Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default IP cameras

Per Meanie:
When you say wired, are they actual POE cameras or wired as in "the need
for AC power"? If POE cams, to what are you connecting...a DVR then PC
with Blue Iris?

POE all the way - would not advise using anything else.

Couple places I have POE switches... one place I have an el-cheapo
little thing that goes inline between the switch/router and the cam and
injects the POE.

No DVR... It's all on a PC running Blue Iris.

If somebody were going to buy a new PC for this, I would suggest going
high-end (i.e. Intel I7)... down at the shore
(http://extremesurfcam.dyndns.org/jpegpull.htm) I've got a lower-end PC.

It works but, with six cams connected, it's pretty much on it's knees
when I TeamViewer into it for maintenance.

My home 24-7 PC that I run the house yard cams on is an I7 and six cams
running 1280x720 are only taking about 30% CPU.

Tangentially: I've tried higher and lower resolutions and have settled
on 1280x720 as the best balance of speed, detail, and bandwidth.
--
Pete Cresswell