Jon Endres, PE

Default Dog Crap on Front Yard

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
I don't think there's anything that can be done about this except
move, but sometimes I'm surprised by the answers on newsgroups.

Our street faces a large apartment complex. The arrangement of the
few houses on our street create only small front yards -- about 20'
deep by the width of the lots (80'?). The houses are about 25 years
old. The apartment complex was built a few (3 ?) years ago.

On the far side of the complex is a boulevard and on each end is
another complex so the only area with grass these people can reach is
our small lawns. So, our lawns have become the toilet for the *many*
tenants with dogs. They all walk the dogs down our street and stop on
the lawn for a dump. The lawns become covered with dog turds.

If I happen to be outside they usually pass on to a lawn a couple of
doors down. On the rare occasion when the owner ignores the fact that
I'm standing right there, I say something like "Please don't mess my
yard." Usually they either don't reply or say something like "Go
F**k yourself," or give an indifferent "OK."

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

Ken

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard to let
their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then you can call the
cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a criminal offense to
lave dog **** on someone else's property or in public.

Banty

In article , zxcvbob says...

Rob Mills wrote:

Every time you see Fido hunkering down chunk a firecracker out the front
door, preferably a cherry bomb. Doesn't take long for Fido and owner to
catch on. RM~

The dog's gotta **** someplace, and he can **** on my lawn as long as the
owner cleans it up. The problem is not the dog, it's the irresponsible owner.

Best regards,
Bob

True (although I wouldn't be happy about it even with the poop scooped).

Which leads me to wonder - in order to allow dogs, is the apartment building
landlord required to provide outside space for them? Worth checking into..

Banty

JerryMouse

b wrote:

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable
search seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

You may not legally resist an unreasonable search or seizure.

The word "privacy" does not appear in the Constitution - "private" only
occurs once, and that with regard to non-public property.

Virtually everybody who has shot a cop or tried to shoot a cop is now dead.

Phisherman

We have a solar-powered, battery backup electric fence. An animal (or
human) will only touch it once (I did!). A stray dog touched it and
it yelped running in the opposite direction. I saw a squirrel do a
back flip once. The charger was about $100, and it has been running
for over 10 years without attention.

AJScott

In article ,
"JerryMouse" wrote:

b wrote:

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable
search seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

You may not legally resist an unreasonable search or seizure.

The word "privacy" does not appear in the Constitution - "private" only
occurs once, and that with regard to non-public property.

Virtually everybody who has shot a cop or tried to shoot a cop is now dead.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't realize I stumbled into
alt.redneck-gunowners.debatetheconstitution. Silly me for thinking this
was a home repair group. I should probably be more judicious about which
door I open down the long hallway next time.

AJS
David Babcock

You people, (and I say that with reservation) are amazing, truly amazing.
All this **** is worth possible incarceration, loosing his house and home,
and most if not all of his possessions. I am so glad there are still
reasoning people somewhere in this world, and that the OP has enough
intelligence and such to ignore stupidity like this.

"Scared again eh," ???

Amazing logic.

Dave

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Well Stormin,,,Mormin. Scared again eh,
so he should stick his head in the sand and hide? Get real..

Jim Yanik

"David Babcock" wrote in

Legal steps are always the first thing to consider, at least find out
what is and isn't on the books.
Then a simple sign mounted somewhere, asking not to let the dog mess
on your property. I realize this might seem silly given the response
that you have been getting, but it serves the purpose of notifying the
offending parties. That way if legal is the only way, you made the
first step. Blocking off access to the lawn area is an option.
I do like the response from Ace, but only as a last resort, but I
might modify it somewhat, like bag it and put it on the hood of their
car.

Dave

OR deliver it to the apartment leasing office,with a photo/video of the
person and their dog making the deposit on your lawn,and a letter
requesting they address the problem.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

"David Babcock" wrote in

Thought of something to ad, ever see those "sports horns" they're used
on small boats too. Make a noise that would wake up the dead.
Scares me and I'm the one holding the horn.

Dave

There's also those ultrasonic repellers made for dogs.Some are motion-
sensitive.

(Not the 'bug repellers'.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

Phisherman wrote in
news
We have a solar-powered, battery backup electric fence. An animal (or
human) will only touch it once (I did!). A stray dog touched it and
it yelped running in the opposite direction. I saw a squirrel do a
back flip once. The charger was about $100, and it has been running
for over 10 years without attention.

What happens what a child touches your electric fence?
Answer;lawsuit.
Such fences are illegal in many urban areas.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik

indago wrote in
:

You could have a lot of fun with this one. I would go to a local
Radio Shack and find a roll of bare 22 gauge, or thereabouts, wire,
and also a roll of the same in insulated wire. String the bare wire a
few inches apart near the sidewalk in the grass, making a grid. It
could be up to 6 feet of grid from the sidwalk. Then attach the
insulated wire to one end of the wire and run into your house. Leave
the other end of the bare wire open. Inside the house you could attach
a battery and a coil to the end of the wire and ground the other end
of the battery. Put a push button in the circuit so that you can push
the button several times on and off while the dog is on the grid
****ing on your lawn, or whatever. Make sure that the bare wire is
tucked down into the grass so that it is not readily seen. The pulses
will enter the dogs feet and he will be grounded with his feet on the
grass. Some of the high voltage generated by the coil will be lost
into the grass, but this will be effective enough to make the dog
realize that this is not a good place to poop. The dog will remember
this lawn thereafter and will not go on the grass there and will
resist attempts by his master to make him go there.

Poor idea.

Another method would be to run outside with a flash camera and take a
picture of the perps while they are in action. This would prove to be
unnerving and they should stop coming around.

This actually would be legal and not a bad idea.Also good evidence for
taking legal action.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Oscar_Lives

Feed the dog some wafarin.

Shove a cattle prod up its ass and give it a few jolts.

Pain usually helps discourage unwanted behavior.

"Ken Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Yanik

Banty wrote in
:

In article , RB says...

Does he kick sand in your face at the beach too? Charles Atlas made a
business from people who were afraid to take action.

These sorts of answers amaze me. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that
the apartment dwellers with dogs may see themselves as Charles Atlases
as well? Wouldn't said person with dog just as likely also have an
ethos that ain't nobody pushes him around neither??!? And, compared
to a homeowner, have less at stake to boot?

I take it that some folks here just feel good posting this stuff, some
kinda catharsis. But I suspect the OP has too wide a view of the
situation, and too much mental capacity to think through to
consequences to give this stuff much mind. Thankfully.

Banty

First,there are laws against assaulting a person,and ones against cruelty
to animals.Then,it's also legitimate self-defense on the dog owners'
part;you might not survive the assault.
It's also not very smart to attack a dog owner while his dog is within
reach.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Jim Yanik

"Jon Endres, PE" t
wrote in t:

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard
to let their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then you
can call the cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a
criminal offense to lave dog **** on someone else's property or in
public.

IMO,it's at least vandalism.

Post a sign saying the area is being videotaped for prosecution evidence.
Then do that if people persist,and laws provide for it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
William Morris

Nice thought, but if anything, anything at all happens to the cat, you're
the first suspect. If more than one person heard you say it, then that
whole "suspect" thing is official.

"Kahlua53" wrote in message
Bagging it is bring too nice. Just dump it on their car or in front of

their
door.
I would try talking to the landlord first. It would be better if you can

get
everyone from down the street. Ask if he can tell the people with dogs if

they
can't clean up after their pets or they will be asked to remove the pets

or
leave. He can do something, unless he's a dumb ass also.
This is really too bad. Some people are just jerks.
My parents pick up after their dog.
I had a guy next door that let his cat **** in my yard. I said something

to him
and he gave me **** back. I tried to be nice about it, so the last thing I

said
was is if I catch your cat in my yard I will tie a brick to it and toss

it in
the lake.
That took care of the problem...
Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

William Morris

You're a piece of ****e, "b". Wear that message as a T-Shirt down at the
local F.O.P. and THEN I'll be impressed. You love to email it, but actually
put the courage of your conviction behind it? HA! What courage?

"b" wrote in message

More cops should be shot.

William Morris

grass. Some of the high voltage generated by the coil will be lost into
the
grass, but this will be effective enough to make the dog realize that this
is not a good place to poop. The dog will remember this lawn thereafter

and
will not go on the grass there and will resist attempts by his master to
make him go there.

Entertaining, but actionable. Prolly not a good idea.

Another method would be to run outside with a flash camera and take a
picture of the perps while they are in action. This would prove to be
unnerving and they should stop coming around.

This is one of the more interesting suggestions yet (and there's been some
real bull**** flying). I could see a perp being so unnerved by the whole
photography process - especially if you make a production of it (might be
fun having a standard talent release form handy!) - that they'd avoid the
yard of "that crazy dude down the street."

andy asberry

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:31:07 -0600, Ken Hall
wrote:

[...]

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here. When I lived in town, ten
feet of "my" lawn was city property. Of course, they "allowed" me to
maintain it but I could not exclude anyone from walking on it. I
discovered this when trying to stop the neighbor kids from cutting the
corner with their bikes. They did have a pooper scooper ordinance
though.

I would contact code enforcement first.

Failing to get relief there, I would photograph the dog in the act and
follow the dog owner home so you know who is responsible. Then hire
someone reputable such as a vet clinic employee to clean the mess one
time. This establishes what it costs to remove dog poop. Then sue the
dog owner in small claims court for the maximum amount allowed. 100
days at $50=$5000 or whatever.

Dog owner may protest his pooch only used your yard once. Your
assertion is that someone uses it daily and he is the only one you
have seen. Even if you only win the one day rate plus court costs, it
will get around that you are serious.

Brian Smither

Ken Hall wrote in
:

Anybody think of any way to stop this? Is there something one can
sprinkle or spray on the yard that will repel the dogs?

I don't have this problem as bad as described, and so I don't know how
well this will work, but I once read of a fellow who cooked up a few
pounds of bacon and bottled the grease. Just before an 'event' was aout
to happen, he heated some of the grease and then poured it over some
deposits left the day before.

No real anecdotes as to the veracity of the results but the rumor was the
dog was far more interested in discovering the grease *before* doing the
duty.

--
Remove INVALID from e-mail address.
Banty

In article , Jim Yanik says...

Banty wrote in
:

[...]

Well, yeah. And not only that - it just doesn't move things toward the desired
solution (especially when you have a diffuse bunch of apartment dwellers to deal
with). The mousy dog handler who backs off when the homeowner puffs up his
chest may well make *that* lawn the *preferred* doggie-do locale from then on
whenever he notices that the homeowner's car isn't in the driveway. (And
question him about it - believe me it'll nevvvvver nevvver be hiiim - it surely
must be some ooooother apartment dweller...)

Unless the OP is willing to sit shotgun on his front porch 24/7, the tough guy
intimidation tactics just plain aren't going to work.

Banty

Daniel L. Belton

Ken Hall wrote:

[...]

You could put up a short fence.. kinda like the picket fence style...
block the dogs from getting into your yard

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
Laws against discharge of firearms within city limits;BIG problem.
Also cruelty to animals laws.(smaller problem)

If it gets to a jury, chances are they'd be harsher on the cruelty to the
dog than the discharge of firearm. Especially if the dog is cute.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
Post a sign saying the area is being videotaped for prosecution evidence.
Then do that if people persist,and laws provide for it.

In addition. put a couple or poles in the ground as ring a simple rope
fence. Hand the no trespassing signs on it and curb your dog signs. The
people will know you are serious and will be less likely to walk their dog
on your property. Walk out there with a camera also.

You have to let them know you mean business and may be watching at any time.
Even at night. If someone walks near the line, take a photo. Does not matter
if it comes out, just the flash may be a deterrent.
Ed

rb608

"Dave" wrote in message
Where can I buy one of those solar-powered backups for my unit?
Thanks

A Google search for "electric fence chargers" or "electric fence energizers"
will get you a good selection of options. Or, if you live anywhere near a
rural area, the local farm supply stores such as Tractor Supply Company or
Southern States Cooperative should also be able to help. Actually, TSC is a
pretty cool place and is also online (www.mytscstore.com). Here's a good
solar fence energizer:
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...0&page=2&produ
ctID=522

Joe F.

Phisherman

I bought my unit either at Lowes or Home Depot (I don't recall). They
sell the plastic insulators that fit metal posts. I have also seen
them at the farmer's coop. The fence has no effect on birds because
the of the grounding. The charger clicks every second, and that's
when the high-voltage (low amp) is sent. It has an on/off switch. The
unit itself is surprisingly small for delivering such a wallop.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:54:46 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Where can I buy one of those solar-powered backups for my unit?
Thanks

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
We have a solar-powered, battery backup electric fence. An animal (or
human) will only touch it once (I did!). A stray dog touched it and
it yelped running in the opposite direction. I saw a squirrel do a
back flip once. The charger was about $100, and it has been running
for over 10 years without attention.

Phisherman

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 03:28:14 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik
wrote:

Phisherman wrote in
news
We have a solar-powered, battery backup electric fence. An animal (or
human) will only touch it once (I did!). A stray dog touched it and
it yelped running in the opposite direction. I saw a squirrel do a
back flip once. The charger was about $100, and it has been running
for over 10 years without attention.

What happens what a child touches your electric fence?
Answer;lawsuit.
Such fences are illegal in many urban areas.

Tell me you're from California.

No you are a peice of **** for supporting terrorists.

Civil War for 2004

"William Morris" wrote in message
. com...
You're a piece of ****e, "b". Wear that message as a T-Shirt down at

the
local F.O.P. and THEN I'll be impressed. You love to email it, but

actually
put the courage of your conviction behind it? HA! What courage?

"b" wrote in message

More cops should be shot.

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article ,
"JerryMouse" wrote:

b wrote:

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable
search seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

You may not legally resist an unreasonable search or seizure.

The word "privacy" does not appear in the Constitution - "private"

only
occurs once, and that with regard to non-public property.

Virtually everybody who has shot a cop or tried to shoot a cop is

now dead.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't realize I stumbled into
alt.redneck-gunowners.debatetheconstitution. Silly me for thinking

this
was a home repair group. I should probably be more judicious about

which
door I open down the long hallway next time.

Asshole civil war is home repair.

voodoo disease 666

AJS

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
b wrote:

US constitution says the right to bear arms against unreasonable
search seizure and invasion of privacy.

More cops should be shot.

You may not legally resist an unreasonable search or seizure.

The word "privacy" does not appear in the Constitution - "private"

only
occurs once, and that with regard to non-public property.

Virtually everybody who has shot a cop or tried to shoot a cop is now

dead.

Another reason why more cops should be shot.

voodoo disease 666

Trey Waters

Ken:

Don't know if you have gotten this response, but one thing you can look
into is a lawn sprinkler with a motion sensor. Usually advertised for
keeping deer and such out of gardens.

I would set one up on each corner of your lot, and give any jerks a nice
surprise!

-Trey

Friday, Ken Hall poured vast amounts of knowledge into alt.home.repair

[...]

Experience is the worst teacher.
It always gives the test first and the instruction afterward.

Brian Henderson

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:30:05 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

Do like I did and it solved the problem. Find out whose dog it is that is
****ting on your property, then scoop it up and dump it in the middle of
their driveway at night. After a while they will get tired of cleaning up
the **** in their driveway and get the message. My case is now solved!

Actually, you can get fined for doing that. It's just as illegal to
dump dog droppings in thier yard (whether or not it actually comes out
of your dog or not) as it is for them to have their dog deposit it in
yours.
Brian Henderson

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:30:03 GMT, "pbillly"
wrote:

If the dog is off the leash, he must be worn out taking a dump.

He probably needs some nice anti-freeze to drink.

If its more than one dog and the anti-freeze doesn't do the trick, scoop the
dog poop up and deposit on the sidewalk right in front of your trailer.
This way when the assholes who are too lazy to walk their dog take their
kids for a walk they will end up cleaning the same **** off their kids
shoes.

Which, of course, is illegal. There were news stories recently about
some guy who left anti-freeze out to kill the neighbor's dog and he's
paying a *HUGE* fine for doing it. Don't be a ****ing moron, try
working within the system instead of being an immature little child.
Brian Henderson

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:35:24 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
t wrote:

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard to let
their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then you can call the
cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a criminal offense to
lave dog **** on someone else's property or in public.

It isn't illegal at all. What is illegal is failing to clean up after
the dog. Dog owners can have their dogs **** all over your lawn all
they want, so long as they pick it up afterwards.
Banty

In article , Brian Henderson says...

wrote:

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard to let
their dog take a **** will have their photo taken, and then you can call the
cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a criminal offense to
lave dog **** on someone else's property or in public.

It isn't illegal at all. What is illegal is failing to clean up after
the dog. Dog owners can have their dogs **** all over your lawn all
they want, so long as they pick it up afterwards.

Really? Perhaps for a public park, but as for private property, what do you
think the role is for tresspassing laws?

Banty