EJ

Default Worthless, expensive home add-ons.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:43:39 GMT, user wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:30:08 GMT, Chia Pet wrote:

My favorite is replacement windows. A home with decent storms before

new
windows would have about a 50 year payback on new windows. If that same
homeowner bought some caulk and used it, the payback should be about 5

days.

I know, many will disagree, particulary those who just spent $10k on

new
windows

Ummm.... apparently your knowledge about R-values and thermal
effects are just as extensive as your knowledge of home insurance...

Au contraire. Some years ago I was north of Fairbanks in winter where
the outdoor temperature was -30F with a brisk wind. A rinky-dink small
house trailer was being used as a satellite tracking site, and the
computer quit when the interior (with heaters going, of course)
dropped to, well, maybe 40F. We went in and duct-taped around all the
windows (there were even louvered arrangements, if memory serves! We
taped those, too.) and doors. 3 hrs later, the interior temperature
was 70F. Since then, I've been *very* conscious of the cumulative
effect of direct heat leakage. Caulk first; buy fancy new windows
later.

True for a trailer. In an old house with problem windows most of the heat
loss is (usually) not through the windows themselves. If the old sashes have
been maintained reasonably well then most of the heat loss is from air
infiltration through the structure of the house (much different than
trailer). Second in line is heat loss through poorly insulated walls. Even
if cellulose was blown in it usually stops where fireblocking is and the
walls are 2x4 anyway. Windows are a distant third, maybe 10% of total loss.
A dozen cans of urethane foam, a few sheets of styrofoam, and a bucket of
caulk will get the owner 300% ROI in a couple of months. Yes, do take care o
f your windows, but replace them last. Seal up your house first.

EJ