Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperature system of the USA

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:27:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/10/2016 19:02, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 10/22/2016 10:55 AM, Pat wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:34:29 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases
dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

Not according to the Basil Rathbone movie I was watching last night.

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes.
You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?

Scotland beat you to it. And you can wash paper notes, they're actually
linen.

Australia beat us all to it. They've used them since 1992.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2016 02:00, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 00:54:31 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:29:22 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.

0C for freezing point is easier to understand.

But what is 80?

To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.

Who cares what the pool is at. You jump in and say "this is warm", "this is cold" etc.

If you look at the thermometer and it says 77, you might not want to
jump in.
The real difference is when the pool starts to grow things.
That really starts to crank up at about 83-84f.

There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

Are fractions too difficult for you?

simply unnecessary complication.

Fahrenheit uses fractions as well, eg; 6C = 42.8F
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2016 02:02, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 7:17:06 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

I had to scroll up a mile to see how old this thread was. 141 says you are idiots.

No one forced you read this thread. You have free will
to click it on or pass on by.

Yup, it really is that simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2016 12:04 PM, Bod wrote:
On 22/10/2016 18:29, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.
To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.
There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

The UK didn't have any problems changing over. Anyway, most electronic
thermometers give you the choice to set C or F.

OK, but...
There are many more thermometers in current use that are not
electronic.
My house is only 44 years old and the thermostat is F.
It's about the installed base. You're free to use whatever scale you wish.
In the USA, using F provides the best communication with other
people in everyday life.
If you told me it was 30 degrees outside, I'd assume you meant F.
If you told me it was 30 degrees C outside, my reaction would be,
"HUH?". It's not that we can't do the math, but why should we.
If my oven is F and the cookbook is in F, there's no upside and some
downside in trying to
use C anywhere else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The UK didn't have any problems changing over. Anyway, most electronic
thermometers give you the choice to set C or F.

OK, but...
There are many more thermometers in current use that are not
electronic.
My house is only 44 years old and the thermostat is F.
It's about the installed base. You're free to use whatever scale you wish.
In the USA, using F provides the best communication with other
people in everyday life.
If you told me it was 30 degrees outside, I'd assume you meant F.
If you told me it was 30 degrees C outside, my reaction would be,
"HUH?". It's not that we can't do the math, but why should we.
If my oven is F and the cookbook is in F, there's no upside and some
downside in trying to
use C anywhere else.

We changed from F to C years ago. It really doesn't take long to adopt
the metric version.
The USA is one of the very few countries that don't use the Celcius scale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod,

The book 1984 has a discussion of the metric system. The fellow wants a
pint of beer. A liter is too much and a half liter is too small. Do you
order metrically at your pub?
We don't want to change the system we grow up with. It's disruptive to
many people.
Professionally I use the metric system but at home I use cups, teaspoons
and tablespoons when cooking. My house is at 20 deg. or 68 deg..

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword was thinking very hard :
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:32:52 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:42:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 10/22/2016 10:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

I think 100F was supposed to be human body temperature. I'm not sure
about 0F.

I think zero f was when a saturated brine solution freezes.

No, that's -21C = -5.8F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigorific_mixture
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword wrote on 10/22/2016 :
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:08:13 +0100, FromTheRafters
wrote:

Bod wrote on 10/22/2016 :
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

It should be measured in 'grads' not degrees then. At least Fahrenheit
has 180 degrees between freezing and boiling which makes circular
calculations easier.

Actually, the history of the Fahrenheit scale has many twists and turns
before it settled in to what it is today.

WTF is a circular calculation?

You wouldn't understand.

Decimal is always easier to calculate things
in.

No it isn't.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5977095/why-w...ounting-system
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 09:25:40 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote on 10/22/2016 :

Decimal is always easier to calculate things
in.

No it isn't.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5977095/why-w...ounting-system

That would make the principal advantage of the metric system moot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

laid this down on his screen :
wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote on 10/22/2016 :

Decimal is always easier to calculate things
in.

No it isn't.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5977095/why-w...ounting-system

That would make the principal advantage of the metric system moot.

I don't think that matters much as the idea was that "things" are
"always" more easily "calculated" in "decimal". It depends entirely
upon working in the best base for that particular calculation or class
of problem.

Here's another one best done in Hexadecimal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey...louffe_formula

Things aren't necessarily easier to calculate in decimal, it is just
that people are more familiar with decimal so they gravitate toward it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2016 11:59 AM, Bod wrote:

The fahrenheit scale is used by about 99% of the world's countries..

Which, of course, doesn't make it more logical or better in any way.

Don't confuse "more familiar" or "more popular" with "better".

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

If it's more precise, it can't still be 100.

Consider 100, 100.00, and 100.000000. You might call all those 100, but
there IS a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Anyway, I'd prefer something based on the world (like centigrade) to
something that exaggerates our own importance.

It's the name of the guy that invented it presumably, I can't see a
problem in that.

A person's name is a meaningless word, unless you have specific
knowledge. A word like "centigrade" already has a meaning.

Also, metric units are
chosen to make calculations easier.

Celsius IS metric.

You seemed to have missed that I was comparing it to Fahrenheit.

--
63 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Thinking men cannot be ruled." Ayn Rand
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

It also represents the place I have zero chance of living in.
If it gets to 0c, I am moving farther south.

So at 100C you have 100% chance of living?

One general rune that's often useful: if one extreme is bad, the other
is too.

--
63 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Thinking men cannot be ruled." Ayn Rand

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a
circle, but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

BTW, metric uses a different unit to measure angles, and it has nothing
to do with temperature either.

--
63 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Thinking men cannot be ruled." Ayn Rand
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 10/23/2016 9:34 AM, hah wrote:

Where can you go one mile north, one mile east, and one mile south
and end up where you started? Anywhere else?

The joke as I remember it was:

You go south one mile, east one mile, and north one mile to end up where
you started. You see a bear. What color is it?

(White)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2016 18:16, AL wrote:
On 10/23/2016 9:34 AM, hah wrote:

Where can you go one mile north, one mile east, and one mile south
and end up where you started? Anywhere else?

The joke as I remember it was:

You go south one mile, east one mile, and north one mile to end up where
you started. You see a bear. What color is it?

(White)

After you've gone south a mile, then east a mile, then north one mile
you'd be 1 mile east of where you
started. You'd need to go west a mile after going north.

Mr Pedant :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-23 1:38 PM, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/2016 18:16, AL wrote:
On 10/23/2016 9:34 AM, hah wrote:

Where can you go one mile north, one mile east, and one mile south
and end up where you started? Anywhere else?

The joke as I remember it was:

You go south one mile, east one mile, and north one mile to end up where
you started. You see a bear. What color is it?

(White)

After you've gone south a mile, then east a mile, then north one mile
you'd be 1 mile east of where you
started. You'd need to go west a mile after going north.

Not if you start from the magnetic north pole, and are using a compass
for directions.

--
Froz....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a circle,
but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

It is a calculation that requires the result from another calculation but
that other calculation requires the result of the first. Doesn't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 2016-10-23 1:38 PM, Bod wrote:
On 23/10/2016 18:16, AL wrote:

You go south one mile, east one mile, and north one mile to end
up where you started. You see a bear. What color is it?

(White)

After you've gone south a mile, then east a mile, then north one
mile you'd be 1 mile east of where you started. You'd need to go
west a mile after going north.

Try it on your globe starting at the north pole. It will look like a
triangle on a sphere and thus only three direction changes are needed to
get back to the start.

Not if you start from the magnetic north pole, and are using a
compass for directions.

It works for the geographic north pole also, no compass needed. (A mind
game in geometry.)

And for Bod who apparently didn't get the joke: The only place that
works is on the north pole, thus the (polar) bear is white.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:05:17 +0100, dadiOH wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a circle,
but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

It is a calculation that requires the result from another calculation but
that other calculation requires the result of the first. Doesn't work.

And this works better with Fahrenheit how?

--
During last night's high winds an African family was killed by a falling tree.
A spokesman for the Birmingham City council said, "We didn't even know they were living up there".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:45:06 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a
circle, but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

BTW, metric uses a different unit to measure angles, and it has nothing
to do with temperature either.

Never heard of a metric version of degrees.

--
During last night's high winds an African family was killed by a falling tree.
A spokesman for the Birmingham City council said, "We didn't even know they were living up there".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:24:58 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

Anyway, I'd prefer something based on the world (like centigrade) to
something that exaggerates our own importance.

It's the name of the guy that invented it presumably, I can't see a
problem in that.

A person's name is a meaningless word, unless you have specific
knowledge. A word like "centigrade" already has a meaning.

It saves you remembering one simple number. How stupid are Americans?

--
gods don't smite people anymore because people of many different religions now living in the same town.
No god wants to accidentally smite the wrong person and get sued by another god.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:21:43 +0100, Sam E wrote:

[snip]

If it's more precise, it can't still be 100.

Consider 100, 100.00, and 100.000000. You might call all those 100, but
there IS a difference.

Fahrenheit wasn't slightly off.

--
It turns out a Chinese food deliveryman who was thought to be missing, was actually stuck in a Manhattan apartment building elevator for 4 days.
The man is ok, but the building's owner is charging him $1,500 rent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:35:12 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/22/2016 10:57 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

[snip]

I was all for it when it was called centigrade, but lost interest when
they changed to the no longer self defined "Celsius".

Probably someone's name. I feel that it indicates a personality defect
to name something after yourself or another person rather than using a
name that actually means something (such as centigrade).

--
64 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we
can't see."

It is named after the Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701€“1744), who developed a similar temperature scale. (From Wikipedia)

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that James Wilkinson Sword formulated :
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:45:06 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a
circle, but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

BTW, metric uses a different unit to measure angles, and it has nothing
to do with temperature either.

Never heard of a metric version of degrees.

Grads have one hundred divisions per quarter circle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Because we are stubborn and hate the metric system for some reason.
Also, F = Freedom. So if it's, like, really hot outside, we go "It's 90
degrees of Freedom out there."

--
Zodiac69
the future of alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2016 2:28 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

But the point is that the US IS a country that uses Farenheit!
For most of us, there's no benefit to change but there is COST to change.
Look at what happened when we changed from NTSC to ATSC Television.
Was a nightmare. The government had to outlaw NTSC and fund a big
chunk of the conversion to make it happen.

People don't like change. Get over it.
Most devices sold today can do both. People will convert on their
own schedule...typically death is the trigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 01:03:59 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

It happens that James Wilkinson Sword formulated :
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:45:06 +0100, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate
things in.

Probably a calculation using angles. 180 degrees (angle) is half a
circle, but IIRC angular degrees have nothing to do with temperature.

BTW, metric uses a different unit to measure angles, and it has nothing
to do with temperature either.

Never heard of a metric version of degrees.

Grads have one hundred divisions per quarter circle.

Oh those, they're on my scientific calculator, but I've never seen them used.

--
What's the best thing to get for a woman who has everything?
A man to show her how to work it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bod wrote on 10/22/2016 :
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

It should be measured in 'grads' not degrees then. At least Fahrenheit
has 180 degrees between freezing and boiling which makes circular
calculations easier.

Actually, the history of the Fahrenheit scale has many twists and turns
before it settled in to what it is today.

WTF is a circular calculation?

You wouldn't understand.

Decimal is always easier to calculate things
in.

No it isn't.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5977095/why-w...ounting-system

Changing the entire counting system would be impossible. So everything should be based on how we do count.

--
I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/22/2016 10:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

I think 100F was supposed to be human body temperature. I'm not sure
about 0F.

I think zero f was when a saturated brine solution freezes.

No, that's -21C = -5.8F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigorific_mixture

So 0F is ammonium chloride, not sodium chloride (brine).

--
You can lead a man to Congress . . .
.. . . but you can't make him think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:29:22 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.

0C for freezing point is easier to understand.

But what is 80?

Huh?

To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.

Who cares what the pool is at. You jump in and say "this is warm", "this is cold" etc.

If you look at the thermometer and it says 77, you might not want to
jump in.

Use your big toe if you're a sissy.

The real difference is when the pool starts to grow things.
That really starts to crank up at about 83-84f.

Then don't heat it.

There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

Are fractions too difficult for you?

simply unnecessary complication.

Oh you poor simpleton.

--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Paper notes catch fire over there, it's too hot.

--
A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable?" The man says, "I make a good living."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 01:26:10 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:57:07 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

No at 100c your still is pumping out water so you should have stopped
22 degrees ago.

Obviously not a moon shiner ;-)

I brew, it's easier.

--
Peter is now listening to "Guo Yi & Guo Yue - Mongolian Horse"
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword submitted this idea :

wrote:

Bod wrote on 10/22/2016 :
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

It should be measured in 'grads' not degrees then. At least Fahrenheit
has 180 degrees between freezing and boiling which makes circular
calculations easier.

Actually, the history of the Fahrenheit scale has many twists and turns
before it settled in to what it is today.

WTF is a circular calculation?

You wouldn't understand.

Decimal is always easier to calculate things
in.

No it isn't.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5977095/why-w...ounting-system

Changing the entire counting system would be impossible. So everything
should be based on how we do count.

There's no need to change the entire counting system just to prove that
"Decimal is always easier to calculate things in" is a false statement.

There are many examples of how different calculations can be carried
out more easily in other bases than they can in base ten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Metric systems make most calculations easier, but not those including degrees of temperature. There is no advantage either way. There's always a constant expressed in degrees. So while there is a huge advantage to using kilograms over grains and Troy ounces, there is no advantage in Celsius over Fahrenheit for computation.

2. Both scales are 100 degree scales. Both are European. Celsius used 100 degrees between freezing and boiling, while Fahrenheit preferred the 100 degrees between the average coldest temperature Europe got to in winter and the hottest it got to in summer, where he lived.