jim

Default Do you have a heat pump?

No.
Gary Vocks

I moved into a house last fall that had a heat pump that was less than 2
years old. After feeling cold through three months and seeing horrendous
electric bills I had the heat pump taken out and had a new efficient propane
furnace installed. I really hated to spend the money but I'm glad that I
did. We were warm and toasty for the rest of a very cold winter and even
with the price of propane being up, I think I'll save money in the long run.

I really don't think heat pumps should be installed anywhere north of Mexico
City! B-)

BTW, I live out in the country in central Illinois.

Gary Vocks

"tflfb" wrote in message
What part of the country do you live in?

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

How old of a unit is it, whats the SEER value and the HSPF value?

Did you replace your furnace at the time of heat pump install?

What brand is it?

Are you satified with the results for your dollars spent?

I am considering a heat pump ......my furnace is 10yrs old.. I live in

Nebr,
I am looking at a SEER value of 13 and HSPF value of 8.0 Looking at Maytag
and Trane because of the warranty. Maytag 10 yrs parts and labor, both so
far are in the $3500.00 range, for a 3 ton unit, includeing rebates

$550.00
from the electric company.

Salesman will tell you anything to make a sale, and the ones that estimate
the cost of the job have exactly what I am looking at,......... installed
in there house and they just love it.

Thanks Tom

Tom Baker

"tflfb" wrote in message ...
What part of the country do you live in?

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

How old of a unit is it, whats the SEER value and the HSPF value?

Did you replace your furnace at the time of heat pump install?

What brand is it?

Are you satified with the results for your dollars spent?

I am considering a heat pump ......my furnace is 10yrs old.. I live in Nebr,
I am looking at a SEER value of 13 and HSPF value of 8.0 Looking at Maytag
and Trane because of the warranty. Maytag 10 yrs parts and labor, both so
far are in the $3500.00 range, for a 3 ton unit, includeing rebates $550.00
from the electric company.

Salesman will tell you anything to make a sale, and the ones that estimate
the cost of the job have exactly what I am looking at,......... installed
in there house and they just love it.

Thanks Tom

I live in South Carolina. Most new homes here have heat pumps.
I wonder if a ground source heat pump might be appropriate for a
climate with extreme cold.

Tom Baker
CBHvac

"tflfb" wrote in message
What part of the country do you live in?

NC

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

Umm...yea..
Lots..

How old of a unit is it, whats the SEER value and the HSPF value?

1 year....14S, and 9.25H

Did you replace your furnace at the time of heat pump install?

Umm...ripped it out...

What brand is it?

York of course..

Are you satified with the results for your dollars spent?

Yup..

I am considering a heat pump ......my furnace is 10yrs old.. I live in

Nebr,
I am looking at a SEER value of 13 and HSPF value of 8.0 Looking at Maytag
and Trane because of the warranty. Maytag 10 yrs parts and labor, both so
far are in the $3500.00 range, for a 3 ton unit, includeing rebates

$550.00
from the electric company.

You probably dont want a heat pump in your area, unless is sized EXACLy

Salesman will tell you anything to make a sale, and the ones that estimate
the cost of the job have exactly what I am looking at,......... installed
in there house and they just love it.

Only when dealing wih a hack company

Thanks Tom

Jeff Cochran

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:51:35 -0500, "tflfb" wrote:

What part of the country do you live in?

SW Florida.

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

What's "heating"?

Look, opinions from areas outside yours are likely useless. Get three
or more quotes, check into the reputations of the companies and ask
your friends for recommendations. Things like SEER ratings, while
arguably even a decent unit of measure, really don't apply to anything
outside your specific application. As long as each company has done
the proper analysis of your specific heating and cooling needs, you
should find similar recommendations among companies.

Jeff
MF

Ah, heat pumps. It seems to me that years ago when heat pumps came into
vogue, the principal behind a true heat pump was lines run deep into the
ground, and heat would be taken from the ground. When I got my house here in
Tejas 9 years ago, they had installed two heat pumps, and no lines to the
ground. I never really understood it. I have gas also, so I just push over
to the all gas heat button during the winter anyway.

Any historical talk about heat pumps, anyone?

"David" wrote in message
If I were you I wouldn't even think about getting a heat pump. They are
nothing but a piece of s***! I junked mine after 3 1/2 years. I had a
Carrier and it nearly ran me into the poorhouse on repairs. I wrote to

the
president of Carrier and they still would not make it good and replace it.
They screwed me once and shame on them,- screw me twice then shame on me.
Get a gas furnace (propane or natural) and you'll never be sorry! I
wouldn't have a heat pump installed, even if you gave it too me free. And
that's the facts Jack!!

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:51:35 -0500, "tflfb" wrote:

What part of the country do you live in?

SW Florida.

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

What's "heating"?

Look, opinions from areas outside yours are likely useless. Get three
or more quotes, check into the reputations of the companies and ask
your friends for recommendations. Things like SEER ratings, while
arguably even a decent unit of measure, really don't apply to anything
outside your specific application. As long as each company has done
the proper analysis of your specific heating and cooling needs, you
should find similar recommendations among companies.

Jeff

HvacTech2

Hi David, hope you are having a nice day

On 04-Jul-03 At About 15:04:34, David wrote to All
Subject: Do you have a heat pump?

D From: "David"

D It may be guaranteed for 10 years, but be prepared to have a service
D man out at least 2 or 3 times a year because of it freezing up on
D the outside and needing gas.

if that is the case you need to call a different company to check it and
repair the leak.

D I hear the winters in Nebraska can be
D brutal. After the temperature gets below 15 to 20 degrees your
D heatpump will cease to function and you will be on straight electric
D heat. So, the cost of heat will be expensive no matter if you are
D on gas or electric. My heat pump frozeup mostly in the winter.
D We had to suffer till a service man could finally come out. I am
D very bitter about the subject of heatpumps. One thing I didn't like
D about the pump when it did infrequently work OK, was after heating
D up it would go into the defrost cycle (they all do that) and nothing
D but cool air would come out of the registers for a few minutes.

again, you had a problem as the heat strips should have kicked on to reheat
the air during defrost.

D D I now have a high efficiency Trane gas furnace and their A/C and
D I am very satisfied with it. One, no matter what kind of gas/a/c
D system one has will probably have a service call every 6 or 7 years
D but not near as frequent as a HPump. My 2 cents worth again.

here may be the problem. you should always have a yearly ( or twice a year
if you have A/C) maintenence done it can catch problems before they become
major

-= HvacTech2 =-

... No one is born knowing all about this stuff...

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
tflfb

I am buying a unit that is guaranteed for 10yrs parts and labor, Maytag.

You get what you pay for. Trane and Maytag offer the best warranty, with out
a pay for extented warranty.

With a seer value of 13, if you have any insulation and decent windows you
save 38% on your cooling bill.

My cooling cost here in Nebr, is about $300 per season, so I figured I'de
save about $115.00 a yr.

Havent got my natural gas summary from the utility company as of yet to
figure natural gas cost and savings,natural gas is going to go thru the roof
this winter, and stay that way for at least 43-5 yrs.

Tom

"David" wrote in message
[...]

David

It may be guaranteed for 10 years, but be prepared to have a service man
out at least 2 or 3 times a year because of it freezing up on the outside
and needing gas. I hear the winters in Nebraska can be brutal. After the
temperature gets below 15 to 20 degrees your heatpump will cease to function
and you will be on straight electric heat. So, the cost of heat will be
expensive no matter if you are on gas or electric.
My heat pump frozeup mostly in the winter. We had to suffer till a service
man could finally come out. I am very bitter about the subject of
heatpumps.
One thing I didn't like about the pump when it did infrequently work OK, was
after heating up it would go into the defrost cycle (they all do that) and
nothing but cool air would come out of the registers for a few minutes. I
now have a high efficiency Trane gas furnace and their A/C and I am very
satisfied with it. One, no matter what kind of gas/a/c system one has will
probably have a service call every 6 or 7 years but not near as frequent as
a HPump.
My 2 cents worth again.

"David" wrote in message
[...]

tflfb

So who offers the best warranty?

Your remarks regarding Tranes 30 yr old technology, do you have a link I
can go to to.......or can you back up your statement with facts.

What is COP?

My utility co offers a winter rate on electricity 2.98 cents per KW after
750 KW .
Now my normal KW useage is between 600-700 at a cost of first 100.... 6.98
cents, the 500 after that 5.98 cents per hundred

I don't know where you live but here in Ne, we use alot of coal and nuclear
( atomic energy) to generated electricity .
I supose that with the shortage of N/Gas thats going to occure, we will burn
alot of coal, as the neclear plant may be down for maintance.

Tom

"CBHvac" wrote in message

"tflfb" wrote in message
I am buying a unit that is guaranteed for 10yrs parts and labor, Maytag.

LOL.....ok...

Service guys will love you...

You get what you pay for. Trane and Maytag offer the best warranty, with

out
a pay for extented warranty.

No..they dont...not even close to the best warranty..and with Trane, you
SURE dont get what you paid for..
Unless you like paying for 30 year old technology in a modern
package....sad, but true..

With a seer value of 13, if you have any insulation and decent windows

you
save 38% on your cooling bill.

LOL...ok...no..not always...Sounds good on paper thou..

My cooling cost here in Nebr, is about $300 per season, so I figured

I'de
save about $115.00 a yr.

Perhaps...has anyone actually ran the numbers, taking into consideration

the
COP and such?

Havent got my natural gas summary from the utility company as of yet to
figure natural gas cost and savings,natural gas is going to go thru the

roof
this winter, and stay that way for at least 43-5 yrs.

And...what do you think is burned to get you your electricity?

Just as food for thought..

Tom

wrote:

What part of the country do you live in?

SW Florida.

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

What's "heating"?

Look, opinions from areas outside yours are likely useless. Get

three
or more quotes, check into the reputations of the companies and ask
your friends for recommendations. Things like SEER ratings, while
arguably even a decent unit of measure, really don't apply to

anything
outside your specific application. As long as each company has done
the proper analysis of your specific heating and cooling needs, you
should find similar recommendations among companies.

Jeff

CBHvac

"tflfb" wrote in message
So who offers the best warranty?

Your remarks regarding Tranes 30 yr old technology, do you have a link I
can go to to.......or can you back up your statement with facts.

GE Climatuff compressor...
While excellent, old design.

Aluminum spined coil...worst in the industry...Carrier used it years ago..no
more..Trane used it years ago...still do..
Ask anyone in the trade...Tranes, ANY model, and old Carrier Spined
coils...old stuff...hard to maintain...costs more to clean and service...

What is COP?

Coeficient of performance..
the point where the unit no longer heats due to temp outside, in a nutshell.

wrote:

What part of the country do you live in?

SW Florida.

Are you saving any cooling and heating dollars?

What's "heating"?

Look, opinions from areas outside yours are likely useless. Get

three
or more quotes, check into the reputations of the companies and

ask
your friends for recommendations. Things like SEER ratings, while
arguably even a decent unit of measure, really don't apply to

anything
outside your specific application. As long as each company has

done
the proper analysis of your specific heating and cooling needs,

you
should find similar recommendations among companies.

Jeff

William Coney

I live in the Sierra Foothills NE of Sacramento. I'm at 1900 feet, though
the average elevation is closer to 1500.

I have a GE Executron from 1981 [when the house was built]. At the time,
PG&E offered discounts for "all electric" houses. Over the years those
discounts have evaporated. My impression is that the heat pump works wells
*except* for the three to five winter weeks when the temperature drops below
the balance point of about 38 degrees. Then its a giant electric heater.
From my perspective, the issue is the backup heat. If you can backup with
natural gas or propane, then I think heat pumps are a great deal. From
conversations with neighbors using propane, my energy bills are fairly
comparable during periods above 40 degrees.

Other comments:

* Get a honeywell Chronotherm thermostat. Designed for heat pumps - saw a
positive impact on my bills immediately

* Some people actually don't like the *method* a heat pump uses, a different
consideration than cost. Heat pumps move higher volumes of lower temperature
air and to some this is not comfortable.

YMMV.....

"tflfb" wrote in message
[...]

CBHvac

"William Coney" wrote in message
I live in the Sierra Foothills NE of Sacramento. I'm at 1900 feet, though
the average elevation is closer to 1500.

I have a GE Executron from 1981 [when the house was built]. At the time,
PG&E offered discounts for "all electric" houses. Over the years those
discounts have evaporated. My impression is that the heat pump works wells
*except* for the three to five winter weeks when the temperature drops

below
the balance point of about 38 degrees. Then its a giant electric heater.
From my perspective, the issue is the backup heat. If you can backup with
natural gas or propane, then I think heat pumps are a great deal. From
conversations with neighbors using propane, my energy bills are fairly
comparable during periods above 40 degrees.

Other comments:

* Get a honeywell Chronotherm thermostat. Designed for heat pumps - saw a
positive impact on my bills immediately

Not true..
Dependant on the sub-base, they can be heat only...gas, electric...etc...

* Some people actually don't like the *method* a heat pump uses, a

different
consideration than cost. Heat pumps move higher volumes of lower

temperature
air and to some this is not comfortable.

Umm...how you figure this? Seriously...since we install more heatpumps than
anything else now...due to the cheaper cost..to run...
I can show you were you would be seriously wrong on this blanket
statement...and where inspectors have gone around the home looking for the
gas line...on a heat pump...

YMMV.....

"tflfb" wrote in message
[...]

William Coney

* Some people actually don't like the *method* a heat pump uses, a

different
consideration than cost. Heat pumps move higher volumes of lower

temperature
air and to some this is not comfortable.

Umm...how you figure this? Seriously...since we install more heatpumps

than
anything else now...due to the cheaper cost..to run...
I can show you were you would be seriously wrong on this blanket
statement...and where inspectors have gone around the home looking for the
gas line...on a heat pump...

What part of the above are you considering a blanket statement? I said "some
people."

In general, air coming out of a register from a heat pump is lower
temperature than other heating types. I'm talking about my experience with
my circa-1981 technology unit.

Where are you located?

Regards.

CBHvac

"William Coney" wrote in message

* Some people actually don't like the *method* a heat pump uses, a

different
consideration than cost. Heat pumps move higher volumes of lower

temperature
air and to some this is not comfortable.

Umm...how you figure this? Seriously...since we install more heatpumps

than
anything else now...due to the cheaper cost..to run...
I can show you were you would be seriously wrong on this blanket
statement...and where inspectors have gone around the home looking for

the
gas line...on a heat pump...

What part of the above are you considering a blanket statement? I said

"some
people."

I considered "larger volumes of air" a blanket statement, since anyone that
has installed one correctly knows that a heat pump and gas or oil furnace
are all governed under the same part of the International Building Code and
Manual D as far as the actual VOLUME of air moved...
Actual setup may vary, due to temp rise, TD and such, but if you take a
2000CFM furnace, and a 2000CFM heat pump....well...they move 2000CFM...
And what about heat pumps with gas backups? Does the volume of air suddenly
decrease? No..
thats all..not trying to flame, but making a correction to that statement...

In general, air coming out of a register from a heat pump is lower
temperature than other heating types.

In general, yes...but...ahhh..this is where the magic happens..
A properly sized and installed heat pump, will heat a home just as well, and
in some cases, as fast as a gas unit. Improperly sized gas units might heat
your home real fast, but thats not the idea...the idea is to maintain a
temp..not swing it wildly.

I'm talking about my experience with
my circa-1981 technology unit.

Todays heat pump isnt like that dino...really. Todays heat better, warmer,
and use less energy than ever...

Where are you located?

Central NC, but have installed in Iowa, Southern CA, Maryland, VA, and
Vermont...both gas and heat pumps...commercial and residential..

Regards.

How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM
Heat pump cost Home Repair 3 July 3rd 03 07:09 PM
Heat pump formula Larry Caldwell Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 04:43 PM
Heat pump v/s Central Air unit tflfb Home Repair 8 July 1st 03 09:37 PM