Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Temperature system of the USA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 07:55:09 +0100, Bod wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:27:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/10/2016 19:02, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 10/22/2016 10:55 AM, Pat wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:34:29 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases
dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

Not according to the Basil Rathbone movie I was watching last night.

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes.
You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?

Scotland beat you to it. And you can wash paper notes, they're actually
linen.

Australia beat us all to it. They've used them since 1992.

Paper notes catch fire over there, it's too hot.

--
A car hit an elderly Jewish man. The paramedic says, "Are you comfortable?" The man says, "I make a good living."