just using their silicon sealer.

I've never had a problem with "RTV" when used as an adhesive

No that's good to know. I took silicone sealers as mostly space
fillers with some adhesion. I don't remember every needing great
adhesion, but now t hat there's a product, I'm sure I'll need it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Except of course, as Art pointed out, that isn't what's happening anymore.
The overwhelming number of new threads are totally off topic, mostly
from a couple of Trumpets. It's 25 or 50 to one.

They're still at the hardware store and surrounded by a number
of hardware store type topics, but they're also human and may want to
talk about something else "interesting to them" while they're in the
hardware store.

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup.

If I turn off my filters, the group is so plummeted with spam and
undesirable posts I would probably just mark everything "read", but with
the filters on I see the trees instead of the forest.

And what do you think a new poster, someone looking for help
regarding to home repair sees? They don't have your filters,
they see a bunch of garbage and move on, forget about posting.

Why do people talk about 'death of a newsgroup' when we still have
hundreds of posts here where people are participating because they WANT
to, and that doesn't even count all the filtered out posts I block that
other people still read and respond to?

Why is it that if someone said oceans cover most of the earth's
surface or the moon orbits the earth, you'd start an argument
disagreeing?

When someone
new looks at this and sees 50 totally OT political threads and
only one home repair one, they just move on.

The last week all I've seen are people talking about their projects with
one or two side political posts, but that's because I FILTER out the
stuff I'm not interested in.

And what does someone new who shows up see? Follow it to it's
logical conclusion. You have a dwindling number.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing
into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read
them, either block them, or ignore them.

--
Maggie

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone
else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 11:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

Not really. It is supposed to be "home repair" not a lot of political
crap. Yes, I'm guilty of replying to some of it too, but it is no longer
a small aside, it has overwhelmed the main topic this group was founded
for. That is not fine.

But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup.

If I turn off my filters, the group is so plummeted with spam and
undesirable posts I would probably just mark everything "read", but with
the filters on I see the trees instead of the forest.

Why do people talk about 'death of a newsgroup' when we still have
hundreds of posts here where people are participating because they WANT
to, and that doesn't even count all the filtered out posts I block that
other people still read and respond to?

Many of the participants are cross posting from other groups. Let them
stay in those groups as they are designated for politics.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

The number or ON topic posts is dwindling. Take way the crap and there
are fewer topic related postings than ever, especially since a few
people invaded here. Many of the best contributors have gone away in the
past year.

and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read
them, either block them, or ignore them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:10:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Jerk is such a mild word for them. They are sociopaths. Mentally
unbalanced and immoral at the same time. One has been posting crap
for more than 10 years. They may have a job to pay there bills but
probably no friends, and cerrtainly no one they know will they tell
how they spend their time, making life unpleasant for people who have
never harmed them.

They're sickos and every time they post it's another statement to
others and themselves: I'm sick, I'm screwed up. I'm selfish. I do
nothing constructive, not because I couldn't but because I'm satisfied
being a sicko. I'm an unrepentant sinner, who survives on the hope
there will be no punishment after I die.

They may not be sexual perverts (although they may be that too) but
they are still perverts. And when they die, the world will be a
better place.

OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:15:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Art,

[...]

I'm in favor of it too.

I think I know someone with experience, though I'm out of town for a
while and I took some stuff with me but not everything.

Plus there is a newsgroup (partially?) devoted to helping people do
this. Maybe google can find it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 10:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2017 11:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type
postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

Not really. It is supposed to be "home repair" not a lot of political
crap. Yes, I'm guilty of replying to some of it too, but it is no longer
a small aside, it has overwhelmed the main topic this group was founded
for. That is not fine.

There's nothing we can do about spam, OT, or even political posts. It
doesn't really change what other people do when we complain that they're
doing something we don't like. It might even make them do it more
because they get negative attention.

We CAN block the posts we don't want to see. I just block stuff as it
shows up if it's something I don't want to read, like threads with foul
language in the thread title, or usernames who are notorious spammers.
That cuts out a lot of gunk.

But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup.

If I turn off my filters, the group is so plummeted with spam and
undesirable posts I would probably just mark everything "read", but with
the filters on I see the trees instead of the forest.

Why do people talk about 'death of a newsgroup' when we still have
hundreds of posts here where people are participating because they WANT
to, and that doesn't even count all the filtered out posts I block that
other people still read and respond to?

Many of the participants are cross posting from other groups. Let them
stay in those groups as they are designated for politics.

I block cross-posts - never see them. Thunderbird does a good job of
that. If you want to block cross-posts, I can tell you how I do it in
Tbird.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

The number or ON topic posts is dwindling. Take way the crap and there
are fewer topic related postings than ever, especially since a few
people invaded here. Many of the best contributors have gone away in the
past year.

I think many of them read and still post here, occasionally. People
change. Some come and go, and some stay a while. The group if fluid.
Block what you don't want to see, and you'll be more inspired to post
more about what you do want to see.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage. I even re-read an old thread, just to
make my brain somewhat happy.

Well, I'm here.

If I rented a new or nearly new small cheap Kia (a Picanto, maybe
cheaper than anything sold in the US) and 10" below the radio in a
separate cove just in front of the gear shift, there is a small hole
marked AUX and a USB style jack marked USB, what are the odds the AUX
will be an input to the radio?

What are the odds the USB will be an input to the radio.

Excellent odds, as that is what it is provided for. But you don't even
need your phone. Just download to a USB stick, and plug it into the
USB port. It is an MP3 player.

The radio here is not my taste, and I refuse to spend the money for
Serious radio since I'm a light-hearted guy, but I would record off
the comptuer to a flashdrive, or use the phone to output to the radio,
if either were possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

"interesting topic" "interesting home repair topic"

Someone else said that this group was like people meeting up at the
hardware store. At first they talk about the project they're working
on, and then they start talking about other things that are on their
minds.

Except of course, as Art pointed out, that isn't what's happening anymore.
The overwhelming number of new threads are totally off topic, mostly
from a couple of Trumpets. It's 25 or 50 to one.

Always blame someone else if you're not happy about something, right?
NEVER, EVER go to the trouble of being a leader instead of a follower
and do something about what you're unhappy about! geez.

I didn't want to see cross-posts or spammers, so instead of complaining
about those posts showing up here, I decided to use my built-in tbird
filter and block everything I didn't want to see!

OH MY FREAKING GOSH!! I'm not an unhappy camper any more seeing stuff I
don't want to see!

It doesn't take an IT degree to figure out and use a tbird filter.
That's what it's there for.

YOU can't control what OTHER people do, BUT you CAN control what you do,
so get off of your fingers, download thunderbird, set up a server and
newsgroups, figure out how to use the filters, and stop using google
groups if you don't like to see OT posts here.

And BTW, you could stop contributing to the threads that are OT while
you're at it.

good grief, already ......

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The last week all I've seen are people talking about their projects with
one or two side political posts, but that's because I FILTER out the
stuff I'm not interested in.

And what does someone new who shows up see? Follow it to it's
logical conclusion. You have a dwindling number.

WAAAAAAAA! If they're scared away by stuff they don't like, then they
shouldn't be venturing out into the real world.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing
into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

egads ... if Trumpets scare you so much, you should go hide in your safe
place and suck your thumb.

and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read
them, either block them, or ignore them.

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone
else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.

I raised my kids already, so if you want to be coddled find someone who
needs to mommy you.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:45:33 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

"interesting topic" "interesting home repair topic"

Someone else said that this group was like people meeting up at the
hardware store. At first they talk about the project they're working
on, and then they start talking about other things that are on their
minds.

Except of course, as Art pointed out, that isn't what's happening anymore.
The overwhelming number of new threads are totally off topic, mostly
from a couple of Trumpets. It's 25 or 50 to one.

Always blame someone else if you're not happy about something, right?

Just stating the most obvious facts. Do you deny that the overwhelming
number of new threads, the core of the pollution problem, is in fact
a couple of Trump whackos starting one new political, usually Trump
centered, post after another?

And then of course we have you, who will argue obvious facts that the
rest of us see and know to be true, just to have something to argue
about. Like that BS you started about "lying". Everyone else here
was on the same page, that you were full of ****, just arguing to argue,
as usual.

NEVER, EVER go to the trouble of being a leader instead of a follower
and do something about what you're unhappy about! geez.

What do you suggest we do about it? How can I save AHR?

I didn't want to see cross-posts or spammers, so instead of complaining
about those posts showing up here, I decided to use my built-in tbird
filter and block everything I didn't want to see!

As I and others have explained to you, that doesn't fix the problem
of the newsgroup dying. People who are not regulars here don't have
filters. They have a question about home repair, see 50 threads about
politics, and move on. It doesn't take much in the way of connected
brain cells to see how the group then slowly dies. And it's not just
AHR, most newsgroups are dying, many of them aided by whacko trolls.

OH MY FREAKING GOSH!! I'm not an unhappy camper any more seeing stuff I
don't want to see!

It doesn't take an IT degree to figure out and use a tbird filter.
That's what it's there for.

YOU can't control what OTHER people do, BUT you CAN control what you do,
so get off of your fingers, download thunderbird, set up a server and
newsgroups, figure out how to use the filters, and stop using google
groups if you don't like to see OT posts here.

And BTW, you could stop contributing to the threads that are OT while
you're at it.

good grief, already ......

--
Maggie

The village idiot rides again! You're one of the newcomers who has
only made things worse. Some of these trolls appear to have followed
you here, they arrived at the same time. And you have a real penchant
to argue over the most basic facts, like above, where you want to argue
the obvious, that it's a couple of Trump trolls creating all these
totally OT, political threads.
And for all your bitching and pontificating, I rarely see you contributing
to a real home repair question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using
a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time,
the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number
of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB
activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the
key is turned on.

That sounds great.
What gave me doubts is that the jack is 10 inches away instead of on
the face of the radio, like I've seen twice before.

I'm betting on usb charging only.
My Kia has it near the cig-lighter charging sockets,
not near the radio.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 11:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing
into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

....and you obviously have no problem contributing to that cesspool with
your whining tripe.

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone
else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.

But you also love to bitch in opposition to Trump supporters.

Hypocrisy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:49:02 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:38:58 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The last week all I've seen are people talking about their projects with
one or two side political posts, but that's because I FILTER out the
stuff I'm not interested in.

And what does someone new who shows up see? Follow it to it's
logical conclusion. You have a dwindling number.

WAAAAAAAA! If they're scared away by stuff they don't like, then they
shouldn't be venturing out into the real world.

You really are the ****ing village idiot. It's not an issue of being
scared away, it's an issue of figuring that a forum that is full of
political posts, with home repair threads hard to even find anymore, probably isn't a place worth trying to get an answer
to a home repair question. If you went into a paint store and instead
of it being full of paint, you found it full of kid's toys and movies
and mens clothes, would you stay, root through all that, to maybe find
the can of paint you need.

AHR is slowly dying

No it isn't. It may be changing, but it isn't dying.

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing
into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

egads ... if Trumpets scare you so much, you should go hide in your safe
place and suck your thumb.

Again, everyone here can see why it's idiots like you that are indeed
part of the problem. It's not an issue of Trumpets scaring anyone.
It's an issue of them making hundreds of OT political posts, creating
massive pollution. It's there intent to destroy a newsgroup.

and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.

There's nothing wrong with OT threads here. If you don't want to read
them, either block them, or ignore them.

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone
else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.

I raised my kids already, so if you want to be coddled find someone who
needs to mommy you.

--
Maggie

Go **** yourself. How's that? I see some of your followers here
say that you wound up in the hospital over antics in other newsgroups.
Hopefully it was a mental hospital. Your reputation follows you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 1:04:01 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 3/16/2017 11:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, there you have it. It's not dying, it's just changing
into a cesspool for Trumpet posts.

...and you obviously have no problem contributing to that cesspool with
your whining tripe.

Again, you just love to bitch, post the opposite of what everyone
else here, except the trolls of course, sees happening.

But you also love to bitch in opposition to Trump supporters.

Hypocrisy.

No, it's not hypocrisy, because I'm not STARTING these 25 political,
pro-Trump threads everyday. If there were 10 AHR threads and a couple
of OT political ones, no matter how many posts in those couple of
political threads, when you come to AHR, it would look like a
legitimate home repair newsgroup. When you have 25 or 50 political
threads any new person would take one look, conclude it's not about
homer repair, and move on. Open your eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2016 KIA Sorento takes thumb drives formatted in FAT32. I am using
a 128g drive with over 7000 mp3's on it. When inserted the first time,
the radio reads it in, which takes several minutes depending on number
of songs. After that, as soon as I open the car door I see the USB
activity light come on, and the music is ready to play as soon as the
key is turned on.

That sounds great.
What gave me doubts is that the jack is 10 inches away instead of on
the face of the radio, like I've seen twice before.

I'm betting on usb charging only.
My Kia has it near the cig-lighter charging sockets,
not near the radio.
John T.

DOH ! .. good thing that I'm not a betting man.
I just checked my owners manual and apparently the usb socket
is indeed an audio input - it's beside the aux audio input jack -
that I never noticed ..
The manual warns to have the usb device removed
when starting the car - not sure how serious a risk it is
or just ass-covering.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:36:10 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 10:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2017 11:38 AM, Muggles wrote:

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type
postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.

It's not just OK - it works just fine.

Not really. It is supposed to be "home repair" not a lot of political
crap. Yes, I'm guilty of replying to some of it too, but it is no longer
a small aside, it has overwhelmed the main topic this group was founded
for. That is not fine.

There's nothing we can do about spam, OT, or even political posts.

Again the village idiot doesn't understand the difference between
being able to do something about something and whether that something
is OK, alright, decent, etc.

And as further proof that you're just another scumbag troll, just a
few minutes ago you complained to me that I should do something about
these posts, be a leader! Now you say that nothing can be done, proving
as I said, that you just take opposite positions to create a big ****ing
match. Like that BS thread about lying the other day.

[...]

It got much worse here the day you arrived. You brought some of these
scum bags with you. And some of them report that you've had similar
results in other newsgroups in the past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 9:58 AM, Oren wrote:

_One huge mistake people make when renting cars _

"If you ever rent a car, make sure you don't make this mistake! It
could even happen to you if you are selling your car."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dLxYnIBr0

After purchasing my new (used) car last year, the past owner left all
the phone info on the system. I was able to scan all of it, see his
contacts and other people's phone numbers. Good thing I'm honest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 1:11 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Seriously? Do you know how often I log on, click on this newsgroup and
view all the subjects starting with just a few...

Clapper said No collusion between trump campaign and Russia or
Keystone pipeline won't use US steel despite Trump pledge

or some which you do start such as....

OT: For the Trumpets who think Trump changed..... or how about
OT: King Trump, the intellectual, on healthcare.

All displaying From: Trader_4

No, you're not the main culprit, but you are an addition to the cesspool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Art Todesco:
I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage.

Three words: Quora.com
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2017 11:07 AM, Pat wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:46:55 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Art,

[...]

Two moderated groups I belong to also have a paucity of posts. Most
people today have gone over to Facebook or the twitterverse.
I say leave it open and filter if you wish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 17:44:30 +0200, Micky
wrote:

Oren, I have to wait on the video a bit. My
Firefox is frozen but this is the first time in 6 days so for me
that's pretty good. Soon it will crash and then things will be good
again.

The video is ~ one minute long. FF is headed down hill; perhaps you
can use FF menu ToolsOptions to clear the cache and cookies. One site
has been giving me fits for months with network, objects not found
errors. It may be just that site tough. Others work fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:29:10 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On 3/16/2017 9:58 AM, Oren wrote:

_One huge mistake people make when renting cars _

"If you ever rent a car, make sure you don't make this mistake! It
could even happen to you if you are selling your car."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-dLxYnIBr0

After purchasing my new (used) car last year, the past owner left all
the phone info on the system. I was able to scan all of it, see his
contacts and other people's phone numbers. Good thing I'm honest.

My bride bought a used car sometime back, finally got her a genius
phone but has not used/connected it in her SUV. Now I'm curious what
the first owner left to find. Not that it matters as she bought from
a friend in one of "hens club", ER. "man haters club" :-)