Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IP cameras

Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Meanie writes:

Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

Could you make sure to include your IP addresses,
usernames, and passwords?

Ditto

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Meanie:
Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?

Yes
What system do you have?

BlueIris + HikVision cams

Is it wired or wireless?

Wired 100%

How easy was it to set up?

Depends on your personal degree of techweeniesh-ness.
Simple for some, learning curve for others.... IP addresses,
port numbers, and so-forth

Are you able to view from phone?

Yes

Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Like:
- Configurability

- Built-in web pages (take a look at
http://extremesurfcam.dyndns.org/jpegpull.htm)

- Features - like the ability to FTP and/or email
motion alert snapshots.

Dislike:
- Care and feeding
- Definitely NOT plug-and-play.

Other Stuff:
- You want "Turret" cams like this: http://tinyurl.com/zzxqjv7, not
"Bullet" cams like this: http://tinyurl.com/j4g5zyo

Reasons:
- Spiders are attracted more to the Bullet cams' IR and their
webs need to be constantly brushed away as they interfere
with the image and create false motion detection events.

- Turret cams' adjustability and general durability are far
superior to Bullet cams'.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2017 5:38 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Could you make sure to include your IP addresses,
usernames, and passwords?

Ditto

Sure, try it out

ip: 78.284.4.84

user: admin

pass: Hax0rd3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2017 5:42 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Meanie:
[...]

When you say wired, are they actual POE cameras or wired as in "the need
for AC power"? If POE cams, to what are you connecting...a DVR then PC
with Blue Iris?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 16:44:34 -0500, Meanie wrote:

Anything to add appreciated.

Neighbor put one of these on his door bell. I was impressed of the
quality. Also sends a photo to the phone alert.

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Video-Doorbell/dp/B00N2ZDXW2

See, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your smartphone,
tablet or PC.

Get instant alerts when visitors press the button on your doorbell or
trigger motion sensors.

Watch over your home in crystal-clear HD video.

Protect your home—day or night—with infrared night vision.

Communicate with visitors via two-way audio with noise cancellation.

Set up your doorbell in minutes with the included tool kit and
installation guide.

Dual-powered: Runs off the internal battery or can be connected to
existing doorbell wiring.

Lifetime purchase protection: If your doorbell gets stolen, we’ll
replace it, for free!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2017 1:44 PM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

---

Please list your objectives.
Why do you want this?
What is it gonna cost you to monitor it remotely?
Take a look at the data rate and divide into the
numbers on your phone data plan to determine how few
minutes you could watch it.

What are you gonna do when you get an email showing
you a ski mask making off with your TV?
How are you gonna power it?
Sounds simple until you figger out that the insulation
in your attic won't let you get to the other end
of the house to power it.

You can certainly come up with good reasons for some
people to have security cameras. Watching the news and
seeing someone stealing a Xmas package off someone's
front porch is compelling. For most of us, it's
a big, expensive hassle that won't do any good.

I put up a camera to watch the front yard mostly because
I got it for $5 at a garage sale. After using it for
a year, I want my $5 bucks back and the hours I spent
setting it up. Only thing I've ever used it for is to
play back the motion capture to see if the mailman has been.

Which comes right back to your objectives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 3:44:56 PM UTC-6, Meanie wrote:
Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks
---

We've bought all the stuff we've used from Super Circuits. They're great folks and can answer your questions. I bought a lot of equipment from them when I was still working. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

https://www.supercircuits.com/

[8~{} Uncle Surveillance Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I dont know what I'd do if I had one of them, and saw a masked raccoon
on my porch, stealing that bag of potato chips that I forgot to bring in
the house after my last Bar B Que. And worse yet, if that sucker drank
my beer that I didn't finish. (Particularly if the coon is under 21).

I guess that's why I prefer the more effective security methods. My
double barrel shotgun works every time. I keep it right by my door, and
it's always loaded....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2017 11:17 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

My objectives are irrelevant. Many people either need or simply want
surveillance cams within the boundaries of their home for many reasons.
People steal packages from porches, thieves attempt robberies during the
day, animals/pets that destroy outside property, watching pets inside,
watching the nanny or babysitter, watching handicap family members at
home and many more.

Perhaps the reason for the difficult set up with your camera was due to
it being a $5 camera. For you, it was a novelty, for others, a $5 camera
doesn't suffice and will pay for a better system and easier set up
because they feel the need for it.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 04:28:00 -0600
wrote:

[...]

How do you get past the drug head that kicked in
the door without knocking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Meanie:
When you say wired, are they actual POE cameras or wired as in "the need
for AC power"? If POE cams, to what are you connecting...a DVR then PC
with Blue Iris?

POE all the way - would not advise using anything else.

Couple places I have POE switches... one place I have an el-cheapo
little thing that goes inline between the switch/router and the cam and
injects the POE.

No DVR... It's all on a PC running Blue Iris.

If somebody were going to buy a new PC for this, I would suggest going
high-end (i.e. Intel I7)... down at the shore
(http://extremesurfcam.dyndns.org/jpegpull.htm) I've got a lower-end PC.

It works but, with six cams connected, it's pretty much on it's knees
when I TeamViewer into it for maintenance.

My home 24-7 PC that I run the house yard cams on is an I7 and six cams
running 1280x720 are only taking about 30% CPU.

Tangentially: I've tried higher and lower resolutions and have settled
on 1280x720 as the best balance of speed, detail, and bandwidth.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/26/2017 07:27 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 16:44:34 -0500, Meanie wrote:

Anything to add appreciated.

Neighbor put one of these on his door bell. I was impressed of the
quality. Also sends a photo to the phone alert.

I'm suspicious of these things that REQUIRE a third party, even when
you're just a few feet away.

I have a camera at my front door. I control it.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians." -- Martin Luther
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/26/2017 10:17 PM, mike wrote:

[snip]

I put up a camera to watch the front yard mostly because
I got it for $5 at a garage sale. After using it for
a year, I want my $5 bucks back and the hours I spent
setting it up. Only thing I've ever used it for is to
play back the motion capture to see if the mailman has been.

It'd be nice to have some AI that recognizes the mailman and turns on a
special indicator. Same thing with UPS, FedEx, newspaper, and trash
pickup (and maybe recognize neighbors too).

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians." -- Martin Luther

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/26/2017 11:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

We've bought all the stuff we've used from Super Circuits. They're great folks and can answer your questions. I bought a lot of equipment from them when I was still working. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

https://www.supercircuits.com/

That's where I got my 4-camera / DVR system. It works well. However, I
do wish remote access wouldn't require MSIE (I think that's fixed in
current models).

[8~{} Uncle Surveillance Monster

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians." -- Martin Luther
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:03:07 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 01/26/2017 07:27 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 16:44:34 -0500, Meanie wrote:

Anything to add appreciated.

Neighbor put one of these on his door bell. I was impressed of the
quality. Also sends a photo to the phone alert.

I'm suspicious of these things that REQUIRE a third party, even when
you're just a few feet away.

I have a camera at my front door. I control it.

[snip]

I just looked and it does use Cloud storage. Wonder if that could be
changed to a local PC storage or DVR. I'll ask the neighbor when
comes out of his cave :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2017 10:06 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 01/26/2017 10:17 PM, mike wrote:

[snip]

I put up a camera to watch the front yard mostly because
I got it for $5 at a garage sale. After using it for
a year, I want my $5 bucks back and the hours I spent
setting it up. Only thing I've ever used it for is to
play back the motion capture to see if the mailman has been.

It'd be nice to have some AI that recognizes the mailman and turns on a
special indicator. Same thing with UPS, FedEx, newspaper, and trash
pickup (and maybe recognize neighbors too).

I'm sure it won't be too long before consumer FRS becomes common in
household electronics.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2017 8:06 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Would you walk into a food store and say, "give me food?"

Many people either need or simply want
surveillance cams within the boundaries of their home for many reasons.

Yep, and when they walk into the store and ask for help, the first
question would be, "what do you want to accomplish?"

People steal packages from porches, thieves attempt robberies during the
day, animals/pets that destroy outside property, watching pets inside,
watching the nanny or babysitter, watching handicap family members at
home and many more.

OK, make up your mind. Watching someone steal your package
from the field of view of your camera is easy.
Ability to IDENTIFY them is quite a different matter.

The primary objective of any security system is to
convince the robber to go rob someone else. That requires visibility.
If you want to identify the perp, you want stealth.

If you live on a farm, your requirements will be different
from what you'd want in a apartment on the 20th floor.

Watching your dog tear up the couch is yet another different
set of requirements.

You can't accomplish anything without deciding what you
wish to accomplish. The more specific your question, the more
likely the discussion will proceed in a direction helpful to you.

Perhaps the reason for the difficult set up with your camera was due to
it being a $5 camera.

Did I say difficult? Any camera is gonna require some way to mount it,
some way to power it and some way to get the data from it, all in a
tamper resistant location
that has access to all and views the place you want to see. A camera
inside your
living space might require much more access security than one
watching the driveway.
It's a lot more detailed than you might think.

For you, it was a novelty, for others, a $5 camera
doesn't suffice and will pay for a better system and easier set up
because they feel the need for it.

That implies they can express what they wish to accomplish,
which was my question to you. You can't determine what
suffices without an objective.

Don't be mislead by garage sale pricing.

My $5 camera is high res, POE, Pan-Tilt, excellent low light performance,
onboard storage, web enabled, motion triggered,...
Biggest problem was location. The optimal location
would have required swimming thru a huge sea of insulation in the attic.
Simply not worth the risk for something I don't really need.

If you don't know what you want, hire a security guard...but then
you'd want a camera system to watch the security guard.

It's ALL about deciding what you want to accomplish. The rest is
just $$$ and turning the crank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2017 2:58 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 01/27/2017 10:06 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 01/26/2017 10:17 PM, mike wrote:

[snip]

I put up a camera to watch the front yard mostly because
I got it for $5 at a garage sale. After using it for
a year, I want my $5 bucks back and the hours I spent
setting it up. Only thing I've ever used it for is to
play back the motion capture to see if the mailman has been.

It'd be nice to have some AI that recognizes the mailman and turns on a
special indicator.

I have one of those somewhere. Sold by radio shack decades ago.
Some kind of tilt sensor on the mailbox door with a radio link
to an inside receiver. Seemed like a good idea while at the
garage sale. Just one more useless gadget. Never bothered to install it.

Same thing with UPS, FedEx, newspaper, and trash
pickup (and maybe recognize neighbors too).

I'm sure it won't be too long before consumer FRS becomes common in
household electronics.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/17 3:44 PM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away? What
system do you have? Is it wired or wireless? How easy was it to set
up? Are you able to view from phone? Specific likes and dislikes
about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

Not what you asked about but have you given thought to game
cameras? Maybe have one as a backup if your primary system is down for
some reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

danny burstein wrote:

In Meanie writes:

Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

Could you make sure to include your IP addresses,
usernames, and passwords?

Ditto

Everybody loves IP cams:

https://volafile.io/r/9w8fu56g
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2017 04:17 PM, mike wrote:

I have one of those somewhere. Sold by radio shack decades ago.
Some kind of tilt sensor on the mailbox door with a radio link
to an inside receiver. Seemed like a good idea while at the
garage sale. Just one more useless gadget. Never bothered to install it.

I've got one of those made by GE, came with a base (receiving) unit and
the sender unit. Picked it up on clearance about 15 years ago for a
couple of bucks, and it ended up getting repurposed for a project.

The sender unit unit used a 12V battery in it which I thought was a bit
odd.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Meanie:
My objectives are irrelevant.

For somebody with a total beginner's level of sophistication, I would
think not.

Requirements like viewing width-of-view vs resolution, facial
recognition, night-vision vs day-only and so-forth help determine the
best choice of cams.

Not that I would have anything intelligent to say even given those
specifics.... but Those Who Know would be better able to advise...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per mike:
I have one of those somewhere. Sold by radio shack decades ago.
Some kind of tilt sensor on the mailbox door with a radio link
to an inside receiver. Seemed like a good idea while at the
garage sale. Just one more useless gadget. Never bothered to install it.

My #2 daughter gave us a little radio-based system: transmitter/motion
sensor sits in the mailbox; receiver lives in the house and beeps when
the mailbox is opened (motion sensed).

I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen: how on earth could a
AA battery-powered transmitter possibly get through an enclosed steel
mailbox and transmit to the inside of a house well over 100' away?

Must be totally junk, right ?

Beeeeeeg surprise: it works like a charm and the batteries last for
months on end.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

The sender unit unit used a 12V battery in it which I thought was a bit
odd.

A23? This battery has the diameter of an AAA cell and is about 2/3 as long.

Jon

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The churches erected in the name of God will ere long be tombstones to
his, memory." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2017 8:40 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Meanie:
My objectives are irrelevant.

For somebody with a total beginner's level of sophistication, I would
think not.

Requirements like viewing width-of-view vs resolution, facial
recognition, night-vision vs day-only and so-forth help determine the
best choice of cams.

Not that I would have anything intelligent to say even given those
specifics.... but Those Who Know would be better able to advise...

Your assumption is I'm a beginner with IP cams. I didn't inquire about
installation process or other technical issues. I simply wanted opinions
on systems others may be using. I can Google search till my hearts about
different systems but real input is a big asset as well.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Meanie:
Your assumption is I'm a beginner with IP cams.

Incorrect.

I realize that my post could be interpreted that way, but that was not
my assumption.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie posted for all of us...

Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Yeah, turn off the Avast ads.
Thanks

You are welcome.
---

Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-01, Tekkie® wrote:

---

This sig(nature line) is incorrect. I should NOT be able to see it!

It should be hyphen-hyphen-space. That will disappear the sig in any
replies, unlike the sig delimeter you currently have, which appears to
be hyphen-hyphen-hyphen, which leaves the sig until it is deleted by
some replyer.

nb

In Car Cameras Capitol UK diy 21 January 23rd 14 11:32 AM
Original 100% Cheap unlock Iphone 5, IPad, IPod, Digital CamerasNikon, Digital Cameras Sony, Digital Cameras Canon,, Kindle, SONY PS3, Xbox360, Wii etc Sale [email protected] Metalworking 0 June 12th 12 10:41 AM
Old cameras Gerry[_2_] Metalworking 6 January 1st 11 07:31 PM
supplier of CCTV cameras,baby monitor,car rearview cameras [email protected] UK diy 1 December 31st 08 02:36 AM
USB cameras for DIY use NoSpam UK diy 18 March 2nd 08 02:45 PM