The Enigmatic One

Default Oven, Oven Clock stopped working

I have a White-Westinghouse electric oven from (probably) the mid-80s.
It has a mechanical clock on the front, consisting of one dial that is
the clock itself as well as a timer, and two dials to set the start and
stop times for cooking. By pushing in the stop time dial it is set to
manual.

Last night, in the middle of use, the oven stopped heating. At the time,
I noticed that the clock is also not working. After making sure that the
knob was set to manual, it still turned out to not be heating. The
stove-top range works fine.

I opened the front panel to take a look, and the clock looks to be pretty
well integrated into the panel--however there is a portion that can come
off. As it looks like getting a new clock, or getting the clock rebuilt,
is quite expensive (gathered from a google groups search), any
suggestions for just bypassing the clock entirely?

-Tim

Doc

"The Enigmatic One" wrote in message
news7twb.2179$LV1.1118@okepread05...

[...]

I assume you've checked the plug and circuit breaker...

Dan O.

The Enigmatic One wrote in message ...

I have a White-Westinghouse electric oven
It has a mechanical clock on the front,
consisting of one dial that is the clock itself
as well as a timer, and two dials to set the
start and stop times for cooking. By pushing
in the stop time dial it is set to manual.

Last night, in the middle of use, the oven stopped
heating. At the time, I noticed that the clock is also
not working. After making sure that the knob was
set to manual, it still turned out to not be heating.

As it looks like getting a new clock, or getting the
clock rebuilt, is quite expensive

Just because the clocked stopped working does not necessarily mean the
timer contacts for the oven failed. In fact, I would think that would
be a fairly unlikely occurrence to happen at the same time. You might
want to consider a little more checking.

any suggestions for just bypassing the clock entirely?

You'd have to check the wiring diagram as Jeff said if you can't
determine which contacts in the clock's timer switch open and close to
bypass each of them.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=W...inghouse+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

Just because the clocked stopped working does not
necessarily mean the timer contacts for the oven
failed. In fact, I would think that would be a fairly
unlikely occurrence to happen at the same time.

The Enigmatic One wrote in message ...

Well, I figured it would be quite unlikely to happen at
the same time and be unrelated (not necessarily a
causal relationship, however.)

You might want to consider a little more checking.

Yup. Went back in this past evening.

... while poking around again, I noticed a wire not
connecting to anything that was supposed to
connect to the timer/clock. It had broken right at
the terminal. As far as I can tell, the problem
is fixed.

Glad to gear it.

No wiring diagram. The manufacturer doesn't have
any manuals available for this model.

There may not be a service manual for that specific model but they
must have parts manuals. I don't know about a wiring diagram without
specific information.

(Though I still would love to find a wiring diagram and
repair manual. Anyone have any ideas on where to
find this for a mid-80s White-Westinghouse?)

Without posting at least the model number (if not the serial number as
well), I doubt anyone would be able to even begin to try to assist you
there. If needed, you can find tips for locating the model and serial
number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site
linked below.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Westinghouse+range

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

Without posting at least the model number (if
not the serial number as well), I doubt anyone
would be able to even begin to try to assist you
there. If needed, you can find tips for locating
the model and serial number tag on your
appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my
site linked below.

The Enigmatic One wrote

I have the model number and serial number.

It is always a good idea to supply that information whenever asking
specific questions about appliances. Designs and the components used
in them change very often, there is no other way to identify the
product being asked about.

the model number is KD532ADK3.

When I contacted White-Westing house a while
back on a different issue, I was told there is no
manual available at all for my model (owner's
manual, that is.)

I'm not surprised, it appears to be a ~1983 model. (at least that's
when its parts list is dated.)

An owner's manual would not likely have a wiring diagram in it anyway.
One is usually on each appliance somewhere. On older stove models
pasted to the back cover of the appliance is common, on newer models
it is often rolled or folded up inside the control panel.

There where 3 service manuals for that product. #'s L80SE9901,
L80SE99011, L80SE99012. (the last 2 likely be supplements to the
original.). I don't know where you'll find them but maybe if you can
find a Westinghouse repair depot that has been in business that long
or sometimes things like that come up for auction on eBay.

All other parts and repair pages I checked didn't
have anything for my model.

Older models like that will only rarely be found in any of the on-line
services which are available.

I just checked your site, and it has some great looking
info, but the links provided found me no matching repair
or owners manual.

Like I said, the on-line lookup services available usually deal with
newer products although they may still carry the parts for older ones.
If you needed something for your older model, you'd likely have to do
it the old fashion way of contacting someone whom could look up your
products on microfiche (microfilm) if you can't go by product pictures
supplied by the retailers.

JFYI

Dan O.
-