SteveB

Default Dog Crap on Front Yard

Were it me, I would just put up a Fi-Shock wire. Anyone asks, it is for the
training of MY dog, and it is on MY property. Be CERTAIN that all is on
YOUR property, and inward from the line. A run of tie wire is almost
invisible. Hook it up to a trash can, too. Male dogs love to urinate on
trash cans. It will only take once or twice, and the dog will avoid your
yard forever. End ot THAT problem.

You put the Fi-Shock away, and bring it out the next time you have a
problem. They are available on line for about $40. Don't get the whole
kit, as you can get tie wire at HD for about $3 per roll, and cut stakes out
of pvc. Spiral it around a PVC perch on the roof for pesky pigeons.

An easy solution.

Steve

SteveB

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:35:24 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard to

let
their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then you can call

the
cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a criminal

offense to
lave dog **** on someone else's property or in public.

I had a car stolen from my driveway, and I couldn't get them to come out and
take a report. I had to go to the station. I really don't believe they
will send an officer out to inspect "the 8x10 glossy pictures with the
circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one
was." The quotation is only for those old enough to remember its source,
but relevant nonetheless.

Doggie doodoo is low on the police department's priority list, and even
lower on the court's.

For anyone who does call in to their local police on such a matter, please
post what their response is. After they have quit laughing, that is.

Steve

Brian Henderson

On 4 Jan 2004 12:09:18 -0800, Banty wrote:

Really? Perhaps for a public park, but as for private property, what do you
think the role is for tresspassing laws?

The only one who can legally be accused of trespassing is the owner
and if they are standing on the public sidewalk, you can't do a damn
thing about it. The dog is not covered by the trespassing law, you
can't sue a dog.
SteveB

wrote in message
I dont have dogs ****ting in my yard, I got humans that **** and ****
on my lawn. That's much worse !!!

I agree. Training your children CAN be difficult. Especially once they
reach their teens.

Steve

wrote in message
I dont have dogs ****ting in my yard, I got humans that **** and ****
on my lawn. That's much worse !!!

I've suspected it.

Some of them dogs really seem to be large.

Butt thats the chrisitan jew cop government for you.

voodoo disease 666

Larry Bud

Brian Henderson wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:30:05 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

Do like I did and it solved the problem. Find out whose dog it is that is
****ting on your property, then scoop it up and dump it in the middle of
their driveway at night. After a while they will get tired of cleaning up
the **** in their driveway and get the message. My case is now solved!

Actually, you can get fined for doing that. It's just as illegal to
dump dog droppings in thier yard (whether or not it actually comes out
of your dog or not) as it is for them to have their dog deposit it in
yours.

Perhaps you can technically get fined, but who's going to complain,
the original offender?

"Officer, I let my dog **** on this guy's lawn, and he put it on my
property!"
Larry Bud

"SteveB" wrote in message news:eH_Jb.50539$BQ5.17422@fed1read03...
Were it me, I would just put up a Fi-Shock wire.

The problem is, unless this is a stray dog, it's the OWNER that needs
to be shocked, not the stupid dog.
Larry Bud

Brian Henderson wrote in message . ..
On 4 Jan 2004 12:09:18 -0800, Banty wrote:

Really? Perhaps for a public park, but as for private property, what do you
think the role is for tresspassing laws?

The only one who can legally be accused of trespassing is the owner
and if they are standing on the public sidewalk, you can't do a damn
thing about it. The dog is not covered by the trespassing law, you
can't sue a dog.

No, but if a dog bites someone, you can sue the owner. The dog under
the law is PROPERTY of the owner. They are liable for the actions of
the dog. I think there could be numerous damages argued for this:
Health issues, harassment, damage to the property.

He needs to find out who it is, and speak to them civilly, explaining
that he's tired of picked up the crap from their dog, and that if they
don't stop, he will take them to small claims court.
Banty

In article , Larry Bud says...

Brian Henderson wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:30:05 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

Do like I did and it solved the problem. Find out whose dog it is that is
****ting on your property, then scoop it up and dump it in the middle of
their driveway at night. After a while they will get tired of cleaning up
the **** in their driveway and get the message. My case is now solved!

Actually, you can get fined for doing that. It's just as illegal to
dump dog droppings in thier yard (whether or not it actually comes out
of your dog or not) as it is for them to have their dog deposit it in
yours.

Perhaps you can technically get fined, but who's going to complain,
the original offender?

"Officer, I let my dog **** on this guy's lawn, and he put it on my
property!"

Heh. First of all, it's more likely going to be "Officer, I don't know what's
going on, my dog NEEEEHVVVVVERRR **** on his property, but this nutcase is
putting dog**** on *my* property". (What - someone like that wouldn't lie??
Heh.) *If* there's property to be spoken of. Again - look at the original post
- these are dogowners from a nearby apartment house complex.

Secondly, it's not a strong situation - even if the dogowner is honest and he's
another homeowner, the *best* you can claim is that 'he did it first' - which in
the eyes of the law isn't as strong a point as it is to 5 year old squabbling
siblings and certain posters here. It is just plain two offences; two
offenders.

Not great.

Banty (this process of thinking things through to likely outcomes is just sooo
irritating, isn't it ;-)

Jim Yanik

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 03:28:14 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik
wrote:

Phisherman wrote in
news
We have a solar-powered, battery backup electric fence. An animal (or
human) will only touch it once (I did!). A stray dog touched it and
it yelped running in the opposite direction. I saw a squirrel do a
back flip once. The charger was about $100, and it has been running
for over 10 years without attention.

What happens what a child touches your electric fence?
Answer;lawsuit.
Such fences are illegal in many urban areas.

Tell me you're from California.

Nope,originally from Buffalo,now live in Orlando.
Having such an electric fence (urban area,not a farm)is a lawsuit waiting
to happen in today's litigious society.
It could also be hazardous to person with heart problems.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

Banty wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
says...

Banty wrote in
:

In article , RB says...

Does he kick sand in your face at the beach too? Charles Atlas made
a business from people who were afraid to take action.

These sorts of answers amaze me. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that
the apartment dwellers with dogs may see themselves as Charles
Atlases as well? Wouldn't said person with dog just as likely also
have an ethos that ain't nobody pushes him around neither??!? And,
compared to a homeowner, have less at stake to boot?

I take it that some folks here just feel good posting this stuff,
some kinda catharsis. But I suspect the OP has too wide a view of
the situation, and too much mental capacity to think through to
consequences to give this stuff much mind. Thankfully.

Banty

First,there are laws against assaulting a person,and ones against
cruelty to animals.Then,it's also legitimate self-defense on the dog
owners' part;you might not survive the assault.
It's also not very smart to attack a dog owner while his dog is within
reach.

Well, yeah. And not only that - it just doesn't move things toward
the desired solution (especially when you have a diffuse bunch of
apartment dwellers to deal with). The mousy dog handler who backs off
when the homeowner puffs up his chest may well make *that* lawn the
*preferred* doggie-do locale from then on whenever he notices that the
homeowner's car isn't in the driveway. (And question him about it -
believe me it'll nevvvvver nevvver be hiiim - it surely must be some
ooooother apartment dweller...)

That's where a video camera or one of those security cameras and your VCR
come in handy(camcorders have zoom lens).I had problems at work with
valuable items missing,and suspected the cleaning crew,but the office
manager would not believe me,nor take action.(proof of the 'Peter
Principle)
So,I hooked up a tiny 'spy' camera to a VCR,and taped my work area every
night.It only took a couple of weeks to find a couple of the cleaning guys
going through my bench drawers,and showing the video to the manager was
priceless! (my favorite part!)
The entire crew got fired that evening,end of problem.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

Banty wrote in
:

In article , Brian
Henderson says...

t wrote:

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard
to let their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then
you can call the cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually
it's a criminal offense to lave dog **** on someone else's property
or in public.

It isn't illegal at all. What is illegal is failing to clean up after
the dog. Dog owners can have their dogs **** all over your lawn all
they want, so long as they pick it up afterwards.

Really? Perhaps for a public park, but as for private property, what
do you think the role is for tresspassing laws?

Banty

It could be considered vandalism.
Throw some on someone's car,and someone sees you,and signs a police report
on it,and there you are.All that's needed is a witness or video proof.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

"SteveB" wrote in

wrote in message
I dont have dogs ****ting in my yard, I got humans that **** and ****
on my lawn. That's much worse !!!

I agree. Training your children CAN be difficult. Especially once they
reach their teens.

Steve

This is one case where that motion-sensitive sprinkler system would be
appropriate.It'd be nice if you could fill it with blue RIT dye,too.Or
purple.... B-)

(remember Private Benjamin,the CO's shower scene??)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

rb608

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
Having such an electric fence (urban area,not a farm)is a lawsuit waiting
to happen in today's litigious society.
It could also be hazardous to person with heart problems.

I have a fairly powerful unit around my pasture to dissuade my sheep from
exiting, and while I'd not classify the shock as "painful". it certainly is
a jolt that gets your attention. g It depends a great deal on the
dampness of the ground. Worst time was when I backed up into an elevated
wire & got it in the back of the neck while standing in a wet spot. Felt
like somebody hit me in the head with a 2x4. Never did *that* again g.

I can't imagine such an installation in an urban area. Jim's probably right
about impending litigation.

Joe F.

.. .

****
on my lawn. That's much worse !!!

I agree. Training your children CAN be difficult. Especially once

they
reach their teens.

Steve

This is one case where that motion-sensitive sprinkler system would be
appropriate.It'd be nice if you could fill it with blue RIT dye,too.Or
purple.... B-)

The cops come to my house all the time. I find my doors open and I
caught one breaking in last year.
I'm sure they would sue.

voodoo disease 666

(remember Private Benjamin,the CO's shower scene??)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Daniel L. Belton

Larry Bud wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote in message . ..

On 5 Jan 2004 08:08:38 -0800, (Larry Bud)
wrote:

No, but if a dog bites someone, you can sue the owner. The dog under
the law is PROPERTY of the owner. They are liable for the actions of
the dog. I think there could be numerous damages argued for this:
Health issues, harassment, damage to the property.

Yes, and as I said, the owner is legally responsible for cleaning up
after the dog and can be fined for not doing so. You still can't have
him arrested for trespassing because his *DOG* is on your property.

He needs to find out who it is, and speak to them civilly, explaining
that he's tired of picked up the crap from their dog, and that if they
don't stop, he will take them to small claims court.

In order to win in small claims, you need to demonstrate a financial
loss. Having to pick up dog crap doesn't cost you anything but time.
Now if you could show that your lawn died because of the dog waste,
you might have a case. Otherwise, all you can do is have the police
levy a fine for violating scooper laws.

Time is money, at least in my case it is. I think someone who
continues to let their dog **** on your property, when told to their
face to stop it, could constitute harassment.

Or what if the person who owns the yard is disabled and has to pay
someone to come and clean up the other person's (Dog's) mess? Then they
should be able to prove a financial loss and recoup the cost of having
their yard cleaned.

Richard J Kinch

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

If that does not work, spray the owner.

As much as I have wanted to do this myself, to do so is to commit the crime
of simple assault.

I missed reading the original posting but here is a simple trick that I read
almost 10 years ago that prevents dogs from crapping on your lawn. I don't
know if it will always work but it worked for me. Apparently, dogs will not
defacate where there is fresh water. Half fill a container that a dog
cannot drink out of, such as a sprinkle can, with fresh water and set it in
your yard.

E. Ruff

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
om...

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

If that does not work, spray the owner.

As much as I have wanted to do this myself, to do so is to commit the

crime
of simple assault.

Yeah, you'd sure have to make to look accidental. Sorry, I didn't see you
when I turned the sprinkler on.
Ed

R&D

Well, if you know who the offender is you can always put it in a bag with a
letter and leave it in their mail box. The letter goes something like...
Dear Neighbor, I noticed that you dropped this when you were walking past my
house. I know that you would not want to loose such valuable property so I
took the initiative to return it to you.

....you could go further by opening a contract with this person....you can
say, This time the service is free, next time a service charge of $100
applies. Keep a record of when they do it again, if they persist you'll
have built up a large enough claim to make it worth bringing them to small
claim court to collect.

Another cure, if the dog is roaming free and you don't know where it comes
from but it constantly craps on your lawn (and the dog is not vicious) put
the crap in a plastic lunch bag and tie it to the dogs collar. That usually
works becuase the owner has to deal with it and if they care about their dog
they will be glad that it was not something harmful instead.

Cheers...R
"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Larry Bud

says...

[...]

Jim Yanik

"R&D" wrote in
:

Well, if you know who the offender is you can always put it in a bag
with a letter and leave it in their mail box. The letter goes
something like... Dear Neighbor, I noticed that you dropped this when
you were walking past my house. I know that you would not want to
loose such valuable property so I took the initiative to return it to
you.

Federal crime once you put in in a mailbox,especially these days.
At the least,vandalism,note or not.

...you could go further by opening a contract with this person....you
can say, This time the service is free, next time a service charge of
$100 applies. Keep a record of when they do it again, if they persist
you'll have built up a large enough claim to make it worth bringing
them to small claim court to collect.

Any Contract has to be signed by the other party to be legal.
Clue;he's NOT going to sign any such thing.

Another cure, if the dog is roaming free and you don't know where it
comes from but it constantly craps on your lawn (and the dog is not
vicious) put the crap in a plastic lunch bag and tie it to the dogs
collar. That usually works becuase the owner has to deal with it and
if they care about their dog they will be glad that it was not
something harmful instead.

If you can catch the dog -without getting bit,just take it to the animal
shelter or dog pound,or call them for a pickup.
Dogs should not be running around unleashed,they might run in front of a
car,cause an accident,or bite a child(it's for the children!).
Unleashed is unloved.Many communities have leash laws,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Daniel L. Belton

Yea... and have the Feds arrest you because you put it in a US Govt.
mailbox that is to be used ONLY for US Mail.

R&D wrote:
[...]

"Banty" wrote in message

In article , Larry Bud

says...

Brian Henderson wrote in message
m...

[...]

Steve Stone

I would use a paper bag, one with a bottom that holds up well while you put
it in place, but one that decomposes shortly after

--

Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply.

Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:44:34 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton"
wrote:

Yea... and have the Feds arrest you because you put it in a US Govt.
mailbox that is to be used ONLY for US Mail.

But you could box up the deposit, attach the correct postage, and mail
it! Never get near someone's mailbox (I was a 2000 US Census
worker).
Ace

wrap it up and mail it to them instead.

R&D wrote:
[...]

"Banty" wrote in message

In article , Larry Bud

says...

[...]

Jim Yanik

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

Yea... and have the Feds arrest you because you put it in a US Govt.
mailbox that is to be used ONLY for US Mail.

But you could box up the deposit, attach the correct postage, and mail
it! Never get near someone's mailbox (I was a 2000 US Census
worker).

They'd STILL get you for sending toxic waste or something similar.
I suspect there are certain things/substances that cannot legally be sent
through the US mail.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

ZsaZsa

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

Yea... and have the Feds arrest you because you put it in a US Govt.
mailbox that is to be used ONLY for US Mail.

But you could box up the deposit, attach the correct postage, and mail
it! Never get near someone's mailbox (I was a 2000 US Census
worker).

They'd STILL get you for sending toxic waste or something similar.
I suspect there are certain things/substances that cannot legally be sent
through the US mail.

I once put a sign up in my front yard where my neighbors dog was crapping
and ripping up my seedlings. It said "This is a garden, not a doggie poop
dumping ground" or something like that. Never named names but the neighbor
got really ****ed and wouldn't talk to me. So I went by and asked her what
the problem was, and she mentioned the sign. I told her I had no idea it
was her dog and never would have expected it. She was totally embarrassed,
and not only did the doggy poop disappear from my front lawn but from all
the neighbor's lawns too.

Dick

ZsaZsa wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .

Phisherman wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

A neighbor has a neat sign. I am not certain if I can recite it exactly:

In this soil
So hard and cold
lies a little dog
who pooped in my yard

Another sign on the same property cites a city ordinance pointing out a
$250 fine for dog poop, and says "violators will be prosecuted".

Philip Lewis

Dick writes:
A neighbor has a neat sign. I am not certain if I can recite it exactly:
In this soil
So hard and cold
lies a little dog
who pooped in my yard

well, for it to scan-- "So cold and hard"

How about:

In this ground, so hard and cold
A dog's friend lies, or so I'm told.
This owner was bad, and did not scoop.
and so he paid, for his dog's poop.

(free for non-comercial use)

It's not the dogs fault... it's the owners.
Same with barking dogs, cats crapping in garden, etc.

--
be safe.
flip -- responsible pet owner (8 indoor cats)

Jim Yanik

Philip Lewis wrote in
. edu:

Dick writes:
A neighbor has a neat sign. I am not certain if I can recite it exactly:
In this soil
So hard and cold
lies a little dog
who pooped in my yard

well, for it to scan-- "So cold and hard"

How about:

In this ground, so hard and cold
A dog's friend lies, or so I'm told.
This owner was bad, and did not scoop.
and so he paid, for his dog's poop.

(free for non-comercial use)

I would laugh if the local police came and dug up your entire yard looking
for some missing person.

But it's nice poetry.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jeff Wisnia

R&D wrote:

Well, if you know who the offender is you can always put it in a bag with a
letter and leave it in their mail box.

snipped

Why not avoid the possibility of getting in trouble with the feds if you'd put
it in their mailbox?

Just deposit it unwrapped outside their front door...

i.e. return it to the owner....

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

Philip Lewis

Jim Yanik writes:
I would laugh if the local police came and dug up your entire yard looking
for some missing person.

heh... so would i... Free "tilling" -- I'd just make sure i had alot
of organic matter to throw on top first... (of course the several
thousand bulbs wouldn't like it... but then many have become rodent
food anyway...)

But it's nice poetry.

thanks, it could be better.., as it was only a quickie inspired by the
other one.

(today, i'd sub "owner" for "friend", and "schmuck" for "owner")

--
be safe.
flip