MAG

Default Worthless, expensive home add-ons.

In article ,
c says...
Who can add to this list?

Gutter Guard or Gutter Helmet. I heard an average 38' x 24' ranch or split
entry houses' gutters could cost up to $5,000 to replace with the "never clean
your gutters again" add-ons. And you still have to clean 'em.
Vinyl spray on siding. The ad I'm hearing states that it comes in 1,800 colors
and looks better than fake looking vinyl siding. I've seen some good looking
vinyl siding, some that looks like wood, some that looks like Shaker Shingles,
haven't seen the vinyl stone siding, but I heard some brands look good. You'd
think that some of the 1800 colors available in the spray-on would look like
hell. And I hear it's nothing but a very expensive paint job.

Tom-

I disagree about the Gutter Guards. I have them on the back side of my
house. Cost was $200 (50 linear feet, added when I had some new windows
put in on that side). No gutter guards on the front side of my house.

The guarded side is virtually maintenance free (I spray collected junk
off the tops twice a year, about 20 minutes total per year). The other
side, without the guards, needs to be cleaned about 6 times per year,
taking about 20 minutes per time, or about 2 hours per year worth of
maintenance.

Clearly the guards help, and I'll be putting them on the front sometime
soon.

Marc