Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old cameras

I have several boxes of old cameras that belonged to my Father. Most
appear to be 40's-50's vintage. My Father was a photographer during
WW2 and continued into the mid 50's. Almost everything is old sheet
film, 4X5 and 3X4. Graflex Press camera with Kalart viewfinder,
several flash units, sheet film holders, tripods lenses and the works.
I really have no idea if any of it has any value and don't really want
to research it because I'd first have to learn what it all is and I
just am not interested or have the time. So, the question I pose to
y'all, what do I do with all this stuff? It would kill me to put it
out for the trash because I know my father valued it. It will also
pain me to continue to keep it and having disposal of it become
another burden on my wife when I go. Don't particularly want to pack
it all up and ship it to someone, either. It may be junk when it
arrives, but hell, it may be junk now, as well. Anyhow, I need to be
thinning my possessions and this may be a good place to start. Any
suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/30/2010 12:41 PM, Gerry wrote:

Any suggestions?

Really suggest you put at least a bit of time into ebay and looking up
values. Or find (if you still can) a local camera shop. They do still
have value to some people. At the least, try to take a group shot of the
stuff, post it, and see if anyone is willing to make an offer.
Heck, try a posting on Craigslist, $250 for the lot and consider offers.
What do you have to lose, other than time spent dealing with a few
inevitable twits.

BUT... if the trashcan is the destination, I'll pay shipping and give
them to my brother. He's got half his guest room filled with his oddball
and vintage camera collection. Every now and then I find something
strange at a yard sale cheap or in the free pile, and I pick it up and
give it to him. No matter what it is, he finds space for it!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I happen to know that the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City is
looking for old photography cameras and accessories for a 2 year
exhibition. Their still display would not need working units.
They would appreciate and probably give the stuff a permanent home
and honorable mention for the donation.

If you are interested, I will get the man's name and number. I'm
sure they would be willing to pay shipping, etc.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:41:04 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

[...]

Ask at the local photography club. As a last resort, instead of
garbage, take them to a thrift shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Contact these folks:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/tphs.html

A buddy of mine is a member, and it sounds like would be able to steer
you in the best direction.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/30/2010 3:41 PM, Gerry wrote:
I have several boxes of old cameras that belonged to my Father. Most
appear to be 40's-50's vintage. My Father was a photographer during
WW2 and continued into the mid 50's. Almost everything is old sheet
film, 4X5 and 3X4. Graflex Press camera with Kalart viewfinder,
several flash units, sheet film holders, tripods lenses and the works.
I really have no idea if any of it has any value and don't really want
to research it because I'd first have to learn what it all is and I
just am not interested or have the time. So, the question I pose to
y'all, what do I do with all this stuff?

As it works out, I saw a Graflex in a show last night. A fedora hat,
trench coat, and Speed Graphic says "reporter" on stage. If you have a
professional theater you like to support, I am sure they would be
delighted to add a Speed Graphic/flash to the stock. It saves rental
fees for the theater, and the theater can make a couple of bucks
occasionally by renting it to other productions.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Gerry wrote:

[...]

There is a market in old cameras, a market that predates fleBay. One
place to start is Shutterbug magazine http://www.shutterbug.com/.

Also, local camera shows usually have a section with dealers in used
photo equipment.

I have personally dealt with KEH Camera http://www.keh.com/ with good
results

But never with this Igor http://www.igorcamera.com/.

Google for "used photographic equipment for sale" to find many more.

Joe Gwinn