Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Oh No, the death of alt.home.repair or even Usenet!

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 10:59:48 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/16/2017 9:46 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Art,

This was a really sad morning. I have been reading alt.home.repair and
a few other groups for many years and this morning signaled the end.
There was nothing but garbage.

I can relate. After years of reading usenet groups, all that seems to be
left are political and religious arguments and name calling.

I can't remember the last time there were more than one or two serious
discussions related to home repair in this group.

Several other groups I watch have been in similar decline.

It's sad, usenet was a convenient way to discuss a variety of topics
without having to visit individual web forums. It takes too much time and
hassle to visit and log in to each forum, so I tend not to visit most of
the ones that do interest me.

It was good while it lasted...

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Many interesting topics still are discussed here.

"interesting topic" "interesting home repair topic"

At least most
newsgroup readers allow for undesirable type postings/topics/spammers to
be blocked and filtered. You can even block cross-posted threads, too,
and delete all of that stuff before it ever shows up.

--
Maggie

That's OK to a limited extent for existing people who are here.
But it doesn't prevent the death of the newsgroup. When someone
new looks at this and sees 50 totally OT political threads and
only one home repair one, they just move on. AHR is slowly dying
and it's just a few new jerks here that are starting one new
OT thread after another. It's their aim to destroy the group.