John Barry

Default Heat pump formula

"tflfb" wrote in message ...
Need to replace my central air unit, I am considering a Trane heat pump not
sure on how to go about figureing out if or what the saveing will be.

After 750 KWatts of useage the rate per KW is 2.98 per KW.

There calling for a 20% increase in natural gas this yr, in my area.

I have a natural gas furnace, live in the midwest ( eastern Ne).
Tom.

Hi, Tom.

First, you're not billed per KW. Kilowatt a _rate_ of energy
transfer. You pay by KW-hour. One KW-hour is 3412.14 ... BTU.

A heat pump has a coefficient of performance, say 3.2, at a given set
of high and low reservoir temps, which means that it's delivering to
the load 3.2 times the energy received from the power line. IOW, it's
the BTU/hr / Watts * 3.412.

Make sure the temps are clearly specified for the COP tests.

For gas, you pay by CCF or therm, both averaging about 100K BTU,
depending on the actual gas mix. You might pay ~$1/therm.

Now you have all the info you need to figure costs. And ... $2.98 per
KW-h is insane- the equivalent of $150/gal of #2 fuel-oil. Time to
hit the books.

HTH,
John