Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Blood pressure

On 10/15/2016 05:28 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

I take niacin for cholesterol, 1g 2x day, but it also reduces blood
pressure. The only negative is occasional "flush" (red skin, sometimes
prickling - take it after food). I found out early on that niacin listed
as "no flush" or "slow release" do not help the cholesterol levels.
Might be worth talking to your doc about that.

My doctor told be to take niacin for cholesterol too. So far I haven't
been able to take as much (I take 1g on even days and 750mg on odd days).

--
70 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We know, on the authority of Moses, that longer than six thousand years
the world did not exist." [Martin Luther (1483-1546) "Lectures on
Genesis"]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2016 12:54 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I've had crusty old pharmacists, decades ago before pharmacies had computer systems, tell me my doctor was an idiot based on what was prescribed for me. If a doctor ever prescribes a diuretic without supplemental potassium, complain, complain very loudly because potassium loss can kill you. A good physician doesn't mind answering questions if you have some idea of what you're talking about.

Conversely the ACE inhibitors like lisinopril can cause high potassium
levels. Salt substitutes with potassium chloride are contra-indicated.
Some doctors will also include potassium rich foods.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message ...
On 10/15/2016 05:28 PM, Bob F wrote:

[snip]

I take niacin for cholesterol, 1g 2x day, but it also reduces blood
pressure. The only negative is occasional "flush" (red skin, sometimes
prickling - take it after food). I found out early on that niacin listed
as "no flush" or "slow release" do not help the cholesterol levels.
Might be worth talking to your doc about that.

My doctor told be to take niacin for cholesterol too. So far I haven't
been able to take as much (I take 1g on even days and 750mg on odd days).

--
70 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Yep, this is theee worst time of the year for overeating. Started already - both bags of goodies for the treat or treaters are gone..... First cool day and the wife makes her infamous potato salad. I don't know why they call it "salad".... Anyway, most of the first batch was et up before the stove had cooled off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 8:13:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 10/16/2016 12:54 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I've had crusty old pharmacists, decades ago before pharmacies had computer systems, tell me my doctor was an idiot based on what was prescribed for me. If a doctor ever prescribes a diuretic without supplemental potassium, complain, complain very loudly because potassium loss can kill you. A good physician doesn't mind answering questions if you have some idea of what you're talking about.

Conversely the ACE inhibitors like lisinopril can cause high potassium
levels. Salt substitutes with potassium chloride are contra-indicated.
Some doctors will also include potassium rich foods.

I used to take Lisinopril and HCTZ plus potassium. Now I take Furosemide and potassium along with a shovelful of pills the nurses give me daily. I despise drugs. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Drugged Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2016 06:05 PM, Frank wrote:

snip

I eat almost continuously and that will just plain have to stop.

My wife and I both have quit drinking and on the good side...I never
smoked and she quit about 16 years ago.

I have lost quite a few friend due to smoking and some of those alive
are on exygen

Smoking is the worse thing you can do to your body. I quit in my late
20's. I've known several people that died of lung cancer including one
on the surgeon generals committee that condemned cancer and switched to
Larks because of the charcoal filter. I also had two uncles with
emphysema which was the main driving force to make me quit.

Yep it's nothing but bad news.
When my wife moved in here 16 years ago I made her smoke outside.

First -20F day she decided to quit.

Now she hates smoke worse than I do.

Also lost a few to colon cancer...they were around 50 and figured they
were too young to get tested.

As to my blood pressure, by my cutting out excess salt I saw improvement
but still it was too high.

Saw my doctor first thing this morning and he put me on a very low dose
of Amlopodine, 2.5mg

Five hours later my BP is down to a high normal.
He told me to give it a week to make sure I don't have any side effects

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2016 09:43 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I don't like the idea of taking drugs but if they will improve my life
I'm all for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2016 11:01 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I've heard of a couple bad results with infection. It is a big deal.

Lady I used to work with had both knees replaced.

One got infected.

They had to cut it apart, remove the prosthesis, and stuff it with
antibiotics.

She spent something like 5 months laying on the couch with her leg in
two pieces.

That was my worst nightmare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2016 06:13 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/14/2016 12:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/14/2016 2:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/14/2016 12:36 PM, philo wrote:
Since (self included) most here are a bunch of grumpy old men I thought
this worth asking.

I'm 67 years old and have always had good checkups. I also take my
pulse
occasionally and it's always been excellent...typical 62 or so. My
assumption was "all ok."

Have not had a physical in a few years but recently had one and my
blood
pressure was about 40 points high. Doc said not to panic...happens
pretty often to men in my age group and I will return in a few days to
probably get medication.

In the mean time I got a blood pressure meter and have cut back on
sodium intake. After a few days my pressure dropped about ten points
and
I also noticed that coffee (thankfully) did not affect things.

Anyone else here taking blood pressure meds? If so, what are the
results
and how many pills a day do you take?

thanks

Much of the over 50 crowd is on pills of some sort. I take metropolol
50 mg twice a day. In addition to thyroid and a couple of ibuprofen to
keep the knees pain free.

I don't use a lot of salt and it does not seem to matter for me. I've
been trying to lose 20 pounds for the past 10 years with no luck.

At 67 you should be on medicare with no cost for physicals.

I'm on 5 plus eye vitamins for AMD, one baby aspirin, fish oil,
glucosamine. All recommended by doctors.

Might mention I was talking to a guy today that had same problem with
ibuprofen that I did in taking it for a couple of months and seeing
liver enzymes go way up. Over 25 years ago recovering from surgery to
repair broken collar bone, surgeon gave me codeine but I hate opiates
and took a lot of ibuprofen instead.

For me, the best thing I've found for arthritis is LOTS of aerobic
exercise. I do 45 minutes on the exercise bike most mornings, and my
knees and other joints always feel better after the exercise. I do take
an anti inflammatory on days I'm going to spend 4-5 hours playing
volleyball or snowboarding after the bike thing. I'm 67, and definitely
exercise more than I ever did when younger. The fun thing is that I am
getting better at both activities year after year.

Supposedly, aerobic exercise increases the activity of stem cells in
your joints, helping them heal the joints. I've had minor miniscus tear
surgeries in each knee, and read about this when I investigated stem
cell injection therapies for that problem.

Yep. Nothing like good exercise.

I should have done fast walking rather than jogging though.

Pretty sure all those years of jogging contributed to my knees going bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2016 05:47 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/14/2016 11:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

At 67 you should be on medicare with no cost for physicals.

I have been led to believe that Medicare does not cover routine physicals

When I went in to my doctor they told me that a routine physical was not
covered but they worded my checkup in such a way as to get me covered.

It seemed weird

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 9:00 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

Healthy eating and lots of exercise will make a bigger difference.
I'm down to an anti inflamatory once or twice a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
Since (self included) most here are a bunch of grumpy old men I thought this worth asking.

I'm 67 years old and have always had good checkups. I also take my pulse
occasionally and it's always been excellent...typical 62 or so. My assumption was "all ok."

Have not had a physical in a few years but recently had one and my blood
pressure was about 40 points high. Doc said not to panic...happens pretty
often to men in my age group and I will return in a few days to probably get medication.

In the mean time I got a blood pressure meter and have cut back on sodium
intake. After a few days my pressure dropped about ten points and I also
noticed that coffee (thankfully) did not affect things.

Anyone else here taking blood pressure meds? If so, what are the results
and how many pills a day do you take?

thanks

I take one irbesartan a day. A vessel dilator. I used to take a diuretic
for years. I used to drink too much alcohol too. At times I used to get up
around 160/90.

Greg