Edwin Pawlowski

Default Dog Crap on Front Yard

"Ken Hall" wrote in message

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

Spray the dog with a water hose. If that does not work, spray the owner.
Your property so you can water the lawn any time you please.

Shotgun would work better but would get you in trouble.
Ed

m Ransley

im sure your city has an ordinance for this, contact your police dept.
Tickets and fines can be wriiten. Talk to the apt bldg lanlord.

Brian Henderson

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:31:07 -0600, Ken Hall
wrote:

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Depending on where you live, there are probably laws against the dog
owners and they can be arrested and fined for not cleaning up their
dog's messes. Call the police and ask.
Ace

Do like I did and it solved the problem. Find out whose dog it is that is
****ting on your property, then scoop it up and dump it in the middle of
their driveway at night. After a while they will get tired of cleaning up
the **** in their driveway and get the message. My case is now solved!

wrote:

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Depending on where you live, there are probably laws against the dog
owners and they can be arrested and fined for not cleaning up their
dog's messes. Call the police and ask.

jim

wrote:

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Depending on where you live, there are probably laws against the dog
owners and they can be arrested and fined for not cleaning up their
dog's messes. Call the police and ask.

if you can be sitting out there when they pass with the dog and the dog
starts to bend over, just turn ont he hose and let the dog have it....
this will make the dog leary of going to the grass... get together witth
the other property owners on the street and work as a team.. they you
can fight it even better....you as a group can maybe get the city or
county to put up, curb your dog signs($$$fine)... or such and all the
neighbors work in unison with the hose bit and the people will finally
get the picture.. i tried powered pepper and such and it did not last
very long... dog just walked ablut 2 feet away from it and let his
deposits..... i then yelled out to the old lady that was walking her
dog.. hey i got to walk in that mess every morning... she said, oh, i
will take another route... she did for about on week and then back as
usual.. i then just sat on the porch and looked at her and never said a
word... she then passed and said: oh, you people, you are all alike...
i guess she was getting others complaining to her with here statement...
David Babcock

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
I don't think there's anything that can be done about this except
move, but sometimes I'm surprised by the answers on newsgroups.

Our street faces a large apartment complex. The arrangement of the
few houses on our street create only small front yards -- about 20'
deep by the width of the lots (80'?). The houses are about 25 years
old. The apartment complex was built a few (3 ?) years ago.

On the far side of the complex is a boulevard and on each end is
another complex so the only area with grass these people can reach is
our small lawns. So, our lawns have become the toilet for the *many*
tenants with dogs. They all walk the dogs down our street and stop on
the lawn for a dump. The lawns become covered with dog turds.

If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of
doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that
I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my
yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go
F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

Legal steps are always the first thing to consider, at least find out what
is and isn't on the books.
Then a simple sign mounted somewhere, asking not to let the dog mess on your
property. I realize this might seem silly given the response that you have
been getting, but it serves the purpose of notifying the offending parties.
That way if legal is the only way, you made the first step.
Blocking off access to the lawn area is an option.
I do like the response from Ace, but only as a last resort, but I might
modify it somewhat, like bag it and put it on the hood of their car.

Dave

Banty

In article , Ken Hall says...

[...]

Sucks, but this kind of thing is best approached by applying solutions that are
in your control (yeah, people should grow up, or maybe the law should do
something about it, but don't hold your breath...)

Depending on where you are, change your front lawn to a gravel lawn (if you're
in Arizona you'd know what I mean), or an ivy lawn. Alternatively, consider a
nice thick privet hedge all around your front lawn. Or a picket fence.
Something to make your front yard inaccessible or useless for the purpose of dog
pooping.

Cheers,
Banty

Kahlua53

Bagging it is bring too nice. Just dump it on their car or in front of their
door.
I would try talking to the landlord first. It would be better if you can get
everyone from down the street. Ask if he can tell the people with dogs if they
can't clean up after their pets or they will be asked to remove the pets or
leave. He can do something, unless he's a dumb ass also.
This is really too bad. Some people are just jerks.
My parents pick up after their dog.
I had a guy next door that let his cat **** in my yard. I said something to him
and he gave me **** back. I tried to be nice about it, so the last thing I said
was is if I catch your cat in my yard I will tie a brick to it and toss it in
the lake.
That took care of the problem...
Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks
Jim Thompson

On 2 Jan 2004 12:22:51 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article , Ken Hall says...

[snip]

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

Sucks, but this kind of thing is best approached by applying solutions that are
in your control (yeah, people should grow up, or maybe the law should do
something about it, but don't hold your breath...)

Depending on where you are, change your front lawn to a gravel lawn (if you're
in Arizona you'd know what I mean), or an ivy lawn. Alternatively, consider a
nice thick privet hedge all around your front lawn. Or a picket fence.
Something to make your front yard inaccessible or useless for the purpose of dog
pooping.

Cheers,
Banty

Years ago right here in Arizona I had a neighbor with a dog that was
fond of chasing my wife and daughter (no fences... this was 40 years
ago).

Went next door, told the neighbor, next time dog is in my yard, BANG!

Dog instantly was chained up ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Civil War

I had my kid at a park once and this guy let his dog **** right in front
of where my kid was playing.
I raised hell with the ******* and he followed me home. When I tried to
chase him off he hit me with a baseball bat.
I had him arrested and charges but he turned out to be a cop.
Appointed by Ronald Reagan.

Cops treat their dogs better than kids.

Now when dogs **** in my yard I just have to clean it up.
The cops put guns to my head and invaded my property without warrant
many times.

One more maggot got killed today. THats GREAT!!!

Death to the christian government

"David Babcock" wrote in message

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

You are full of ****.
No law is in the US

Civil War is the answer.

Then a simple sign mounted somewhere, asking not to let the dog mess

on your
property. I realize this might seem silly given the response that you

have
been getting, but it serves the purpose of notifying the offending

parties.
That way if legal is the only way, you made the first step.
Blocking off access to the lawn area is an option.
I do like the response from Ace, but only as a last resort, but I

might
modify it somewhat, like bag it and put it on the hood of their car.

Dave

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Ken Hall

says...

[...]

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable search
seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

Cheers,
Banty

wrote in message
Why people like you post stupid questions like this amazes me. The
solution is nothing anyone can do on this newsgroup. If you cant get
along with your neighbors, call the police !!!!!
Otherwise fence your yard or move .....

THe police are the ones doing it

Civil War is the Answer

One more maggot got shot today.
THats GREAT

wrote:

[...]

Des Perado

Keep some Cannon Crackers (large firecrackers that make a BIG BOOM) near
your front door. When a dog is depositing doodoo on your lawn, simply light
a couple and throw them at the the dog. Most dogs will be so scared they
will never bother your lawn again.
Whatever works! Des

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Des Perado

Yep! Those were the good old days when people handled their problems
themselves. No calling the Police, just give the perpetrator an ultimatum
and follow thru on it.
Thanks for a good post, Jim!
Des

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Banty

In article , Jim Thompson says...

[...]

So, he's gonna - what - go to the doors of each and every tenant in that
apartment complex, then sit shotgun on his front steps 24/7? In some situations
that would work (where my father lives in rural Texas, there are no leash laws,
and certain such problems often get solved quickly and anonymously with a 22,
and honestly I don't have any problem with that), but I don't think it would be
very applicable or helpful for the situation of the original poster.

The OP can try talking to the apartment manager and some of the tenants, and/or
go through the police, with my idea as a Plan B in mind - nothing to lose. As
long as he's reasonable and wise enough about it not to get worse problems from
the apartment tenants than dog ****.

But I can't get past the image in my mind of his being the nonchalant guy with a
nice privet hedge around three sides of his yard, bemusedly watching his
neighbors curse at every little brown pile.

Banty (guess I'm just hoplessly practical)

Rex B

|Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
|sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

One guy with a similar problem found that if he urinated frequently around his
property line it kep unwanted animals out of his yard. Use this technique at
your own risk

There is a new pet training product available that looks like a remote control.
Press the button and it creates a loud - but inaudible to humans - sound that is
uncomforatble for animals. I'd keep one of those at hand to press when one
starts sniffing my lawn. Maye a question of range.
But if that has promise, perhaps look into a bigger version of that? Trigger
it with a motion detector anytime someone passes by on the sidewalk? Wouldn't
bother anything but animals, but I bet your house would get crossed off the
canine list
Rex in Fort Worth
Jim Thompson

On 2 Jan 2004 14:22:32 -0800, Banty wrote:

[snip]
But I can't get past the image in my mind of his being the nonchalant guy with a
nice privet hedge around three sides of his yard, bemusedly watching his
neighbors curse at every little brown pile.

Banty (guess I'm just hoplessly practical)

Just make it a hedge with thorns ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Mat and Suzy

"Ken Hall" wrote in message

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

If it's illegal (ie find out), post a sign and put a fake (try the deterrent
approach first) camera on your front porch.

Mat

Banty

In article , Jim Thompson says...

On 2 Jan 2004 14:22:32 -0800, Banty wrote:

[snip]
But I can't get past the image in my mind of his being the nonchalant guy with a
nice privet hedge around three sides of his yard, bemusedly watching his
neighbors curse at every little brown pile.

Banty (guess I'm just hoplessly practical)

Just make it a hedge with thorns ;-)

I'd go along with that :-)

Banty

Steven Litvintchouk

Ken Hall wrote:

[...]

Every couple of weeks, put up a realistic-looking sign that says
"Pesticide Application. Harmful to Children and Pets. Keep Off The Grass"

That should not only keep the dogs away, but should also keep noisy kids
away too.

-- Steven L.

vairxpert

wrote:

If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of
doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that
I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my
yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go
F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."

They tell you to "go **** yourself" while letting their dog **** on
your lawn and you just sit there and take it? I could see if you were
a 70 year old lady, but damn...sounds like dog **** is the least of
your problems, Ken.
Maybe join a health club or see a shrink about getting some self
confindence.

make up a sign

deposits will be returned with interest

then scoop up a few and drop them at the entrance to either

the main apt door or the apt mgrs door preferably with a note
saying .....these belong to one of your tenants

bill

zxcvbob

wrote:

If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of
doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that
I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my
yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go
F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."

They tell you to "go **** yourself" while letting their dog **** on
your lawn and you just sit there and take it? I could see if you were
a 70 year old lady, but damn...sounds like dog **** is the least of
your problems, Ken.
Maybe join a health club or see a shrink about getting some self
confindence.

I think waiting until they just leave, then picking it up (still steaming)
and throwing it at the back of the dog owner's head would be nice --
perhaps while thoughtfully saying, "Here, you forgot something"

Best regards,
Bob

Rob Mills

Every time you see Fido hunkering down chunk a firecracker out the front
door, preferably a cherry bomb. Doesn't take long for Fido and owner to
catch on. RM~

Oscar_Lives

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Quit being a puss. Just grab a ball bat and beat the hell out of the
****ing dog. If the owner protests, then beat the **** out of the owner.

People nowadays are so worried about being politically correct or not
offending others. The damn dog has already offended you, so now it is time
to get your revenge. You'll be doing the owner a favor by teaching his dog
a lesson.

If you still are too much of a puss to take care of the problem like a man,
than feed the dog some sponges soaked in bacon grease. Adding some
automotive antifreeze to the dog's water will also help.

Michael Daly

On 2-Jan-2004, "Oscar_Lives" wrote:

Quit being a puss. Just grab a ball bat and beat the hell out of the
****ing dog. If the owner protests, then beat the **** out of the owner.

The dog isn't doing anything wrong - the owner is. Why take it out on the
dog?

There are motion dectector equipped water sprinklers designed for deterring
pets from trespassing. For example:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?page=33119&category=2%2C2190&ccurrency=2

A tad more humane. And legal.

Mike
Michael

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
newsurJb.45987$xX.204603@attbi_s02...

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Try a sign; make it look official. You'd be amazed how many people obey
anything
you write on a piece of cardboard.

M.

Klm

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:06:10 GMT, "David Babcock"
wrote:

Legal steps are always the first thing to consider, at least find out what
is and isn't on the books.

Backed up by video evidence.

Also why not install buried lawn sprinklers that will wet your lawn up
to the sidewalk edge. Turn them on when the dog and his master come
by.

Dan Hartung

Banty wrote:
But I can't get past the image in my mind of his being the nonchalant
guy with a nice privet hedge around three sides of his yard,
bemusedly watching his neighbors curse at every little brown pile.

Banty (guess I'm just hoplessly practical)

I'm with Banty here. This is probably the *least* likely to cause
problems with your neighbors (who as renters probably don't feel the
same responsibility to the neighborhood -- sorry to say). Dealing with
them individually or via the landlord is just going to mean a recurrence
of the problem in 2-3 years as new dog-owners move in.

That said, there are usually health-related ordinances about "dog
nuisances" and you should check your local laws. You may even get the
city to do some selective enforcement if you're lucky and the cops
aren't busy. But again, this is something that wears off over time.

The "make lemonade" answer would be to start a mail-order business
selling pooper-scoopers, and send brochures to all your neighbors.

m Ransley

Do it right, get a rifle and finish the job, no more pest, no more
problem

pbillly

If the dog is off the leash, he must be worn out taking a dump.

He probably needs some nice anti-freeze to drink.

If its more than one dog and the anti-freeze doesn't do the trick, scoop the
dog poop up and deposit on the sidewalk right in front of your trailer.
This way when the assholes who are too lazy to walk their dog take their
kids for a walk they will end up cleaning the same **** off their kids
shoes.

Just my 2 cents worth of advise.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Do it right, get a rifle and finish the job, no more pest, no more
problem

Frogleg

wrote:

I don't think there's anything that can be done about this except
move, but sometimes I'm surprised by the answers on newsgroups.

The relevant agency in my city is called "Codes and Compliance". The
police, while perhaps serving as ultimate enforcers, are probably not
over-concerned with dog poop, so I wouldn't make them the first point
of contact. Find out what the regs are, and what reporting and
enforcement procedures are appropriate.

If you are able to be present when someone is leading his/her dog
around to do this, kill 'em with kindness. Rush out with a a couple of
plastic grocery bags, explain the technique of using the bag as first
a glove and then a container, and say something about how "I *know*
you wouldn't want to inconvenience homeowners here." With only 1 or 2
offenders, you might get some mileage out of rushing out,
complimenting the dog, and saying "I have a problem you might be able
to help me with. Some people allow their dogs to go to the bathroom(!)
on my lawn and perhaps you can suggest a way to keep this from
happening." Of course, this must be done as they *approach*, not after
the deed is done.

In the face of hostility, Miss Manners might add "Such a nice dog.
It'd be a shame if something happened to him."

However, actual violence is counter-productive and can lead to serious
consequences for you.

Prevention? A fence, not a shotgun.

David Babcock

Thought of something to ad, ever see those "sports horns" they're used on
small boats too. Make a noise that would wake up the dead.
Scares me and I'm the one holding the horn.

Dave

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

indago

040102 1331 - Ken Hall wrote:

[...]

You could have a lot of fun with this one. I would go to a local Radio
Shack and find a roll of bare 22 gauge, or thereabouts, wire, and also a
roll of the same in insulated wire. String the bare wire a few inches apart
near the sidewalk in the grass, making a grid. It could be up to 6 feet of
grid from the sidwalk. Then attach the insulated wire to one end of the
wire and run into your house. Leave the other end of the bare wire open.
Inside the house you could attach a battery and a coil to the end of the
wire and ground the other end of the battery. Put a push button in the
circuit so that you can push the button several times on and off while the
dog is on the grid ****ing on your lawn, or whatever. Make sure that the
bare wire is tucked down into the grass so that it is not readily seen. The
pulses will enter the dogs feet and he will be grounded with his feet on the
grass. Some of the high voltage generated by the coil will be lost into the
grass, but this will be effective enough to make the dog realize that this
is not a good place to poop. The dog will remember this lawn thereafter and
will not go on the grass there and will resist attempts by his master to
make him go there.

Another method would be to run outside with a flash camera and take a
picture of the perps while they are in action. This would prove to be
unnerving and they should stop coming around.

Banty

In article , RB says...

Does he kick sand in your face at the beach too? Charles Atlas made a
business from people who were afraid to take action.

These sorts of answers amaze me. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the
apartment dwellers with dogs may see themselves as Charles Atlases as well?
Wouldn't said person with dog just as likely also have an ethos that ain't
nobody pushes him around neither??!? And, compared to a homeowner, have less at
stake to boot?

I take it that some folks here just feel good posting this stuff, some kinda
catharsis. But I suspect the OP has too wide a view of the situation, and too
much mental capacity to think through to consequences to give this stuff much
mind. Thankfully.

Banty

RB

Ken Hall wrote:
[...]

zxcvbob

Rob Mills wrote:

Every time you see Fido hunkering down chunk a firecracker out the front
door, preferably a cherry bomb. Doesn't take long for Fido and owner to
catch on. RM~

The dog's gotta **** someplace, and he can **** on my lawn as long as the
owner cleans it up. The problem is not the dog, it's the irresponsible owner.

Best regards,
Bob