Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default OT Blood pressure

On 10/15/2016 06:13 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/14/2016 12:28 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/14/2016 2:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/14/2016 12:36 PM, philo wrote:
Since (self included) most here are a bunch of grumpy old men I thought
this worth asking.

I'm 67 years old and have always had good checkups. I also take my
pulse
occasionally and it's always been excellent...typical 62 or so. My
assumption was "all ok."

Have not had a physical in a few years but recently had one and my
blood
pressure was about 40 points high. Doc said not to panic...happens
pretty often to men in my age group and I will return in a few days to
probably get medication.

In the mean time I got a blood pressure meter and have cut back on
sodium intake. After a few days my pressure dropped about ten points
and
I also noticed that coffee (thankfully) did not affect things.

Anyone else here taking blood pressure meds? If so, what are the
results
and how many pills a day do you take?

thanks

Much of the over 50 crowd is on pills of some sort. I take metropolol
50 mg twice a day. In addition to thyroid and a couple of ibuprofen to
keep the knees pain free.

I don't use a lot of salt and it does not seem to matter for me. I've
been trying to lose 20 pounds for the past 10 years with no luck.

At 67 you should be on medicare with no cost for physicals.

I'm on 5 plus eye vitamins for AMD, one baby aspirin, fish oil,
glucosamine. All recommended by doctors.

Might mention I was talking to a guy today that had same problem with
ibuprofen that I did in taking it for a couple of months and seeing
liver enzymes go way up. Over 25 years ago recovering from surgery to
repair broken collar bone, surgeon gave me codeine but I hate opiates
and took a lot of ibuprofen instead.

For me, the best thing I've found for arthritis is LOTS of aerobic
exercise. I do 45 minutes on the exercise bike most mornings, and my
knees and other joints always feel better after the exercise. I do take
an anti inflammatory on days I'm going to spend 4-5 hours playing
volleyball or snowboarding after the bike thing. I'm 67, and definitely
exercise more than I ever did when younger. The fun thing is that I am
getting better at both activities year after year.

Supposedly, aerobic exercise increases the activity of stem cells in
your joints, helping them heal the joints. I've had minor miniscus tear
surgeries in each knee, and read about this when I investigated stem
cell injection therapies for that problem.

Yep. Nothing like good exercise.

I should have done fast walking rather than jogging though.

Pretty sure all those years of jogging contributed to my knees going bad.