Posted to alt.home.repair
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Temperature system of the USA

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:55:15 PM UTC-5, Pat wrote:

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:34:29 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:22:39 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Probably the same reason Brits use pounds instead of 10 bases dollars.
12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound. Worse than our
temperature system.

That's why Alexander Hamilton set up our monetary system to be
easily divisible. It's a lot easier to divide numbers by 10
(our system) than the British system of dividing by 3.

I take it neither of you has been to the UK in a long while. They use
a decimal system just like ours and have been doing so for decades.

What I stated has nothing to do with whether I or anyone else has
been to the UK in a long time. What I did state was why Alexander
Hamilton based the US currency on being able to be divisible by
10 instead of 3. In case your memory falls you Alex did all this
over 200 years ago.