Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Temperature system of the USA

On 10/22/2016 12:34 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:42:12 -0500, Mark wrote:

I think 100F was supposed to be human body temperature. I'm not sure
about 0F.

No. Some time back they took the temperature of 10,000 people in
centigrade. They averaged the temperatures. Then they rounded to the
nearest centigrade, or 37C. Then they converted to 98.6F. This implies an
accuracy that is not there.

????

Farenheit himself used zero as determined by placing the thermometer in
an saturated brine solution, a second point at 32 a mix of ice and
water. The third point, was approximately the human body temperature,
referred to as "blood-heat" in the day, and was set at 96.

Sometime later, the 32F and 212F for freeze and boiling points were set
and that resulted in the conversion to 98.6.