Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default IP cameras

On 1/26/2017 11:17 PM, mike wrote:
On 1/26/2017 1:44 PM, Meanie wrote:
Anyone using IP cameras in their home to watch while away?
What system do you have?
Is it wired or wireless?
How easy was it to set up?
Are you able to view from phone?
Specific likes and dislikes about the system.

Anything to add appreciated.

Thanks

---

Please list your objectives.
Why do you want this?
What is it gonna cost you to monitor it remotely?
Take a look at the data rate and divide into the
numbers on your phone data plan to determine how few
minutes you could watch it.

What are you gonna do when you get an email showing
you a ski mask making off with your TV?
How are you gonna power it?
Sounds simple until you figger out that the insulation
in your attic won't let you get to the other end
of the house to power it.

You can certainly come up with good reasons for some
people to have security cameras. Watching the news and
seeing someone stealing a Xmas package off someone's
front porch is compelling. For most of us, it's
a big, expensive hassle that won't do any good.

I put up a camera to watch the front yard mostly because
I got it for $5 at a garage sale. After using it for
a year, I want my $5 bucks back and the hours I spent
setting it up. Only thing I've ever used it for is to
play back the motion capture to see if the mailman has been.

Which comes right back to your objectives.

My objectives are irrelevant. Many people either need or simply want
surveillance cams within the boundaries of their home for many reasons.
People steal packages from porches, thieves attempt robberies during the
day, animals/pets that destroy outside property, watching pets inside,
watching the nanny or babysitter, watching handicap family members at
home and many more.

Perhaps the reason for the difficult set up with your camera was due to
it being a $5 camera. For you, it was a novelty, for others, a $5 camera
doesn't suffice and will pay for a better system and easier set up
because they feel the need for it.

---