Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB cameras for DIY use

A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam brought next idea :
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they were
any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has anyone found
anything suitable?

Dave

Well, not USB, but the Aldi/Lidl type places often advertise a fairly
small camera intended for wall mounting. We bought a B&W one a couple
of years ago for about £25. It has a built in mic, circled by IR LED's
plus IR sensitive (so dark is not a problem), intended for outdoors in
a robust metal case, had a 30m long cable and plugged into a Scart
socket of a TV. It could also be set to trigger the Scart if the scene
in the camera suddenly changed - so if someone walks near it, the TV
switched from BBC to the cameras view.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:

A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

I use my camera phone. Saves messing about with moving computers etc.

--
---
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
m...

"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

There ya go cheap and cheerful.
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...
"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

There ya go cheap and cheerful.
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb

seventeen quid for shipping!!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...
"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB

ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

There ya go cheap and cheerful.
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb

seventeen quid for shipping!!

Andy

Its actually the buy it now price but if you reverse the P&P and buy it now
price the seller doesn't get hammered by the rip-off ebay payments.
Been like that for some time now or are you not aware of this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...

"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether
they were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places
- has anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not
all)have a composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop
USB ie the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a
cable.

There ya go cheap and cheerful.
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb
http://tinyurl.com/342jxb

Erm, I'm in a lot of pain and can't sleep (hence being at the keyboard at
this timew of night) but isn't that link (given twice instead of two
different ones???) to a monitor instead of a camera as the OP was on about?

Sorry if I'm being thick

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
George wrote:
"George" wrote in message
m...

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]

Mistae in posting it twice, sorry. ;-)

Take your pick of the cameras though....
http://tinyurl.com/3yb4f5
http://tinyurl.com/3cwfct
http://tinyurl.com/2z9r78

Or all in one jobby...
http://tinyurl.com/22us63

http://tinyurl.com/3yb4f5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

Yes, for use with a laptop.
For a DIY "looking down holes and under floors" application I can't see
the appeal of wireless. I think ideally the camera should be pen-shaped
so it can fit into holes or be strapped-on to a pole.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Its actually the buy it now price but if you reverse the P&P and buy it now
price the seller doesn't get hammered by the rip-off ebay payments.
Been like that for some time now or are you not aware of this?

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've heard stories where the
goods are shipped faulty, and on complaint you get your money back.

But not the shipping.

That's why I flagged it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
George wrote:

Its actually the buy it now price but if you reverse the P&P and buy it

now
price the seller doesn't get hammered by the rip-off ebay payments.
Been like that for some time now or are you not aware of this?

I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've heard stories where the
goods are shipped faulty, and on complaint you get your money back.

But not the shipping.

That's why I flagged it.

Andy

Cannot speak for the masses,but one of the wireless cam recievers I bought
off an hong congy was faulty,he emailed me a return form(RMA) and refunded
the P&P amount it cost me to send it back.
The item was changed as thats what we agreed.

However I can see your point but the rules are if the item is faulty and you
require a replacement and the seller cannot meet this demand a complete
refund of what it cost&P&P plus any return will be given.

However its up to the individual to ask questions first before buying and
also reading the sellers terms if in doubt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
George wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
A while ago there was a discussion about USB cameras and whether they
were any use for looking into dark and dingey DIY-type places - has
anyone found anything suitable?

Dave

Why usb? laptop use yes but most flat screen monitors(if not all)have a
composite input besides the normal digi input.
So a composite wireless camera also has its advantages over laptop USB

ie
the wireless camera can be more manouverable than one on a cable.

Yes, for use with a laptop.
For a DIY "looking down holes and under floors" application I can't see
the appeal of wireless. I think ideally the camera should be pen-shaped
so it can fit into holes or be strapped-on to a pole.

Dave

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be
used?

This one is small enough to go onto a pole...
http://tinyurl.com/3yb4f5
Granted it would have to have an bright led attached to it for light.
There are bullet cameras there on ebay but are wired and composite input...
http://tinyurl.com/2n7uoh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be
used?

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater
leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up
to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a
10m length.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be
used?

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater
leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up
to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a
10m length.
--

Dave

Righto so a daisy chained USB camera is better on a lead and pole to poke
around crevises and the like as opposed to a wireless Spy camera with a
battery attached to a pole with no interfering lead.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be
used?

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater
leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up
to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a
10m length.
--

Dave

Righto so a daisy chained USB camera is better on a lead and pole to poke
around crevises and the like as opposed to a wireless Spy camera with a
battery attached to a pole with no interfering lead.

:-)

I know size matters, but 5m would be enough for me. I thought there
would be loads of suitable cameras but still haven't found what I'm
looking for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 29, 12:04 am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

But isnt there a restriction on the lenght of the USB cable that can be
used?

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater
leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up
to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a
10m length.
--

Dave

Can also get usbcat5 baluns, allow to go quite lot further

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

5metres with a plain USB lead. However, you can buy 5metre USB repeater
leads (which are actually single-port hubs) that you can daisy-chain up
to a max of ~25m, iirc. I have two of them and find no problems with a
10m length.
--

Dave

Righto so a daisy chained USB camera is better on a lead and pole to poke
around crevises and the like as opposed to a wireless Spy camera with a
battery attached to a pole with no interfering lead.

If you want real remoteness, you can also go for a USB-Cat 5 -USB
setup, which is much more expensive, but gets out to ~100m.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby
saying something like:

Can also get usbcat5 baluns, allow to go quite lot further

And faster too, by about 30 mins.
--

Dave