Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Temperature system of the USA

Bod wrote on 10/22/2016 :
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

It should be measured in 'grads' not degrees then. At least Fahrenheit
has 180 degrees between freezing and boiling which makes circular
calculations easier.

Actually, the history of the Fahrenheit scale has many twists and turns
before it settled in to what it is today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/10/2016 18:55, Pat wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:34:29 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

Correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

Not according to the Basil Rathbone movie I was watching last night.

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes.
You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2016 3:27 PM, Bod wrote:

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes.
You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?

We've had money laundering for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 10/22/2016 12:27 PM, Bod wrote:

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes. You can
even wash the money without damage. I don't think that the US has
done that yet....?

Sure we have plastic money. Been using it for many decades now. Called
credit cards. I very seldom use cash cash anymore. Even for small
transactions it's usually quicker and no change to hassle with. There's
no interest charge (when paid off) and my cash back card gives me back
(on average) $500/yr. Cash cash is pretty much obsolete for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/22/2016 12:34 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:42:12 -0500, Mark wrote:

I think 100F was supposed to be human body temperature. I'm not sure
about 0F.

No. Some time back they took the temperature of 10,000 people in
centigrade. They averaged the temperatures. Then they rounded to the
nearest centigrade, or 37C. Then they converted to 98.6F. This implies an
accuracy that is not there.

????

Farenheit himself used zero as determined by placing the thermometer in
an saturated brine solution, a second point at 32 a mix of ice and
water. The third point, was approximately the human body temperature,
referred to as "blood-heat" in the day, and was set at 96.

Sometime later, the 32F and 212F for freeze and boiling points were set
and that resulted in the conversion to 98.6.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:03:19 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:51:16 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:38:04 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:27:22 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

0 being freezing is very useful, it's the point where ice forms on the roads etc.

It also represents the place I have zero chance of living in.
If it gets to 0c, I am moving farther south.

So at 100C you have 100% chance of living?

No at 100c your still is pumping out water so you should have stopped
22 degrees ago.

What?

--
They say that when a man holds a woman's hand before marriage, it is
love; after marriage it is self-defense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Mark Lloyd:
If you had been using C all your life, THAT degree size would be more
normal.

It's not a matter of "Normal"..... It's knowing how cold/hot I'm going
to be when the temp is N degrees C.... If decimal points were the
norm, no problem... but they are not and there's a much bigger diff
between 40 and 41 in Celsius than in Fahrenheit.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message

Yup, stones and pounds.

What kind of stone? Pumice is one thing, stearite another

Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

0 being freezing is very useful, it's the point where ice forms on the
roads etc.

It also represents the place I have zero chance of living in.
If it gets to 0c, I am moving farther south.

So at 100C you have 100% chance of living?

No at 100c your still is pumping out water so you should have stopped
22 degrees ago.

What?

Alcohol boils at a temperature lower than water. If you are running a
still, you want to boil the alcohol, not the water..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes.
You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?

Money washing - we call it "laundering" - is not uncommon in the US.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

0 being freezing is very useful, it's the point where ice forms on the
roads etc.

It also represents the place I have zero chance of living in.
If it gets to 0c, I am moving farther south.

So at 100C you have 100% chance of living?

No at 100c your still is pumping out water so you should have stopped
22 degrees ago.

What?

Alcohol boils at a temperature lower than water. If you are running a
still, you want to boil the alcohol, not the water..

I don't have a still, and we weren't even discussing alcohol production.

--
You are the only person I know that has ever had a brain tumour removed from their arse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Scotland beat you to it. And you can wash paper notes, they're actually linen.

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:57:02 +0100, AL wrote:

On 10/22/2016 12:27 PM, Bod wrote:

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes. You can
even wash the money without damage. I don't think that the US has
done that yet....?

Sure we have plastic money. Been using it for many decades now. Called
credit cards. I very seldom use cash cash anymore. Even for small
transactions it's usually quicker and no change to hassle with. There's
no interest charge (when paid off) and my cash back card gives me back
(on average) $500/yr. Cash cash is pretty much obsolete for me.

You can also cancel them and tell them to shove their debt up their arse.

--
Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

Not according to the Basil Rathbone movie I was watching last night.

He died in the 60s. Your information may therefore be slightly out of date.

--
McMurphy fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a paper bag filled with vegetable soup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 22:48:47 +0100, dadiOH wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message

Yup, stones and pounds.

What kind of stone? Pumice is one thing, stearite another

Anything what can be used to clobber thee over the head.

--
Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:08:13 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

Bod wrote on 10/22/2016 :
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

It should be measured in 'grads' not degrees then. At least Fahrenheit
has 180 degrees between freezing and boiling which makes circular
calculations easier.

Actually, the history of the Fahrenheit scale has many twists and turns
before it settled in to what it is today.

WTF is a circular calculation? Decimal is always easier to calculate things in.

--
User has insufficient intelligence to complete this task, please insert a new user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:29:22 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.

0C for freezing point is easier to understand.

To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.

Who cares what the pool is at. You jump in and say "this is warm", "this is cold" etc.

There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

Are fractions too difficult for you?

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words. On occasion English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James Nicoll, rasfw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:48:48 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/10/2016 18:22, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/22/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

Only reason not to change is it is not easy to change old habits. I can
work with either so not a big deal.

Erm, we've used the metric money system since about 1970.
As for weight, we use both metric and imperial.
I thought it was the US who used pounds for weight measurement only still?

They're even too stupid to use stone. They weigh themselves as 140 pounds. Why use large numbers?

--
Why do MPs drive Volvos?
Because they have safe seats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:32:52 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:42:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 10/22/2016 10:45 AM, Bod wrote:
Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

I think 100F was supposed to be human body temperature. I'm not sure
about 0F.

I think zero f was when a saturated brine solution freezes.

No, that's -21C = -5.8F.

--
"If you have voted after you are dead, there is a good strong possibility that you did something illegal." -- Kevin Shwedo, California DMV director

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

What I stated has nothing to do with whether I or anyone else has
been to the UK in a long time. What I did state was why Alexander
Hamilton based the US currency on being able to be divisible by
10 instead of 3. In case your memory falls you Alex did all this
over 200 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:04:20 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/10/2016 18:29, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.
To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.
There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

The UK didn't have any problems changing over. Anyway, most electronic
thermometers give you the choice to set C or F.

The billion I was talking about are not electronic. Most people over
30 have mechanical or spirit thermometers that are generally more
accurate than an electronic one, in spite of the precision implied.
When we had electronic thermometers at work, we calibrated them with a
mercury Bacharach and we just assumed the electronic one was an
indicator, not a real measurement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had to scroll up a mile to see how old this thread was. 141 says you are idiots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:27:05 +0100, Bod wrote:

You can even wash the money without damage.
I don't think that the US has done that yet....?

US bills have been on rag paper pretty much forever and they go
through the washer just fine. I have some old bills that have been on
my boat for years, soaked in salt water, oil and gasoline from time to
time. They still spend just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 21:57:07 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

No at 100c your still is pumping out water so you should have stopped
22 degrees ago.

Obviously not a moon shiner ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 00:54:31 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:29:22 +0100, wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:45:34 +0100, Bod wrote:

Anu ideas why the USA hasn't changed to the Centigrade system?
Only a handful of countries use fahrenheit today.

Centigrade makes a much more logical system.
Centigrade: 0C is freezing and 100C is boiling.

If the only thing you are interested in is the state of distilled
water at sea level, I agree C is better. I use it in scientific
measurements regularly too but there are 50 million Americans who do
not want to be confused by two systems and it would take a while to
get them all switched over.

0C for freezing point is easier to understand.

But what is 80?

To start with we would need to buy about a billion new thermometers,
then learn what 30c means when we see that is what the pool is at.

Who cares what the pool is at. You jump in and say "this is warm", "this is cold" etc.

If you look at the thermometer and it says 77, you might not want to
jump in.
The real difference is when the pool starts to grow things.
That really starts to crank up at about 83-84f.

There is also that issue of how precise F is compared to C without
resorting to fractions of a degree, mentioned above.

Are fractions too difficult for you?

simply unnecessary complication.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 7:17:06 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

I had to scroll up a mile to see how old this thread was. 141 says you are idiots.

No one forced you read this thread. You have free will
to click it on or pass on by.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No one forced you to reply in kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 9:15:44 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

No one forced you to reply in kind.

At least I was contributing to the thread whereas
you...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/10/2016 20:57, AL wrote:
On 10/22/2016 12:27 PM, Bod wrote:

We also have started to use polymer instead of paper notes. You can
even wash the money without damage. I don't think that the US has
done that yet....?

Sure we have plastic money. Been using it for many decades now. Called
credit cards. I very seldom use cash cash anymore. Even for small
transactions it's usually quicker and no change to hassle with. There's
no interest charge (when paid off) and my cash back card gives me back
(on average) $500/yr. Cash cash is pretty much obsolete for me.

That's fine, but doesn't answer my question.