TOM KAN PA

Default Worthless, expensive home add-ons.

Who can add to this list?

Gutter Guard or Gutter Helmet. I heard an average 38' x 24' ranch or split
entry houses' gutters could cost up to $5,000 to replace with the "never clean
your gutters again" add-ons. And you still have to clean 'em.
Vinyl spray on siding. The ad I'm hearing states that it comes in 1,800 colors
and looks better than fake looking vinyl siding. I've seen some good looking
vinyl siding, some that looks like wood, some that looks like Shaker Shingles,
haven't seen the vinyl stone siding, but I heard some brands look good. You'd
think that some of the 1800 colors available in the spray-on would look like
hell. And I hear it's nothing but a very expensive paint job.

Steve Stone

Sealing an asphalt driveway. Looks pretty but kinda useless

--

Remove "zz" from e-mail address to direct reply.

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
[...]

Bruno

wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:51:25 GMT, "Steve Stone"

wrote:

Sealing an asphalt driveway. Looks pretty but kinda useless

It's not worthless if it makes your driveway pretty!

HA HA Budys Here

wrote:

Sealing an asphalt driveway. Looks pretty but kinda useless

That really depends on a number of factors including climate. In some areas
it's
just as important as painting your house.

BB

It keeps the water from getting under the asphalt and freezing in the winter.
(Night/day freeze/thaw cycles) Minute cracks become huge tears, and eventually
eroded valleys here if you don't seal the asphalt at least once every couple of
years.

Bruno

wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:57:51 -0500, "Bruno" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Sealing an asphalt driveway. Looks pretty but kinda useless

It's not worthless if it makes your driveway pretty!

Please watch how you trim! You make it look as though you are replying to

me,
which you are not. I disagreed with Steve Stone.

BB

Will you look at that! Sorry!

Specter

I've got one for you:

Stucco coated homes are the norm in my part of the world, and a well-known,
if not well-regarded, local home renovation outfit has been advertising a
thin, spray-on coating they claim will increase a home's R value by
something like 10 or 12 points. They say it contains tiny ceramic beads,
same as the material used to insulate the space shuttle. Best of all, this
miracle product can usually be applied for less than $3,000. They claim that
money will be returned to homeowners through energy savings, within the
first couple of years. Now, I'm not saying they're fibbing, but ...

Rob

Ermalina

Specter wrote:

I've got one for you:

Stucco coated homes are the norm in my part of the world, and a well-known,
if not well-regarded, local home renovation outfit has been advertising a
thin, spray-on coating they claim will increase a home's R value by
something like 10 or 12 points. They say it contains tiny ceramic beads,
same as the material used to insulate the space shuttle. Best of all, this
miracle product can usually be applied for less than $3,000. They claim that
money will be returned to homeowners through energy savings, within the
first couple of years. Now, I'm not saying they're fibbing, but ...

Rob

Maybe they're not.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_relea...960910-01.html
Edwin Pawlowski

"MAG" wrote in message
I disagree about the Gutter Guards. I have them on the back side of my
house. Cost was $200 (50 linear feet, added when I had some new windows
put in on that side). No gutter guards on the front side of my house.

The guarded side is virtually maintenance free (I spray collected junk
off the tops twice a year, about 20 minutes total per year).

At that price, they seem like a good deal. I've heard prices that were MUCH
more making them more on the order of a scam.
Ed

Art Begun

Leafguard gutter with built in gutter guards work well and look nicer
than normal gutters but are indeed expensive. On the other hand I had
Gutter Helmets added to my previous house on existing gutters and they
were a waste of money. They only work if your roof slope is right.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"MAG" wrote in message
I disagree about the Gutter Guards. I have them on the back side

of my
house. Cost was $200 (50 linear feet, added when I had some new

windows
put in on that side). No gutter guards on the front side of my

house.

The guarded side is virtually maintenance free (I spray collected

junk
off the tops twice a year, about 20 minutes total per year).

At that price, they seem like a good deal. I've heard prices that

were MUCH
more making them more on the order of a scam.
Ed

Chia Pet

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Who can add to this list?

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5 days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new
windows

user

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:30:08 GMT, Chia Pet wrote:

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Who can add to this list?

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5 days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new
windows

Ummm.... apparently your knowledge about R-values and thermal
effects are just as extensive as your knowledge of home insurance...

Tony Hwang

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message

Who can add to this list?

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5 days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new
windows

Ummm.... apparently your knowledge about R-values and thermal
effects are just as extensive as your knowledge of home insurance...

Hi,
It's all case by case. Everybody has different opinion and idea of those
add-ons.
Tony

George E. Cawthon

M R wrote:

Specter wrote:

I've got one for you:

Stucco coated homes are the norm in my part of the world, and a well-known,
if not well-regarded, local home renovation outfit has been advertising a
thin, spray-on coating they claim will increase a home's R value by
something like 10 or 12 points. They say it contains tiny ceramic beads,
same as the material used to insulate the space shuttle.

But if it burns off during takeoff and re-entry what good is it?

I wonder if they also sell stick on magnets to increase the
efficiency of your gas furnace?
Chia Pet

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Who can add to this list?

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5

days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new
windows

Ummm.... apparently your knowledge about R-values and thermal
effects are just as extensive as your knowledge of home insurance...

Anyone can buy insurance. Collecting on it when you need it, that's when the
knowledge or lack of it becomes apparent. Same for windows and R-values. It
is more the exception than the rule to get what you thought you bargained
for with either. And that's not my experience, but what I've learned
observing the experience of others. But fraud is the American way, isn't it?
The economy would collapse if people stopped buying hot air.

Frogleg

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:43:39 GMT, user wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:30:08 GMT, Chia Pet wrote:

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5 days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on new
windows

Ummm.... apparently your knowledge about R-values and thermal
effects are just as extensive as your knowledge of home insurance...

Au contraire. Some years ago I was north of Fairbanks in winter where
the outdoor temperature was -30F with a brisk wind. A rinky-dink small
house trailer was being used as a satellite tracking site, and the
computer quit when the interior (with heaters going, of course)
dropped to, well, maybe 40F. We went in and duct-taped around all the
windows (there were even louvered arrangements, if memory serves! We
taped those, too.) and doors. 3 hrs later, the interior temperature
was 70F. Since then, I've been *very* conscious of the cumulative
effect of direct heat leakage. Caulk first; buy fancy new windows
later.

EJ

"Frogleg" wrote in message
[...]

True for a trailer. In an old house with problem windows most of the heat
loss is (usually) not through the windows themselves. If the old sashes have
been maintained reasonably well then most of the heat loss is from air
infiltration through the structure of the house (much different than
trailer). Second in line is heat loss through poorly insulated walls. Even
if cellulose was blown in it usually stops where fireblocking is and the
walls are 2x4 anyway. Windows are a distant third, maybe 10% of total loss.
A dozen cans of urethane foam, a few sheets of styrofoam, and a bucket of
caulk will get the owner 300% ROI in a couple of months. Yes, do take care o
f your windows, but replace them last. Seal up your house first.

EJ