Mark

Default New CH system -- sometimes house does not get up to temperature

Hi All,

We've recently had a new central heating system fitted (a WB greenstar
combi boiler 440). Before the thermostat was fitted the house
(obviously) gets very hot! However after the thermostat was fitted
the house sometimes does not heat up at all or sometimes the boiler
stops firing when the room temperature is 2-3 degrees below that set
on the 'stat.

We also sometimes find the boiler only coming on half an hour after
the timer should switch the boiler on. I have confirmed this by
sitting by the boiler and watching/listening to what it is doing. It
does nothing for about 20-30 mins then appears to fire on minimum for
10 minutes and then goes to max (I think).

I have another thermometer next to the thermostat to confirm the room
temperature.

The thermostat is a WB TR2 electronic 'stat so it doesn't click.

The hot water seems to work correctly.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to diagnose this problem?
I've checked the obvious things like air in the rads and system
pressure.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:05:22 +0000, Mark wrote:

[...]

Turn the thermostat up a little as needed. The absolute numbers are not
important, and even if they are correct only relate to the exact location
of the thermostat not the house in general.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
The thermostat is a WB TR2 electronic 'stat so it doesn't click.

Interesting. My programmable Horsmann is battery operated and makes a
louder click than the old 'mechanical' one. Some form of stepping relay, I
assume. It's actually quite annoying.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:36:37 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

[...]

I hadn't expected the thermostat to be that inaccurate. Remember I
have checked the temperature with a themometer close to the 'stat. I
did move the thermometer around to make sure there is not a hot spot
near the 'stat.

The boiler does have a night set back unit which is supposed to
maintain the temperature at a lower level during the night. This
works as expected. i.e. the themometer shows the temperature selected
on the night set back unit when the CH timer is selected to off. This
suggests that the stat is accurate in this case - so why should it be
inaccurate during the day?

For example I set the room stat to 21 and the night set back unit to
15. During the evening (when the CH timer is on) the room temperature
goes up to a maximum of 17 degrees. During the day (when the CH timer
is off) the room temperature is maintained at 15 degrees. The boiler
does fire up on low during the day.

Regards,
Mark

Jeff

wrote:

[...]

is the time set correctly on the boiler ?

Regards Jeff

Mark

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:40:22 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes. I think I've checked all the obvious things :-) The timer CH
light comes on on the boiler at the correct time but the boiler does
not fire up for the heating when expected.

I've made sure that no hot water is being used.

Regards,
Mark

Mark

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:54:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
The thermostat is a WB TR2 electronic 'stat so it doesn't click.

Interesting. My programmable Horsmann is battery operated and makes a
louder click than the old 'mechanical' one. Some form of stepping relay, I
assume. It's actually quite annoying.

I wish this device would click or have a light to indicate what it
thinks is going on.

Anyone know if there is a test mode?

Mark.

Jeff

Mark wrote :-

Yes. I think I've checked all the obvious things :-) The timer CH
light comes on on the boiler at the correct time but the boiler does
not fire up for the heating when expected.

I've made sure that no hot water is being used.

Regards,
Mark

I believe that these have an optimising controller - but exactly what that
means I don't know - something like if the differance between required temp
and actual temp is big it switches on early and vice versa

Regards Jeff

Mark

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:55:24 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

Mark wrote :-

Yes. I think I've checked all the obvious things :-) The timer CH
light comes on on the boiler at the correct time but the boiler does
not fire up for the heating when expected.

I've made sure that no hot water is being used.

Regards,
Mark

I believe that these have an optimising controller - but exactly what that
means I don't know - something like if the differance between required temp
and actual temp is big it switches on early and vice versa

There's a vague mention of this on their web pages but I can't find
anything in the manuals about it. However I'm not sure why the
controller would make it start up _late_ when the temperature is below
that required.

Maybe it's just too damn complicated and is making some (incorrect)
guesses about our heating requirements.

Mark.

DRO System Mill/Drill Kenneth A. Emmert Metalworking 11 December 3rd 04 05:28 AM
Old "Electric" House, wanting new heating system bschott Home Repair 7 October 29th 04 04:30 AM
Buying a house: Some questions Tony Home Ownership 8 August 17th 04 06:38 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Ownership 21 February 20th 04 02:50 AM