tflfb

Default Heat pump v/s Central Air unit

If I were to replace my 10yr old central air unit with a heat pump, am
I going to save anything in winter heating ( natural gas )bill's, takeing
into consideration there's no shortage of natural gas as they claim there is
going to be.

I figure what you save on natural gas in the winter,useing the heat
pump, you spend that saved money on electricity, useing the heat pump.

Tom

Joseph Meehan

Ask your local utility company. The answer is based on the cost of the
two fuels. They can tell you what the cost savings or lose would be at
today's prices, you and we can only guess about next year. The electricity
might go up faster than the gas.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"tflfb" wrote in message
If I were to replace my 10yr old central air unit with a heat pump,

am
I going to save anything in winter heating ( natural gas )bill's, takeing
into consideration there's no shortage of natural gas as they claim there

is
going to be.

I figure what you save on natural gas in the winter,useing the heat
pump, you spend that saved money on electricity, useing the heat pump.

Tom

Wade Lippman

Depends on where your are; in the North, not a chance. In a temperate area,
maybe.

Donald Gares

CBHvac wrote:

"tflfb" wrote in message
If I were to replace my 10yr old central air unit with a heat pump,

am
I going to save anything in winter heating ( natural gas )bill's, takeing
into consideration there's no shortage of natural gas as they claim there

is
going to be.

No way of telling you since you didnt post your rates..

However

A heat pump, with a high enough rating, you can figure this..
For every dollar you spend of electricity to get heat, you get $1.25 in
heat..

With a gas unit, for ever dollar you spend on heat, just for the gas, not
taking into consideration, the electrical to run it, you get .090 cents or
less..

Did you mean $.90, $.09, or did you actually mean $.0009 as you stated?

Don
--
Donald Gares - Broker/Owner
Creative Farm and Home Realty
Jim Rusling

"tflfb" wrote:

If I were to replace my 10yr old central air unit with a heat pump, am
I going to save anything in winter heating ( natural gas )bill's, takeing
into consideration there's no shortage of natural gas as they claim there is
going to be.

I figure what you save on natural gas in the winter,useing the heat
pump, you spend that saved money on electricity, useing the heat pump.

Tom

It will depend on where you live. I live in Oklahoma and when I
replaced my system 7 yrs ago, I put in a dual fueled heat pump system.
I have mine set to use the heat pump above 35 and gas heat below that.

I also got a rebate from the electric company for installing a heat
pump.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired

CBHvac

"tflfb" wrote in message
[...]

Depending on your area, you will only save money with a heat pump, and thats
ONLY if its sized, and installed correctly, and that might mean new
duct...but that goes for a gas unit as well.

I know I have already paid for my heat pump, when I removed the new oil
unit, and replaced it with a high SEER heat pump...I litereally paid for it
the first year...in savings from the fuel.
And of course, I got it at a dealers price, but still....thats one hell of a
return.

Tom

CBHvac

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
s.com...
CBHvac wrote:

"tflfb" wrote in message
[...]

Umm..typo....90 cents..

Don
--
Donald Gares - Broker/Owner
Creative Farm and Home Realty
Keosauqua, IA - Licensed IA & MO
http://www.crsales.com

tflfb

I figured that if there's a natural gas shortage, and my electric co uses
Natural gas to generate electricity there would not be much if any savings,
if they were burning coal or the ( enviromentalist ) to generate electricty
they may be a savings.

I live in the midwest Nebraska.

Tom

"tflfb" wrote in message
If I were to replace my 10yr old central air unit with a heat

pump,
am
I going to save anything in winter heating ( natural gas )bill's,

takeing
into consideration there's no shortage of natural gas as they claim

there
is
going to be.

I figure what you save on natural gas in the winter,useing the

heat
pump, you spend that saved money on electricity, useing the heat pump.

Tom

Joseph Meehan

Almost any area that has natural gas available uses it as a backup to
any other fuel used for power generation. I might add that electricity is
easy to transport and the stuff you pay for may have been based on the price
at a plant a thousand miles away. Ask California about all the funny stuff
that goes into electric pricing.

The price of coal could go up greatly in just a couple of years, if
additional pollution controls are placed on it just as natural gas prices
can quickly change with an international dispute. It's all guess work.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math