Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Temperature system of the USA

On 10/23/2016 2:28 AM, Bod wrote:

The UK didn't have any problems changing over. Anyway, most electronic
thermometers give you the choice to set C or F.

OK, but...
There are many more thermometers in current use that are not
electronic.
My house is only 44 years old and the thermostat is F.
It's about the installed base. You're free to use whatever scale you
wish.
In the USA, using F provides the best communication with other
people in everyday life.
If you told me it was 30 degrees outside, I'd assume you meant F.
If you told me it was 30 degrees C outside, my reaction would be,
"HUH?". It's not that we can't do the math, but why should we.
If my oven is F and the cookbook is in F, there's no upside and some
downside in trying to
use C anywhere else.

We changed from F to C years ago. It really doesn't take long to adopt
the metric version.
The USA is one of the very few countries that don't use the Celcius scale.

But the point is that the US IS a country that uses Farenheit!
For most of us, there's no benefit to change but there is COST to change.
Look at what happened when we changed from NTSC to ATSC Television.
Was a nightmare. The government had to outlaw NTSC and fund a big
chunk of the conversion to make it happen.

People don't like change. Get over it.
Most devices sold today can do both. People will convert on their
own schedule...typically death is the trigger.