Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Temperature system of the USA

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 02:00:50 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 00:54:31 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:29:22 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.

0C for freezing point is easier to understand.

But what is 80?

Huh?

To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.

Who cares what the pool is at. You jump in and say "this is warm", "this is cold" etc.

If you look at the thermometer and it says 77, you might not want to
jump in.

Use your big toe if you're a sissy.

The real difference is when the pool starts to grow things.
That really starts to crank up at about 83-84f.

Then don't heat it.

There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

Are fractions too difficult for you?

simply unnecessary complication.

Oh you poor simpleton.

--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?